PDA

View Full Version : Compensation as inbound plane couldnt land due to fog

sp3ctre
26th Jan 2017, 15:01
Bit of a complicated one, but I wanted to ask opinions on this situation.

I was supposed to be on a 7pm flight from Southampton to Leeds. The inbound plane from Leeds to Southampton (which we would go out on) didn't land due to fog, ans was diverted to Bristol, at which point our flight was cancelled.

Meanwhile all flights were taking off in the fog without issue.

My question is, the previous flight was the one affected by fog, our flight was affected by the plane not being there.

I found a precedent online where someone argued this in court and won, as the weather must affect the flight in question, not a previous one.

Flight Delayed Due To Bad Weather - Can I Claim? (http://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-compensation-bad-weather)

We ended up getting put in a taxi for 5 hours back to Leeds, and getting home at 2:30am... long night!

Anyway, like I said, just wondered if anyone had seen anything similar.

Cheers,

Hotel Tango
26th Jan 2017, 15:08
A good lawyer, if you can afford one, may be able to succeed on some technicality. Personally, I would recognise that situation as not being the airline's fault and would never consider making a claim in these circustances.

PDR1
26th Jan 2017, 15:15
We ended up getting put in a taxi for 5 hours back to Leeds, and getting home at 2:30am

Were there no trains running? WOuld probably have been a couple of hours quicker and perhaps slightly more comfortable (if you were lucky).

sp3ctre
26th Jan 2017, 15:18
We just did what the airline told us to at the time

Johnny F@rt Pants
26th Jan 2017, 15:39
They spent your compo providing you with a taxi. I think that you probably could claim, but I don't think you should, your airline did whatever necessary at significant expense to get you to where you wanted to go. If they hadn't done that I would say claim, but given the service they provided I really don't think it's appropriate.

HeartyMeatballs
26th Jan 2017, 18:43
All flights would likely have been taking off. Getting out is rarely the problem. Getting in is the tricky part.

crewmeal
28th Jan 2017, 07:19
Here we go again. "Where there's blame there's a claim" culture raises its ugly head again. Why not be thankful that pilots take you from A to B safely. If an airport is below limits then it's obvious they will divert for safety reasons. Fog is an act of God and therefore will not pay out. The airline will endeavor to get you on the next available flight and probably give you vouchers for food or where necessary hotac and apologies for the inconvenience.

davidjpowell
28th Jan 2017, 12:07
I don't think fog is an act of god, merely a natural weather phenomenon.

It does seem natural that if airplanes can't land, an airline is quickly going to run out of outbound craft. To me it's not the fault of the airline, and at least they got the OP home.