PDA

View Full Version : life rafts for Bass Strait crossing

tonyharr
8th Feb 2017, 08:21
Hi,
Another pilot and I are heading down from Sydney to Tasmania in our aircraft in a couple of weeks for the round Tasmania race. I'm planning on filing IFR and keeping up high, but...

Thinking of the Bass Strait crossing, we have life jackets but what about a life raft?

Is there places I can hire a two person raft from? Not sure I want to buy one, as this may be the first and last time I use it...

Any advice is gratefully received.

Duck Pilot
8th Feb 2017, 09:02
Useless if you haven't done any wet training in a pool with one. You shouldn't need it from a legal perspective unless you decide to go halfway to gods land on the way down and back. Important that it's stowed adjacent to an exit, no good in the baggage compartment as they are heavy.

Well worth considering if you can get one.

Icarus2001
8th Feb 2017, 09:49
Life Raft Rentals - Great Circle Life Rafts - Marine Emergency Equipment Australia (http://buyonline.greatcircleliferafts.com.au/category.php?id_category=19)

Rates ? Packraft Australia (http://www.packraftaustralia.com.au/rentals/)

gerry111
8th Feb 2017, 10:59
"Useless if you haven't done any wet training in a pool with one."

I agree. As part of obtaining a NSW Boat Driver's Licence, I attended a safety course conducted by Marine Rescue at Cottage Point. That was a couple of years ago and part of the training was to haul people into a life raft. (It's not that easy, even in calm Cowen Creek!) We were also taught survival skills which would needed if you ended up in Bass Strait. (Hint: You're going to have to get close up and personal with your mate. That's if you do a huddle to try to mitigate hypothermia..)

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
8th Feb 2017, 22:15
as this may be the first and last time I use it...

Perhaps ....as this may be the first and last time I need to carry one..... would have been a better turn of phrase?

Aussie Bob
8th Feb 2017, 22:27
Go via Cape Otway to Cape Wickham on King Island as high as possible, thence Bold Head (still on KI) to Three Hummock Island. The "outside of gliding distance" becomes minimal. Choose a northwesterly day (common) for going down. Look for southerlies going home if possible.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
9th Feb 2017, 07:43
And, a 'personal' GPS EPIRB may be 'handy', something in the GME MT410G, or similar, range.

Fits in ya top pocket, and is easy to use ...if req'd.

Cheers...And 'ava good trip....:ok:

ChrisJ800
9th Feb 2017, 08:40
What is the round tasmania race?

Lead Balloon
10th Feb 2017, 00:20
Make sure you have a complete understanding of how the thing can be inflated, not only because you have to be able to do it in very adverse circumstances, but also because you will almost certainly die if it is inadvertently inflated in the air. A knife to which you have immediate access may reduce the risk of structural damage and you being pressed full forward against the control column/stick, but a knife won't guarantee it.

Have a look at the pictures in this theand to see what inadvertent activation (in this case, fortunately on the ground) can do to a light aircraft: https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97082&hilit=Raft+Inflate&start=0

OK4Wire
10th Feb 2017, 04:35
Useless if you haven't done any wet training in a pool with one

Not entirely accurate, I would venture.

Having done a myriad of sea survival courses, if all you can manage is to climb into your raft (and nothing else) I reckon your chances of survival would increase enormously versus just bobbing about in a cold and lumpy ocean.

Obviously, as others have said, have it ready and know how to inflate it.

tonyharr
14th Feb 2017, 08:33
Thanks for the replies and suggestions - really appreciated.

@Chrisj800 - the round Tasmania race is the weekend after next. Organised by Wynyard Aero Club. About 20 aircraft taking part and it's a circumnavigation of the island in two days, via waypoints.

Should be a lark!