PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Video files

david1300
6th Feb 2017, 05:07
I have 3 MP4 video files that cannot be read as the power was interrupted during the recording process (heavy camera jolt causing temporary battery disconnect is my guess). Does anyone know of a reliable FREE repair tool - I only need it for 3 files. I have done some research online but as it's not something I need often I am looking for help from someone who has used this before.

Many thanks.

safelife
6th Feb 2017, 08:29
Did you have a go with ffmpeg? It's a powerful tool, and it's free.

david1300
6th Feb 2017, 23:38
Thank you for the suggestion. I have downloaded ffmpeg from here https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows and unzipped the files but I cannot find any way of starting/loading the software :confused: I'm afraid it is in computerspeak beyond my capability. It obviously is a useful and powerful tool as my searches find elements of it in Audacity and Pinnacle studio - bot well used software.

If you can offer any help i'd be grateful :ok:

ChrisJ800
7th Feb 2017, 00:46
Many of the for money products let you use for free on 50% of the file so the trick is to double up the file size by using copy + . Plenty of options around if you google for it but you may need help by a friend or family that is computer savvy!

david1300
7th Feb 2017, 03:36
OK - I managed to install and use ffmpeg, thanks to 2 Youtube videos. Unfortunately when trying the repair/copy it tells me: moov atom not found. Invalid data found when processing input.

Chris - I had moderate success with one of these free ones, but cannot replicate my moderate success. Yep, doubled up the file as you suggested but cannot find my notes on which one and how I did it. The output was moderate, however, so I'm looking at something that works that someone may have experience with. Thanks for your input :ok::ok:

Mac the Knife
7th Feb 2017, 06:46
Have you tried Audacity? AudacityŽ (http://www.audacityteam.org/)

AudacityŽ is free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

Mac

Glamdring
14th Feb 2017, 06:01
You could try Freemake Video Converter to convert to a different file format, it has for me in the past managed to convert damaged MP4s to working MKVs.