PDA

View Full Version : Beating the MPL system

LOL123
23rd Jan 2017, 08:12
Hello,

I've been offered a place on a MPL course at a certain airline which I'm very happy about, but there is a catch.

The airline won't let me upgrade my licence to an ATPL even after accumulating 1500hrs. The deal is that they'll do this upon successful completion of a command course. Currently time to command is running at 10 years+ at this outfit.

I just don't feel comfortable about being restricted to flying with this one airline for more than a decade.

So my question is, will it possible to

1) Sneakily get a foreign CPL before the MPL course starts. I already have 260hrs (and they aren't explicitly prohibiting doing this). Then once online, log hours on the basis of this CPL. Upon reaching 1500hrs, upgrade it to ATPL and apply to another airline as required.

or

2) Log some hours on the basis of the MPL. Then pay for a CPL out of my own pocket a few years down the line. Can we actually count MPL hrs towards total experience after obtaining a CPL though?

Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pakythepilot
23rd Jan 2017, 15:06
The best way to solve your issue is to directly contact your local CAA and ask for any info you need. From my personal and humble point of view I don't think any airline can't stop you to upgrade to a full ATPL once you've reached the minimum requirements to do so. It's EASA the one who rules out what you can do with your licenses not the airline.

Officer Kite
23rd Jan 2017, 16:18
What CAA are we dealing with?

You should be able to go yourself and convert your MPL to an ATPL with the UK CAA, the airline can't do anything about it from what I've understood of how the process works. It's a bit like saying the airline won't let you convert your fATPL to an ATPL ... nothing to do with them. Get your proof of 1500 hrs and go convert it.

KayPam
23rd Jan 2017, 17:41
There is just a practical test. It should be usual TR renewal + raw data ILS.

How can one convert an MPL to a CPL without any hour more than those required for the MPL and say, a few hours on the A320 once the MPL was completed ?

RTN11
23rd Jan 2017, 18:02
Any examiner can refuse to conduct a test, and if company policy is not to do the ATPL skills test until after a command check then no company examiner will do a test outside of those circumstances.

Therefore, in order to gain your ATPL through the method you are suggesting, you would have to get a freelance examiner, a second rated pilot and a sim all off your own back, looking at a few thousand £s to put that together.

If you go get your CPL, will you even be able to add your type rating to it, as without it you won't be able to do a multi crew LPC in order to gain your ATPL. Again, this may simply be company policy, their manuals are approved by the authority, and to go freelance to get an ATPL while working for them may be seen as breach of contract.

LOL123
23rd Jan 2017, 19:27
Thank you all for your inputs.

If you go get your CPL, will you even be able to add your type rating to it, as without it you won't be able to do a multi crew LPC in order to gain your ATPL. Again, this may simply be company policy, their manuals are approved by the authority, and to go freelance to get an ATPL while working for them may be seen as breach of contract.

Can you count MPL PIC hrs towards issuance of a foreign ATPL? Looks like in FAA land, they let you take an ATP checkride on a standard MEP like Seneca.

So what about this?

Say you have an EASA MPL with a 737 TR+1500hrs. You quit the job, go to the States. Obtain FAA ATP with the hours accumulated with an EASA MPL. Then you will be able to apply to companies in the Middle East for instance as a Boeing type rated, because you have the FAA ATP with EASA MPL 737TR.

Or is it not possible because MPL PIC hours don't actually count towards issuance of a foreign ATPL?

This is getting confusing, but I'd appreciate any insight.

rudestuff
24th Jan 2017, 08:02
You're starting an MPL course with 260 hours?!

EcamSurprise
24th Jan 2017, 12:51
You are not restricted to just one airline with an MPL.

You can move to any other airline with MPL written into their OMs and this has happened with some MPL colleagues of mine.

But, as someone said above, to get your ATPL you would need an examiner, sim and typed buddy to get the skills test done. It will cost a couple of K but it is do-able and I know of people who did it.

ajd1
25th Jan 2017, 07:07
Less than a Grand in the UK with the right people.