PDA

View Full Version : Airlines say "nuts" to allergy sufferers

mickjoebill
26th Jan 2017, 14:02
Airlines leave it to pilots to take the flack, when severe allergy sufferers are deemed a risk.
Why can't there be a policy on the matter?
Airlines allow morbidly obese and folk with other medical conditions onboard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/well/family/travelers-with-nut-allergies-clash-with-airlines.html

Hotel Tango
26th Jan 2017, 14:42
Interesting. On my last DELTA flight from AMS to SEA a couple of months ago there was a cabin PA announcement prior to departure that in view of a passenger's severe nut allergy, no nuts would be served on the flight at all. Fair enough I thought.

davidjpowell
27th Jan 2017, 17:37
Same thing on our Thomson Flight. Cabin announcement asking people not to eat nuts, and telling us that nuts would not be served/sold.

peanuts
28th Jan 2017, 10:40
If you have a nut allergy, don't eat nuts - or am I oversimplifying?

ExXB
28th Jan 2017, 10:49
I think that is one airline, not 'airlines'. Book away if you have an issue.

Standards used to be set by IATA for this type of thing. No longer, as it is contrary to competiton law.

Hotel Tango
28th Jan 2017, 11:51

Very much so. All depends on the severity of the allergy. When you have a plane load of people eating peanuts there could be the possibility of cross contamination by means of the cabin crew or passengers in close proximity. Hence if it is a serious allergy, best to play safe.

davidjpowell
28th Jan 2017, 12:11
Nuts seem to invoke severe reactions in some people, both medical and opinion. If someone just comes out with a rash if they eat them the fuss seem's a bit much - but others can have a far more severe reaction, and taking measures is called for...

I say this after Nutgate last year. A row between PTA mothers as to whether Peanut flavoured Cornetto's could be sold at a school event, as one boy had a nut allergy of the minor kind..

Planemike
28th Jan 2017, 14:03

Not at all, just requires the application of common sense and some caution. Seems much of the human race is now deemed incapable of using these two commodities

HeartyMeatballs
28th Jan 2017, 14:43
I sympathise with those who genuinely have a severe nut allergy which can be triggered by airborne particulates.

It is much more common now. Barely a week goes by now without at least one flight being nut free.

I side with the airlines. Most make it clear that they cannot guarantee a nut free environment. Airlines can ask people to stop eating nuts but what about the previous 600 people who had been on that aircraft and now on sector 4 who can say there are no traces of nuts in the furnishings? What about the 200 passengers who purchased nut products on the aircraft? Who can guarantee that the guy next to you didn't just devour a large bag of peanut M&Ms just prior to boarding. What of those who don't speak the language in which the 'no peanuts' PA was made? If the risk is so severe, then you shouldn't be travelling.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. But if it's so bad, wear a surgical mask and gloves. I see plenty of people these days doing that. It just another example of the majority having to change their way to accommodate the tiny minority. An 'allergy' is almos a badge of honour it would seem to generation snowflake. I can see airlines removing and banning all nut products as a result of today's litigious society.

PAXboy
28th Jan 2017, 22:11
I have a friend so sensitive to sesame seeds that a single one out of place (in her food) causes illness. Two or three seeds and she has anaphylaxis. No one wants that in their cabin.

HeartyMeatballs
29th Jan 2017, 05:38
Nobody can guarantee it won't happen. Airlines can't provide an allergen free cabin. In all my years of flying I've not seen ONE person come on with an allergy wearing a surgical mask. If a tiny airborne partical can cause harm then why do we never see them wearing masks?

crewmeal
29th Jan 2017, 06:02
I suppose the mere smell of nuts wafting around the cabin may well cause problems to those affected. Shame really as I always enjoyed the cashews in First.

HeartyMeatballs
29th Jan 2017, 07:16
How did we manage back in the olden days when peanuts were served to everyone, particularly on US airlines. I don't recall any issues back then.

Hotel Tango
29th Jan 2017, 13:08
Many of today's allergies are a lot more severe than in the past. Allergies have evolved over time whilst in the same period resistance has weakened.

Chesty Morgan
29th Jan 2017, 18:13
Well nuts to you if I happen to take peanut butter sarnies to work for my lunch.

