PDA

View Full Version : HMS Nottingham strikes rocks

ORAC
7th Jul 2002, 22:47
BBC - Sunday, 7 July, 2002, 21:15 GMT 22:15 UK
Battle to save stricken warship

HMS Nottingham was returning from a deployment

The crew of a Royal Navy destroyer battled to save her after she hit rocks off the coast of Australia. HMS Nottingham started taking on water after Sunday's accident, which happened in poor weather.

The 3,500 tonne vessel is now anchored off the rocks while divers wait for first light to examine the hull for damage.

We have no idea how much water is on board or the extent of the damage

Ben Mitchell, Australia Search and Rescue
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said the ship had been made stable, and there were no casualties.

The accident happened two miles east of Lord Howe island - 300 miles north east of Sydney in the Tasman Sea.

The Royal Australian Air Force is preparing to fly out heavy pumping equipment to the vessel from the mainland.

"She has taken on water. There is a fair bit of flooding, we are trying to find out just how much there is," the MoD spokesman said.

The vessel, with 253 crew on board, was on a routine trip from Cairns, in Queensland, north-east Australia, to Wellington, in New Zealand.

Commander David Heley, from the MoD, said the "substantial collision" happened shortly after a minor medical transfer to Lord Howe Island and the ship immediately dropped anchor.

However, he said it was "fruitless" to speculate on the causes until a Royal Navy inquiry had been completed.

The officer said Nottingham's commanding officer Richard Farrington had been in charge of the ship for 18 months to two years and would be in "good hands".

"He's a cool, phlegmatic individual. Obviously, this will be a major challenge but I have every reason to suspect he'll handle this incident with great professionalism."

Ben Mitchell, of Australia Search and Rescue, said the situation was a lot better than first feared when it was reported at 2120 local time.

"At that stage the situation was extremely serious and there were concerns the ship may sink," he said.

"Some consideration was given to beaching the vessel to prevent it sinking. The ship had been holed but the crew managed to stem the inflow of water and they got the situation under control.

"We have no idea how much water is on board or the extent of the damage and have no other details about why it happened or how."

Mr Mitchell said the incident had generated a lot of interest.

"We've had a lot of calls about this - it's not every day that a Royal Navy ship runs aground."

Lord Howe island is a sliver of land just one kilometre wide and 14 km long, surrounded by coral reef.

------------------------------

CNN:

UK warship hits rock off Sydney
July 7, 2002 Posted: 11:14 AM EDT (1514 GMT)

HMS Nottingham

SYDNEY, Australia -- A British warship is being assessed for damage after hitting a rock off the coast of Australia.

The Ministry of Defence, in London, said the Royal Navy Type 42 destroyer HMS Nottingham struck the rock near Lord Howe Island, 200 miles north east of Sydney, on Sunday.

It is thought that the 3,500 tonne vessel -- which is now off the rocks -- was holed in the collision.

It is not immediately clear how extensively she had been damaged.

"She is now considered to be stable and they are assessing the level of damage," a MoD spokesman told the UK Press Association.

There were no reports of any casualties among the 253 crew.

David Gray of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said that the ship was taking on water and had requested heavy pumping gear to be flown out.

Royal Navy divers were also being sent to the scene so that they could assess the scale of the damage below the waterline.

"We were advised by the harbourmaster at Lord Howe Island that HMS Nottingham had hit rocks, was taking water and was having steerage problems," Gray told Sky News.

"There was an urgent request for heavy duty pumping equipment. At the moment the Royal Australian Air Force are loading pumps and will be flying out to Lord Howe Island in the next three or four hours.

"It was rather a panic situation when the broadcast first came out because they weren't too sure how much water they were taking but they have moved to a position now and anchored just off the aerodrome on the island."

A spokesman for the Sydney Harbour Control told CNN that a message had been received from HMS Nottingham that "the situation on board is stable."

The ship is now anchored off Middle Beach on Lord Howe Island.

The 22-year-old vessel had been returning from a deployment in the Far East and Australasia when the accident happened.

She underwent a major refit in November 2000 and last year was deployed to the Middle East.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/07/07/warship/story.nottingham.ap.jpg

WE Branch Fanatic
7th Jul 2002, 23:00
From what I've heard on TV, the situation has been brought under control. Well done to the girls (and girls) - this really does prove that "The team works".

