PDA

View Full Version : Hawker 800xp

ohitsro
26th Jan 2017, 17:28
Hello All,

I'd like to hear from some of the guys who've flown the Hawker 800xp and who've worked in corporate aviation, What was your experience from the jet and the environment in general?

This will be my first gig on a jet, coming from piston instruction. Can anyone give me some tips for a type rating and maybe the aircraft itself? :) And for other guys in the industry, what was your first corporate experience like? :D

Thank you in advance!

ro

Hawker 800
27th Jan 2017, 06:54
It's a lovely aircraft. Built tough, designed well.

I've taken on a few ex flight instructors. They have made the best F/O's, I dont see why you should be any different.

You will have to get used to the luggage constraints, there's not a whole lot of room for it, but you do get used to it. Don't go buying hard shell cases!

Where are you being rated at? I have heard that some African operators type on the aircraft. If so bad luck. Getting typed in the sim is much better for learning, and will make a better pilot.

If you are going to a reputable training provider such as CAE or FSI, they will feed you everything you need to know. If it's someone else, then again, good luck. A first jet may sound daunting, but it's not like the Hawker is a rocket ship or anything. It still fly's like a big Baron. If it is a PL21 variant, then the avionics will be your biggest hurdle. I'd guess it is your first FMS aircraft too. Dont panic, it'll all come together on a proper type rating course.

Flying corporate or mix corporate/BizCharter (which I do) is both challenging and rewarding. You get good clients and bad ones, but as long as they pay... Having a polished appearance is important, you and the aircraft.

Look on smartcockpit.com, you may find an FSI manual there.

Amadis of Gaul
27th Jan 2017, 19:29
I still call it DH125.

ohitsro
31st Jan 2017, 17:45
It's a lovely aircraft. Built tough, designed well.

I've taken on a few ex flight instructors. They have made the best F/O's, I dont see why you should be any different.

You will have to get used to the luggage constraints, there's not a whole lot of room for it, but you do get used to it. Don't go buying hard shell cases!

Where are you being rated at? I have heard that some African operators type on the aircraft. If so bad luck. Getting typed in the sim is much better for learning, and will make a better pilot.

If you are going to a reputable training provider such as CAE or FSI, they will feed you everything you need to know. If it's someone else, then again, good luck. A first jet may sound daunting, but it's not like the Hawker is a rocket ship or anything. It still fly's like a big Baron. If it is a PL21 variant, then the avionics will be your biggest hurdle. I'd guess it is your first FMS aircraft too. Dont panic, it'll all come together on a proper type rating course.

Flying corporate or mix corporate/BizCharter (which I do) is both challenging and rewarding. You get good clients and bad ones, but as long as they pay... Having a polished appearance is important, you and the aircraft.

Look on smartcockpit.com, you may find an FSI manual there.

Thank you so much for the advice Hawker. I have heard the rating will be done in UK or USA but I don't have much on paper yet. African operator so hopefully wont be rated on line like you say.

Thanks again!

Sir Niall Dementia
1st Feb 2017, 08:13
I loved it. My favourite corporate jet. Looked right, felt great and flew as well as it looked. I've still got all my training stuff (mostly scanned manuals. If I can help let me know.

SND

Kelly Hopper
1st Feb 2017, 15:21
Thousands of hours on Hawkers of all variants over the years. Brilliant aircraft but baggage is a nightmare! You will not fly a nicer airframe.

McDoo
2nd Feb 2017, 07:52
If you get the choice, I would recommend FSI UK. One of the ground instructors is a South African who spent many years as HBC field rep all over Africa. He is truly the fount of all Hawker knowledge and a thouroughly nice guy to boot.

As others have said already, a truly great aircraft, enjoy!

redsnail
2nd Feb 2017, 20:39
I second FSI Farnborough and Marc du Plessis the ground instructor. The flight sim instructors are very knowledgable too.
I've just stepped out of the Collins Proline Hawker 800XPC. Great first jet, easy to handle, no real vices. Very flexible machine but I hope you're good at Tetris. And don't forget to remove the bung before pulling the lav servicing handle. :D

Garema
26th Apr 2021, 10:37
I loved it. My favourite corporate jet. Looked right, felt great and flew as well as it looked. I've still got all my training stuff (mostly scanned manuals. If I can help let me know.

SND
Hi, should be doing for my type soon. Do you mind sharing your training materials with me? Thanks

Miles Magister
26th Apr 2021, 12:32
Thousands of hours on Hawkers of all variants over the years. Brilliant aircraft but baggage is a nightmare!
Kelly
All variants? Did you ever fly the Hawker 801? There is plenty of baggage space on that aircraft, you can even open the external baggage doors in flight

Kelly Hopper
26th Apr 2021, 18:47
I'm old and decrepid but really??? 801? Speaking of old and decrepid here is one in my logbook!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x684/4a8a882b_82f7_47e4_9e7a_950626a1c8e5_1_105_c_aef43118b064529 5f221c57fe3e8fd75210f47a1.jpeg

alphayankee12
20th Feb 2023, 19:32
Hello I am currently training to become a pilot on the Hawker 900xp and I was wondering where could I get my hand on the Proline 21 operator’s guide for the Raytheon Hawker 800xp.
Thank you for your help.
here's my email if any one has that :
[email protected]

Tony Mabelis
22nd Feb 2023, 13:13
You WILL grow to love TKS anti iceing system, sadly as an engineer I never did!

First used in 1937 and now well past its best before date.