PDA

View Full Version : Scams

New PalmTree
16th Jan 2001, 15:15
Has anyone bought the "how to become an airline pilot" manual by a man calling himself Captain J Edwards? it is regularly advertised in the back of pilot magazine. I bought it and it heavily promotes a "racing school" from which "Captain Edwards" claims he derives good tax free income from as a participant (I now believe he may well be the originator of the system or at least he is actually marketing it himself) & sites the racing school as an excellent way to fund pilot training (claims of an almost guaranteed £12,000 pa tax free for 1 to 2 hours of work / week). I subscribed to it (£20 per month) thinking it was a "genuine" recommendation from a "genuinely" helpful, "genuine" airline pilot. Shortly afterwards I received an offer through the post of a manual called "the five secrets" (a-get-rich-quick scheme costing £200)by (guess who) Mr J Edwards now claiming to be an internationally published author (no mention of being an airline captain, must have got his mailing lists confused) I would be pleased to hear from anyone else who has had any dealings with this man or bought any of his manuals, as I now strongly believe that he is not quite what he portrays himself to be (or if you know him to be a genuine airline Captain I would also be interested to know).

WX Man
17th Jan 2001, 16:14
Seems like an effective get rich quick scheme to me. For 'Captain' J Edwards.

Thanks for the warning... for a better guide to becoming a commercial pilot, why not spend £18.95 on Clive Hughes's book?

Island Hopper
17th Jan 2001, 18:25
Yeah, I bought Capt J Edwards' book. He has the most annoying arrogance in his writing but I think the content is good.
As for the racing school, persuasive though he was, I was never tempted. It's gambling. There is no certainty about the income he claims you will make.
Anyone who is making any significant cash from his horse racing idea... please speak up!

Mind you, you've got to give the guy credit - If he is a pilot for a major airline, as he claims, then he's earning enough without us paying him for his book and racing school aswell!

cumulus
5th Jan 2004, 23:45
Evening all.
I would like to revive this thread, with regards to a publication under offer in the flying press, called Zero to first Officer, by a Capt J Edwards. I bought a copy (admittedly), and found it to be rather a lot of pseudo-motivational filler, and very little hard and useful information. The personal log-on to the 02fo "club" website is totally inoperative, and to top it all off, the book concludes with a profoundly dubious get rich quick scheme, curtesy of- Capt J Edwards!
I understand that I could be totally misreading the guy, but does anyone else have any experience of this outfit?

strafer
6th Jan 2004, 01:15
Congratulations! You're now in for a lifetime of junk mail! (Although there are some solutions on the thread I started about this a few months ago).
Here it is...
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95798&highlight=02fo

High Wing Drifter
6th Jan 2004, 06:22
As someone else pointed out a while ago, it is rediculously easy to find out how to log in (without hacking!). Then you can see the true extent of the material in the members loungs (or whatever he calls it).