The Royal Navy has always been very good at damage control. Look at the Falklands - if our ships had been unable to fight the action damage they suffered we would have lost more ships and quite possibly lost. And in the twenty years since then - just think of all the mishaps that HM Ships have suffered. Fires, floods, collisions, hitting rocks, aircraft mishaps......

I have always thought that one of the most important parts of training in the Royal Navy is damage control aka NBCD.

teeteringhead
8th Jul 2002, 05:49
And there was me thinking the second "p" in Pprune was:

1. A person who operates the flying controls of an aircraft.

rather than:

2. A person with expert local knowledge, qualified to take charge of a ship entering or leaving harbour.

Poor misguided fool that I am ............:confused:

[both definitions from Concise Oxford Dictionary - 10th Edition]

BlueWolf
8th Jul 2002, 06:03
Light fleet oiler HMNZS Endeavour is due at the scene 0500 Tuesday local time.
Good luck to your boys.

doh-nut boy
8th Jul 2002, 07:06
Wonder whats going on on the railways:D :D :D

Chris Kebab
8th Jul 2002, 07:11
There has also been a car crash on the M6, the Mondeo driver apparently knew someone who was in the TA.

Anyone know of details of any underwater basket weaving courses with slots?

oldpinger
8th Jul 2002, 09:08
For your information Mr T Head et al, there was some footage of the Nottinghams lynx wazzing around on TV tonight, so lay off!!:p Anyway, just because it does't have 6000ft of concrete runway doesn't mean it's nothing to do with military flying!
Wonder who the lucky birdies are...... hope none were on the bridge at the time (Southampton vs oil tanker ring a bell?):D

Scud-U-Like
8th Jul 2002, 10:53
There is already speculation that HMS Nottingham's Capt may be court martialled over this incident, though, at this early stage, this does seem a little presumptuous.

The RN do seem very quick to court-martial their senior officers, whilst the other 2 services appear strenuously to avoid holding their senior officers to account in this way.

Whilst holing one of Her Majesty's ships is indeed a serious matter, I can think of equally serious f*<k-ups by the other 2 services, for which their senior officers wouldn't possibly have to stand trial.

ORAC
8th Jul 2002, 12:47
The captain is always court martialled after an accident as a matter of procedure.

comedyjock
8th Jul 2002, 17:18
Apparently the accident happened while the ship was manoeuvering to launch its helicopter. At leaast that means that the aircrew weren't driving at the time!!!!!

canberra
8th Jul 2002, 17:22
the captain is always court martialled as a matter of procedure! dont know about anyone else but that seems a bit knee jerk to me. i know the navy's disciplinary procedure is totally different to the other two services but that makes my jaw drop, i know the captain is in charge and is ultimately responsible but does a fleet air arm sqn commander get court martialed when one of his aircraft is damaged or crashes?

Harpooner
8th Jul 2002, 19:19
Yes if he is has signed for it!

Ivchenko
8th Jul 2002, 20:09
Not as draconian as it sounds canberra. Commonly accepted that the purpose of the court martial is as much to clear him (if appropriate) as to find guilt. It's been the Navy way for centuries.

PPRuNe Pop
8th Jul 2002, 20:25
Do they still point the sword at him if he is guilty? Very bad practice that in my view. Might as well have up through the chair as he sits down!

doh-nut boy
8th Jul 2002, 20:55
Why did the boat driver park on all those stones surely he would have been better dropping his anchor a bit further away from that island.

Perhaps the Pacific was a little to small for him to manouevre.:D :D :D

Brizzo
8th Jul 2002, 21:16
You may recall the apocryphal story of the RN vessel that entirely bodged its mooring manoeuvres at Pompey under the unblinking gaze of the Admiral. As the vessel drifted helplessly towards the breakwater the skipper said "What should I do?", and Jimmy replied: "I should take a pub Sir".

AllTrimDoubt
8th Jul 2002, 21:44
Please re-acquaint yourself with the full title of this site, and in particular what the first "P" in PPRuNE stands for, before making comments such as those contained in your last post.

If you are neither professional nor qualified then Zip.

WE Branch Fanatic
8th Jul 2002, 22:59
Again, I am not in a position to add much, except to say that this was a very serious incident, and the capability of the company of Nottingham to shore up their ship is a reflection of the quality of the Royal Navy's training.

As for the accident itself, there will be a full inquiry, and possibly courts martial. And yes, when naval officers are found guilty their swords are pointed towards them. As for the Captain, did you see him on TV? No passing the back, no excuses, no blaming subordinates, he took responsibility for what happened. That is the REAL difference between and miltary man and a politician or businessman, that is proper conduct from an Officer.

