PDA

View Full Version : US Preclearance in Dublin and Shannon

alserire
30th Jan 2017, 16:18
An Irish government minister is seeking a 'review' of US preclearance in light of Mr. Trump's recent orders.

It would, in my humble opinion, be a very foolish move to interfere with this from an Irish perspective.

There is no evidence of anyone being refused entry via Dublin. Any change or stoppage of preclearance will only affect mostly Irish passengers and will have no effect whatsoever.

PAXboy
30th Jan 2017, 20:50
Obviously that Irish minister is very keen to see his country lose all that revenue, pax who decide to break the journey there with more cash, employment and future for their airlines.

Sounds like an all round smart move entirely in line with the current generation of politicians!

The minister can expect Willy Walsh to move tanks on to his front lawn very soon... :}

alserire
30th Jan 2017, 21:43
Taoiseach (PM) is actually going ahead with the review. For those not au fait with Irish politics we have a very weak government propped up by rag bag of independents, one of whom (amazingly an American citizen who has lived in Ireland for years and a woman, for what it's worth PAXboy!) called for a review. And Kenny is granting it. It is nothing short of staggering.

Apparently ONE whole person was stopped over the weekend. So we have to have a review.

As a wit on another website pointed out, our neighbours have basically thrown up the barriers to the entire EU for good and may well throw up the barriers on this island again but there's been no marches, protests or anything other than attempts to sweet talk our UK friends into being nice to us and we'll be nice to them. The Yanks do it for a few months and we throw the toys out of the pram.

It would be nothing short of catastrophic to suspend, or otherwise, preclearance. But like most politicians ours only care about clinging to power.

I've two trips coming up soon and I'll never forgive them is they make me queue up in JFK and LAX!

ExXB
31st Jan 2017, 05:38
You seem to be of the opinion that any reviews is going to be negative. Does your Taoiseach rule by decree? Or, unlike other countries, does your parliament make the laws?

alserire
31st Jan 2017, 06:32
He rules very badly. And is dependent both on independents voting with him and on the main opposition party abstaining on most votes. They have already lost six parliamentary votes in less than a year.

So while all may well be fine. But in my view the 'review' is entirely unwarranted. 1.2 million people availed of it last year. Even the idea of giving it up is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

Economics101
31st Jan 2017, 21:23
The problem is that a few of the ragbag of independent attention-seekers are cabinet ministers and are using this for publicity/virtue-signalling. I would assume that the review will opt to retain the status quo, having pointed out the huge cost and inconvenience of doing anything else, plus the possible adverse effects on Irish undocumented in the US (for whom the same politicians always look for specially favourable treatment).

I get the impression that just about everywhere the protests against the immigration policy of the US administration is anti-Trump and not anti American. In Ireland however the Left will use this as an excuse to indulge in their usual anti-American nonsense.

I despise Trump, but the antics of the far left almost make me support him.