View Full Version : Trump Travel Ban

AirDemandPump2
29th Jan 2017, 08:23
What's the current operational impact of the trump ban on crewmembers from the affected countries? Anybody on a US layover with more info?

pfvspnf
29th Jan 2017, 13:55
Very curious as they even wanted to target dual citizens of these countries !

Jetjock330
29th Jan 2017, 15:47
Here we go! (https://lovindubai.com/news/emirates-roster-schedule-change)

pumpkin
29th Jan 2017, 17:11
Wonder how much this is going to affect revenue- seems to me mostly Indians on the NA routes so maybe not a lot of impact.

pumpkin
29th Jan 2017, 17:15
..unless of course he bans ME carriers..

Officer Kite
29th Jan 2017, 17:45
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-immigration-emirates-idUSKBN15D0JM

Something that will affect all the ME3 surely, a nightmare

Frozen Turtle
30th Jan 2017, 00:45
Emirates have changed pilots on crew rosters for US bound flights

In my ten years in EK I have never flown with a pilot of the 7 mentioned/ banded islamic countries. Iranian and Syrian cabin crew might be affected though.

A6EchoEchoUniform
30th Jan 2017, 03:20
Guessing that there's at least one A380 skipper that's from the countries that are restricted. My roster was amended and a LAX trip was added in place of an Australia trip.

Praise Jebus
30th Jan 2017, 04:32
Appears OK as long as the affected national's trip doesn't originate from the countries mentioned?? Funny though I thought Osama BH was Saudi and hung out in Afghanistan ...

Matvey
30th Jan 2017, 21:35
Appears OK as long as the affected national's trip doesn't originate from the countries mentioned?? Funny though I thought Osama BH was Saudi and hung out in Afghanistan ...
If you're holding a passport from any of the 7, you are denied entry to the United States. Trip origin has nothing to do with it (there are no direct flights to the US from any of the 7 anyway, so everyone is coming from a third country). Doesn't matter if standard visa with the former I-94 or a crew visa with an I-95.

The exception appears to be if you're a dual from the 7 and not traveling on the banned passport (e.g., an Iran-UK dual traveling on the UK passport is admissible). If, however, you're an Iran-UK dual on a visa status (like a student) and the visa is in your Iran passport, then you're no-go.

darkroomsource
31st Jan 2017, 06:56
Funny though I thought Osama BH was Saudi and hung out in Afghanistan ...
The list of countries wasn't made by Trump, or any of his "team".
It is the list that Obama came up with in 2015. (he banned travel into the USA 6 times during his 8 years)

Adour
31st Jan 2017, 08:26
The list of countries wasn't made by Trump, or any of his "team".
It is the list that Obama came up with in 2015. (he banned travel into the USA 6 times during his 8 years)

Except that's not really true:

Sorry, Mr. President: The Obama Administration Did Nothing Similar to Your Immigration Ban | Foreign Policy (http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/30/sorry-mr-president-the-obama-administration-did-nothing-similar-to-your-immigration-ban/)

"Trump’s claim that the seven countries listed in the executive order came from the Obama administration is conveniently left unexplained. A bit of background: soon after the December 2015 terror attack in San Bernadino, President Obama signed an amendment to the Visa Waiver Program, a law that allows citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States without obtaining visas (and gives Americans reciprocal privileges in those countries). The amendment removed from the Visa Waiver Program dual nationals who were citizens of four countries (Iraq, Iran, Sudan, and Syria), or anyone who had recently traveled to those countries. The Obama administration added three more to the list (Libya, Somalia, and Yemen), bringing the total to seven. But this law did not bar anyone from coming to the United States. It only required a relatively small percentage of people to obtain a visa first. And to avoid punishing people who clearly had good reasons to travel to the relevant countries, the Obama administration used a waiver provided by Congress for certain travelers, including journalists, aid workers, and officials from international organizations like the United Nations."

fliion
31st Jan 2017, 13:16
And nor did it apply to green card holders and dual passport holders.

Craggenmore
31st Jan 2017, 17:05
What's the current operational impact of the trump ban on crewmembers from the affected countries? Anybody on a US layover with more info?

I hope it reduces our hours from an unsustainable 105hr a month to a sustainable 80hr a month.

If it does, long live Trump.

The Outlaw
31st Jan 2017, 18:32
Custom uses new tools to maintain consistency.

3Greens
31st Jan 2017, 18:48
not much different to UAE (and others) banning Israelis or anyone with a stamp in their passport.

Wizofoz
31st Jan 2017, 22:43
not much different to UAE (and others) banning Israelis or anyone with a stamp in their passport.

So do you support the UAE doing that, or do you think it's the sort of thing a civilized country shouldn't do?

4runner
31st Jan 2017, 23:41
A "civilized" country has the right, I mean duty, to defend her borders and population from "uncivilized" wretches that intend to do harm. I get secondary screening every time I go to the US as I've travelled to Sudan, Somalia and possibly other countries. I'm Christian and have to wear sunscreen at the beach. I guess I'm a "victim".

fatbus
1st Feb 2017, 05:06
Are you implying the UAE is a civilized country?

Officer Kite
1st Feb 2017, 09:25
Are you implying the UAE is a civilized country?

Depends where you come from ... though a quick trip on the metro at rush hour would have someone from anywhere thinking otherwise :E

Deep and fast
1st Feb 2017, 23:04
And what will happen if Iran get renewed sanctions and decide to deny western airlines access to its airspace?

fatbus
2nd Feb 2017, 01:36
Same as Iraq or Ukraine fly around it.

fliion
2nd Feb 2017, 02:14
"The challenge for the administration in contemplating economic pressure is that it would be all but impossible to reassemble the international coalition that imposed draconian sanctions on Iran’s oil and banking industries — and drew Iran into negotiations that resulted in the agreement limiting its nuclear program."

NYT yesterday.

A6EchoEchoUniform
2nd Feb 2017, 03:00
And what will happen if Iran get renewed sanctions and decide to deny western airlines access to its airspace?

Many are already flying around Iran anyhow.

pilotguy1222
2nd Feb 2017, 21:07
Except that's not really true:

I read him only mentioning the "list", which makes his post 100% accurate.