PAXboy
29th Jan 2017, 19:55
But if you are having lunch on the ground, any illness will be easier to deal with and the work colleague would know to avoid you!

Chesty Morgan
30th Jan 2017, 00:28
Work colleague?! Lunch on the ground?!

Wrong end of the stick...

darkroomsource
30th Jan 2017, 07:16
I wonder if there's a link between law suits and people having told the airline in advance that they have an allergy... (I'm cynical) ... so the airline(s) have decided to remove anyone who gives the airline a "warning".

Tech Guy
30th Jan 2017, 11:46
Maybe the nut sufferers could "upgrade" to a single seat, hermetically sealed "cabinette".
They could convert one of the lavvies. :)

cee cee
30th Jan 2017, 13:11
This might explain why Scoot was more inquisitive about my son's allergy recently. In the past, when I informed the FA about the epi-pen I am carrying (I seem to recall that it is required under the terms and conditions), the matter has ended there every time. This year, on two trips, the FA came back with a senior FA to quiz me about the allergy.
In my specific case, there is no threat to life as my son has not ever had an anaphylactic reaction even if he were to consume the items. The epi-pen was prescribed merely as a precautionary measure. If we could be removed from the plane because of this, perhaps I should reconsider informing the FAs in future.

Also, to crewmeal, The Peanut Institute - Allergy (http://www.peanut-institute.org/eating-well/allergy/) says
Smelling the aroma of peanuts is not the same as inhaling peanut particles that could potentially contain the allergenic protein. The aroma of peanuts comes from different compounds that cannot cause an allergic reaction.

In one controlled study that looked at this, 30 children with significant peanut allergy were exposed to peanut butter, which was either pressed on the skin for one minute, or the aroma was inhaled. Reddening or flaring of the skin occurred in about one third of the children, but none of the children in the study experienced a reaction either in their lungs or throughout their bodies!
So you can still enjoy the smell of cashews. And perhaps that is why HM, we do not see them wearing masks. Unless you are crushing nuts or opening a packet of crushed nuts, I doubt there is enough airborne particles to trigger any but the most severely sensitive person (but I am not a doctor, do not take medical advice from random strangers on the internet).

esa-aardvark
31st Jan 2017, 06:29
Having had this, I have deep sympathy for those affected.
When it happened to me, I recovered to hear a nurse repeating
my blood pressure, 10,20, 30, 40.....
A few seconds(minutes ?) before I had been chatting to her.
Lots of nasty side effects. I was lucky I was in hospital with
plumbed in monitoring. Surgeon looked extremely ill when I saw him. Funny enough I am not allergic to any
nut, but am to many other things (I know now).

Ammiexx
2nd Feb 2017, 22:06
I suffer from a severe nut allergy and it's ridiculous that people are saying stuff like wear a mask or don't fly! How about don't serve nuts or allow them on board an aircraft full stop, because unlike me it won't kill people if they can't eat nuts for a few hours!

Chesty Morgan
3rd Feb 2017, 10:35
It might do if I can't eat my peanut butter sandwich and collapse from malnutrition.

Hotel Tango
3rd Feb 2017, 10:55
Chesty Morgan, I think your brain has turned into peanut butter!

HeartyMeatballs
3rd Feb 2017, 11:03
Ammiexx: I sympathise. But on short haul your aircraft could be on its 8th flight of the day. The aircraft is not vacuumed between. Nuts could be in the carpet, seat pockets and fabric.

For example, the flight before you could have had someone chomping on nuts at your seat. They could have called and be trampled into the floor. Your bag is now contaminated. You reach for your bag in flight and get contaminated.

Your phone falls down the back of the seat. There's all sort collecting here, including crumbs, nuts and money. You reach for your now comtaminated phone.

It's easy to get contamianted. If it really was life or death then a simple surgical mask surely isn't too extreme.

I sympathise but I think people should be allowed to take onboard what they want. Fair enough if a sufferer has been identified don't allow them to be consumed but where does it end? There are so many allergies and 'trends' people follow. Before long we won't be allowed anything onboard.

Airlines should never be made to guarantee an allergen free environment. It's not practical.

