PDA

View Full Version : "The Lost Airmen of Buchenwald"

PPRuNeUser0139
6th Feb 2017, 21:26
In a little-known story (http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/04/05/lost-airmen-of-buchenwald-a-documentary/), 168 Allied airmen were imprisoned at Buchenwald in the closing months of World War II. I'm not sure if this link to the film "The Lost Airmen of Buchenwald" will work for you in the UK but try it:
http://moviehubs.net/watch/lx26L1xe-lost-airmen-of-buchenwald.html

Herod
6th Feb 2017, 21:56
A horrendous story. The film does work in the UK, at least the first minute or so. I need to set aside a couple of hours for it.

Wander00
7th Feb 2017, 08:12
Well, works in France so will allocate the necessary time - a story of which I knew nothing

ICM
7th Feb 2017, 11:27
Part of the reason for the story not being better known may lie in the unwillingness of Allied authorities to have it publicised when the men were eventually freed and repatriated. (From Buchenwald they were transferred into the 'proper' Luftwaffe POW system.) Why that should have been, I cannot say, but I understand it to be so.

A book "168 Jump into Hell" by Arthur G. Kinnis and Stanley A. Booker was published in Canada in 1999. Channel 5 ran a film "Bomber Boys" on the story in 2011.

In most cases, the men's stories started with betrayal to the SS by a Resistance collaborator and incarceration in a jail near Paris, out of the POW system, with their transfer to Buchenwald occurring as the Allies neared Paris. And if, years ago, you ever read "The White Rabbit" by Bruce Marshall, about the experiences of SOE agent Peter Yeo-Thomas, first published back in 1952, you would have found an incidental reference to the 168 in his time in Buchenwald.

Fareastdriver
7th Feb 2017, 20:49
Fascinating film. Thanks for the link.

ICT_SLB
8th Feb 2017, 03:57
Works in the USA too.

Rallye Driver
8th Feb 2017, 17:48
I was fortunate to give a lift to one of these pilots back in 2006. Jimmy Stewart, who flew Typhoons with 609 Squadron, was over from Canada to attend a reunion during Flying Legends at Duxford that year, and I took him back to south London where he was staying with his great niece and her family.

Jimmy had flown catapult Hurricanes previously as well. He was shot down over France just before D-Day and because of all the transport problems was locked up in the local prison. Once the Germans decided it was time to move everyone out he was shifted to Buchenwald.

After the war he moved to Canada. A fine gentleman with lots of interesting stories to tell.

RD

PPRuNeUser0139
9th Feb 2017, 06:39
I once met Bob Barckley - another former Typhoon pilot who was shot down and evaded successfully.. What a character!:D It was a real privilege to meet him. He is still with us as well.