PDA

View Full Version : Russian Military to Replace All Lightweight Fighters With MiG-35

bantaa
2nd Feb 2017, 06:00
Russia plans to change its fleet of light fighters for the newest MiG-35. I’d be startled if this turns out to be true..

http://mil.today/2017/Weapons38/

Martin the Martian
2nd Feb 2017, 11:47
What do they mean by lightweight fighters? The Russians only have Fulcrums, Flankers and Foxhounds in their fighter fleets, and I wouldn't describe any of those as lightweight.

Stuff
2nd Feb 2017, 11:55
Something is either getting lost in translation or the authors of that website live in fantasy land.

In another article they describe the AEA for PAK-FA:

An advanced antigravity suit was developed for pilots of the fifth-generation Russian fighter, a prospective airborne complex of frontline aviation (PAK FA), reported TASS on Wednesday, Jan 11

Antigravity eh? Now that is advanced!

ORAC
2nd Feb 2017, 12:13
G-Suit/Anti-gravity suit, understandable mistake for a non-English speaker using an online translator to make.

Stuff
2nd Feb 2017, 13:36
That's exactly my point. If we can work out what 'lightweight fighter' should translate into the initial article will make more sense.

Pontius Navigator
2nd Feb 2017, 14:09
Odd, I read it as replacing Mig 29 with Mig 35. Nothing strange there and no timescale.

MiG-35 represents the further development of MiG-29K/KUB and MiG-29M/M2 warplanes. Reliability of the aircraft, engines and onboard electronics were improved, service life of the airframe was extended as well. According to MiG officials, cost per flight-hour of MiG-35 is almost 2.5 times less than that of the MiG-29 jets.

KenV
2nd Feb 2017, 16:03
FWIW it's worth, there is often a vast difference between intending to replace all MiG 29 with MiG 35, and finding the funds to actually make that happen.

ORAC
2nd Feb 2017, 17:20
The general should be careful what he says - the bean counters are the same everywhere. Doing a search on the latest articles and a bit of translation he makes comments such as "twice the range", "twice the payload" etc; dangerous - the bean counters will say, "right, so you only need half as many then".

I remember being told to be scrupulous at only talking about tankers as range extenders rather than "force multipliers" etc - walls have ears....

melmothtw
3rd Feb 2017, 05:26
I'm not sure the Russians had ever committed to the Mig35 for their own air force as it had been developed mainly for export. I guess what's new here is that (verbal) commitment.

A_Van
3rd Feb 2017, 06:20
Nothing but juggling with words and indices. Fundamentally it's the same MiG-29 with new avionics, new engines, etc.
Consider evolution of F-15 from A thru E or -SE, or similar F/A-18 history.