DaveReidUK
3rd Feb 2017, 11:12

Maybe he works for the kind of airline where the occasional passenger death from Anaphylaxis is just par for the course. :O

Chesty Morgan
3rd Feb 2017, 11:48
My point is that, whilst nut allergy can be serious, I think that the general health of the flight crew trumps it.

I can't exactly organise a medical diversion due to anaphylaxis if I haven't eaten all day. Or perhaps I might pass out because of low blood sugar on short final.

Is that safer than one person dictating what I, as the captain, eat?

Hotel Tango
3rd Feb 2017, 11:54
HeartyMeatballs, you are right of course. However, one shouldn't make light of the situation as some have here. Both my son and grandson suffer from peanut allergies. I know at first hand how so very careful we and they have to be. My son has twice been caught out. Once on a flight (hidden ingredient) and more recently in China when a frying pan used for frying eggs still had peanut oil residue from previous use! Although consumption can potentially kill them, their allergy is not severe enough that they can't be close to peanuts. I do however sympathise with those who are not so lucky.

Hotel Tango
3rd Feb 2017, 11:59
The answer to aviation safety: peanut butter sandwiches. :E

So, as I understand then Chesty Morgan, it's peanut butter sarnies or nothing for you? I'm pretty sure that something else could be found to feed poor old you with! :rolleyes:

Chesty Morgan
3rd Feb 2017, 12:05
I'm sure you're aware of the extensive list of foods which may contain nuts?

Are you saying I can't take any of that to work? Ever.

HeartyMeatballs
3rd Feb 2017, 12:27
I'm not making light of the situation. Not at all. I'm merely pointing out inconsistencies in people's approach to their allergy. I also seek to educate those so that they're aware that a nut free aircraft is not possible.

What if someone doesn't speak the language of the crew? If they miss the PA and crack open the tub of Planters then it could be very dangerous.

Yet I've never seen a medical mask or gloves worn by a westerner onboard.

I do not support banning certain foods from aircraft as a whole. The gluten free zealots will be wanting all gluten items banned knowing how militant they can be.

Hotel Tango
3rd Feb 2017, 13:49
Are you saying I can't take any of that to work? Ever.

Not at all! What I'm saying is that if, as on my last oceanic Delta flight, the airline wants to take precautions and try (emphasis on "try") and make the flight as nut free as possible because of a highly allergic passenger, then I don't expect you as Captain to throw your toys out of your pram. Instead, throw away your peanut sarnies and lift something off the trolley. It's not that hard is it? Certainly doesn't need your, frankly, rather questionable attitude regarding the issue. As I have said before, the majority of sufferers don't have a problem being in proximity of peanuts, they just can't eat them. When, however, one of the relatively small minority who is highly contagious is on board, I applaud an airline who will do their utmost to accommodate them. Yes, I agree with HeartyMeatballs that there's no 100% guarantee but at least an effort is being made.

Chesty Morgan
3rd Feb 2017, 14:20
Ah so you expect me to a) waste good food and b) spend more of my money. I can't just lift something from the trolley, that's illegal.

Again, I'm sure you are aware of the extensive list of foods which may contain nuts.

Hotel Tango
3rd Feb 2017, 17:49
Chesty Morgan, you are making a complete twit of yourself. Give it up!

Chesty Morgan
3rd Feb 2017, 18:39
Give up what?

You either expect me to throw away my food and steal some more or you don't. Which is it?

ExXB
4th Feb 2017, 05:29
Didn't Easyjet fire two cabin crew for pinching food? One of which had an allergy and the other senior one gave her something from on board supplies.

I suppose AA has decided that it is no longer in their interests to provide nut-free enviornments. As long as they are not the only one people will be able to book away if their particular circumstances warrent. But if the industry moves in lockstep then expect regulation.

Hotel Tango
4th Feb 2017, 09:08
Chesty Morgan (and ExXB). I was NOT implying stealing. It was, on reflection, the wrong choice of word because I forgot that some cheapskate airlines (which I never fly on) don't even provide snacks for their crews. In that case, purchase an alternative meal. It's not as if you would have to be doing it every flight for goodness sake. You are so intent on proving the world revolves around you Chesty Morgan that you have totally ignored anything else said about the subject matter. Your attitude still disgusts me!