PDA

View Full Version : QR921 world's longest commercial flight

Bonzo777
6th Feb 2017, 04:07
https://planefinder.net/data/flight/QR921
En route now, flight tIme expected 17,5 hours.

vctenderness
6th Feb 2017, 08:22
How many people want to fly from Auckland to Doha? Can this be commercially successful?

Mlambin
6th Feb 2017, 08:31
Maybe it's a shortcut for others destinations. It's like the new Perth to London, maybe an easiest way to go to Europe for Australians.

ATCO1962
6th Feb 2017, 08:33
It's all to do with connections. Qatar draws a lot of tourists from Europe and the Americas to Doha and simply connects them on to NZ. We get a lot of tourists, believe it or not. Emirates has 5 flights a day to NZ, one of them non-stop from Dubai to Auckland and they are having no trouble filling the seats. I can't remember the last time we had much more than a smattering of empty seats going over there and that's about two flights a year for a decade.

rjtjrt
6th Feb 2017, 08:35
Vctenderness
I am surprised you ask.
I imagine NZ people who want to get to a European city. Auckland has 1.4million plus population, a booming economy and first world wealth and lifestyle.

Chris2303
6th Feb 2017, 08:41
Auckland has 1.4million plus population, a booking ecomomy and first world wealth and lifestyle.

First world wealth and lifestyle?

Must be a Government politician speaking.

:rolleyes:

vctenderness
6th Feb 2017, 08:49
Rjtjrt: I was more thinking of why would all those well educated, sophisticated, wealthy New Zealander's want to fly directly to a concrete jungle rising out of a dust bowl

donpizmeov
6th Feb 2017, 08:50
Saves a lot of folks getting a transit visa for the Oz stop.

PoppaJo
6th Feb 2017, 09:07
Auckland and beyond is nothing more than a pi$$ing match from the land of the sand.

This picture says it all.

AKL
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/~/media/Images/Traveller/Terminal-Updates/EmiratesA380s.ashx?h=620&w=994&la=en&hash=23D8978DF32C6FCB0CEDF67058C79DAC6D986B59

dixi188
6th Feb 2017, 10:07
It is the longest commercial flight at the moment, but SIA did SIN-EWR for a few years and I believe are planning to start it up again.

GC tracker has AKL-DOH as 7843nm and SIN-EWR as 8279nm.

ExXB
6th Feb 2017, 10:55
Bragging rights, nothing more, nothing less.

Is this more fuel efficient than having an intermediate stop? It does take fuel to carry the fuel, doesn't it?

RAT 5
6th Feb 2017, 11:02
Doha - NZ, non-stop. It has often been said that going to NZ from the northern-western hemisphere is like time travel, backwards. I've never been to Doha, but I wonder at boarding an a/c in either land and emerging in the other. Which is the forward time & which is the backward? They are certainly both very different and a culture shock in either direction.

Groundloop
6th Feb 2017, 11:25
Is this more fuel efficient than having an intermediate stop?

No. The amount of fuel burnt simply to carry enough fuel to fly non-stop is a lot more than flying half-way to land and refuel.

IcePack
6th Feb 2017, 11:53
Guess it depends how much it costs to land & take off.

rjtjrt
6th Feb 2017, 19:33
Rjtjrt: I was more thinking of why would all those well educated, sophisticated, wealthy New Zealander's want to fly directly to a concrete jungle rising out of a dust bowl
I didn't say they were sophisticated. Not compared to we Australians!!
However, on further reflection, I agree. I think the middle east hubs are not in any way attractive. Singapore as a hub for onward transfer to Europe flights is much more desirable. Or US as a transfer to onward flights.

vctenderness
7th Feb 2017, 08:36
I rest my case.......

Heathrow Harry
7th Feb 2017, 08:40
What can you say.......................

Australins and Kiwis arguing over who is the most sophisticated...............

brings to mind the immortal line from Jorge-Lius Borges over the Falklands War

"two bald men arguing over a comb"

HeartyMeatballs
7th Feb 2017, 19:22
I'm just waiting to see where is next. Once QF start PER-LON the ME3 will need a new 'worlds biggest'. And then after that, QF will need a new longest route, and so on.

racedo
8th Feb 2017, 19:18
Let Virgin spaceflights get operating and then ask the airlines about longest flight.

DaveReidUK
8th Feb 2017, 20:11
I'm just waiting for someone to start serving Hamilton (NZ) to Cordoba (Spain).

12,418 statute miles - beat that ! :O

SunchaserMIA
9th Feb 2017, 15:12
In Business it is okay but how can someone opt for Y on this? In that case I would rather add some ground time to make the whole journey more enjoyable.

Weren't many of these ultra longhauls in an all-business configuration in the past?