PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Handling at Stansted

cargosales
8th Jul 2002, 09:25
Can anyone throw any light on delays at Stansted? On Saturday 6th it took over an hour and a half for the bags to come through (Ryanair from Pisa). The week before it took over an hour (Go from Milan). Both use Groundstar for their handling. Were these 'one-offs' or is there a problem with Groundstar? Thanks for any info

Little Chief
8th Jul 2002, 10:55
I'm curious about this too. Stansted always used to be first class when it came to getting luggage off the plane, one of the reasons I always recommended it. But, having flown ryanair this weekend, and also meeting friends from a different flight later on the same day (also ryanair), the time delay on getting luggage of the plane into baggage reclaim has definitely got much worse! Over an hour in both cases (and one of the flights was only domestic).

And a more general complaint about luggage, not specifically at Ryanair or Stansted. There seems to be a real issue with security between the time your bag leaves for the hold and you get it back (or some of it, at the other end). On two occasions, one myself, and the other for friends travelling with me, items of property have gone missing out of luggage (sunglasses, mobile phones, etc). I certainly have learnt not to leaving valuables that are easily accessible in hold luggage, but are the airlines doing anything to stamp this out?

Are things like this the hidden costs of the no-frills airlines?

cargosales
8th Jul 2002, 13:16
Little Chief,

Like you, I've always been happy with STN - quick and easy, nice building, car parks close to terminal etc etc

Update

Should have known better than to try and get an answer from Ryanair - tried numerous times before posting the question. But I have just spoken to Go. WOW - an honest customer service person!!!

The problem is indeed the handling agent, Groundstar. Go moved to them a while ago and things were ok. A few months ago Ryanair also moved over to Groundstar and since then things have gone to ratsh*t for Go, Ryanair and other airlines handled by this outfit. Basically Groundstar just haven't got enough staff for all of the airlines they 'look after' :mad:

They are advertising locally for more staff but expect the same problems / delays for at least the next few weeks. Or just use a different airport if you can!

(Thinks - what happened to the Servisair staff who used to move the Ryanair baggage?)

El Mirador
8th Jul 2002, 16:37
The same thing happened about a month ago, Ryanair flight from Newquay. We were picking up some friends and the baggage took over one hour to come through. We had seen the plane land and taxi in and no baggage handlers were evident for a very long time. Disappointing as Ryanair and Stansted usually very good. So not a one-off unfortunately!:eek:

Avman
8th Jul 2002, 19:02
I would strongly recommend never ever to pack valuables such as radios, mobiles, expensive sunglasses, etc., etc., in your checked baggage; in particular when using major airports - or when your bags are going to be in transit for several hours at a major airport. Thiefrow and JFK are two of the worst I know, but of course there are many more.

As for expeditious baggage retrieval, an airport which consistenly gets my bag to the carousel before me is - quite surprisingly - Brussels !

PilotsPal
10th Jul 2002, 07:59
I collected EGPFlyer from STN the night before the Gatbash and we had the same performance. In his case, I think it took around 90 minutes for his bag to come through (flight landed around 2130 on a Friday evening and of course the place was heaving around that time). I imagine revenues from parking fees in the short stay car park have increased substantially as a result.

Little Chief
11th Jul 2002, 08:01
Curiously enough, both when I arrived myself on one flight, and later when I picked up friends, passengers were left sitting on the plane for substantially longer than normal (it seemed like about 20mins) after it parked . No explanation was given.

Not knowing the details, I am curious if the same company deals with disembarking passengers as with luggage and if there is a lack of staff here too. And have others experienced the same?

My more synical side might wonder if this be a ploy to make the wait in the baggage claim area seem shorter!

DistantRumble
14th Jul 2002, 14:02
Heathrow used to be famous for baggage theft.
have they cracked down on this ?

El Mirador
14th Jul 2002, 18:20
No reckon Heathrow are as bad as ever!!!!!! Last year (prior Sep 11th), flying back from Helsinki, We had a Leatherman knife that had been properly secured and individually packaged and carried in the hold of the aircraft. On landing we watched the baggage handlers unloading from the aircraft and saw the said knife placed on the baggage train. At baggage claim said knife had disappeared. So between unloading and the carousel it had gone 'walkies'. The airport police and airline were informed. All they had to do was check the baggage handlers or tunnel but refused to do so. Needless to say we were treated appallingly by the 'customer relations bod'. The knife never materialized. We were told that if a 'hot spot' of thefts developed in this particular area, only then would they investigate! Not that brilliant or cooperative!!!!!!:mad: