PDA

View Full Version : Edgerley Optica

Tashengurt
7th Feb 2017, 22:42
Just been watching a programme from 2015 and it briefly shows a taxiing Optica.
I know moves were afoot to try again with these but didn't know they were so advanced. Google not much help.
Are we to see more of these curious beasts soon?

DaveReidUK
8th Feb 2017, 06:34
Google not much help.

Maybe try "Edgley Optica", rather than "Edgerley" ?

Are we to see more of these curious beasts soon?Very doubtful.

ShyTorque
8th Feb 2017, 08:23
There's still just the one flying about.

Newforest2
8th Feb 2017, 13:50
Maybe only one in the UK, but overseas there are more!

El Bunto
8th Feb 2017, 19:12
Optica was one of those Great Ideas In Theory that didn't translate into a Compelling Idea In Practice. I think the later Seabird Seeker, as well as the Partenavia Observer, demonstrated that whilst it seemed attractive to have an aircraft with the visibility of a helicopter but running costs of an aeroplane, in practice potential operators either preferred the versatility of a helicopter ( private companies ) or didn't give a fig about the running costs ( police & military forces ).

dabchick
9th Feb 2017, 07:02
A wonderful aeroplane that deserved better things. Maybe I am biased as I worked for them for a summer while doing my engineering HND.
Yes there were difficulties including the loss in May 1985 of the one operated by Hampshire Police.
I got the chance to fly in the prototype - fabulous experience.
We had the exceptional Neville Duke do some of the test flying, a true gentleman.

chevvron
9th Feb 2017, 10:02
I always thought it should have had leading edge devices that came out automactaly at low speed like a Sud Rallye.
Why bother? I got the speed back to about 45 kt ias when landing the prototype at Farnborough with Angus McVitie; wouldn't have thought you would need to go slower.
The Hampshire Police one was actually (unofficially?) in operation the day before the tragic accident; it was conducting a search at Aldershot and I was talking to it from Farnborough Tower.

wub
12th Feb 2017, 07:30
The Optica featured in a film starring Mark Hamill, called 'Slipstream'

El Bunto
12th Feb 2017, 08:52
The RUC in Northern Ireland ran trials with both the Observer and the Optica back in the mid-late 1980s, I had a colleague whose father was involved. In the end they decided on a combination of Islanders and helicopters for their work, the latter for surveillance with Heli-Teli and Chancellor pods.

surely not
12th Feb 2017, 17:53
Button Push, I think you will find it was the Hampshire Constabulary in UK that had the accident not the New Hampshire Police in USA

bvcu
12th Feb 2017, 18:07
pretty poor takeoff performance as well due to fixed pitch fan , had to put a bigger engine in to make it acceptable. Wasn't to impressive out of old sarum compared to an auster towing a 2 seat glider!!!!

Martin the Martian
18th Feb 2017, 13:02
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/farnborough-optica-moves-a-stop-closer-to-relaunch-427435/

Newforest2
18th Feb 2017, 14:07
Great news, now if someone could just amend the thread title? :ugh:

DaveReidUK
18th Feb 2017, 15:05
Anybody know why the factory burnt?
Was it industrial espionage?

Throughout the history of aviation, "hangar fire" has tended to have other connotations.

Allegedly. :O

chevvron
19th Feb 2017, 10:10
pretty poor takeoff performance as well due to fixed pitch fan , had to put a bigger engine in to make it acceptable. Wasn't to impressive out of old sarum compared to an auster towing a 2 seat glider!!!!
Even the low powered prototype was quite sprightly on a hard runway.