Lets remember that when you put complex machinery in complex environments accidents will happen.

Jackonicko
9th Jul 2002, 00:56
Anyone see the story about the white lady who had two black babies cos of an IVF cock-up? At least some-one's sperm must have been flying......

Autorev
9th Jul 2002, 01:15
mmmm careful Jacko, or you too will incur Alltrimdoubt's wrath!
He obviously feels that there is no place for humour here....:mad: :mad: :mad:

Alf Aworna
9th Jul 2002, 03:25
Nice one Jacko!! Whilst on the subject of flying sperm you might want to have a look at this link
Happy Seamen (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2067000/2067223.stm)

Personally I dont think the trial went far enough and am persuading the wife to conduct some gargling tests.
;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D ;)

Samuel
9th Jul 2002, 04:43
"Complex machinery in a complex environment"
WEBF

Nottingham is a ship.

It was at sea, its natural environment

It hit a rock first charted in1788, by the Royal Navy. If a ship hits a rock and nearly sinks, then yes, it is serious.

What's complex about that?:confused:

doh-nut boy
9th Jul 2002, 06:08
Alltrimdoubt

I am both a professional and probably considerably more qualified than you, Grubby man! Although been retired a number of years

If you doubt that then perhaps email me and I can forward my contact details so we can dicuss this further. Why not take your tight britches from out of your arse and chill, If injecting a little light hearted humour into the thread is out of order Ill apologise to the Forum.:mad:

You can't go round telling people to zip when you hear something you don't like, I know that because there was a chap called Adolf who had a similar idea in the late thirties and he met a sticky end.

Chris Kebab
9th Jul 2002, 06:56
Altrim

Fall out of bed the wrong side?

You may recall the second P stands for pilot and this is a military AIRCREW forum.

I think D-n b's response as an aviator is both an appropraiate and humourous response to some sailor running his tub aground. Called banter dear boy.

That being said I think the Capt came across as a thoroughly decent honest guy during his interview on ITN, taking the blame squarely on the chin and praising the crew for their reaction to the situation.

AllTrimDoubt
9th Jul 2002, 07:23
Humour is fine and am all for it. Comments about the incident, although tenuously related to military aviation, also fine. The tone of your original post wasn't, given the situation.

Curious as to why you feel the need to indulge in willy-measuring to make your point? If you wish to lay your cards on the table, then do so in public!

Chris K - I think you'll agree there are more and more armchair experts appearing on these threads. Hence my vitriol towards DNB on what at the time was obviously a very sensitive time for all those onboard (AND those families at home who might also peruse PPrune for whatever reason).

Now, if you want to discuss life at sea as a pilot....

Perky Penguin
9th Jul 2002, 08:49
Hasn't the whole court martial system been put on hold pending rulings from Europe - they are unconstitutional etc? I thought that everybody who had been court martialled in the last squillion years was getting a case review?

Mad_Mark
9th Jul 2002, 09:30
WEBF

Again, I am not in a position to add much

Then why do you continue to waffle on? Try getting out down the gym rather than spending all your time in a MILITARY AIRCREW forum, since you do not qualify for either.

Before the rest of you moan, I have no problem with the non-military, non-aircrew types posting here, as much is of great interest, but I am getting really p!$$ed off with WEBF and his continuous 'expertise'! :mad:

MadMark!!! :mad:

Jackonicko
9th Jul 2002, 09:44
I still don't see the Professional Pilots/Military Aircrew relevance of this incident, except perhaps the behaviour of and the likely result to the Captain.

I didn't catch the Captain on the TV, but did hear that the MoD were 'highly dis-chuffed' that he'd gone to/spoken to the press without prior permission, authorisation or guidance. I guess that this is an interesting issue, and possibly of wider interest.

Can anyone confirm that Court Martial of the Captain in these circs is INEVITABLE and procedural?

TL Thou
9th Jul 2002, 10:42
TIMES

As Australian divers examined the hull, damaged below the waterline, Commander Farrington said that it was “the worst feeling in the world” to have his ship involved in such an incident. The grounding occurred shortly after the experienced officer had returned to HMS Nottingham on the ship’s Lynx helicopter.

A Navy spokesman said that Commander Farrington had been on Lord Howe Island to accompany a sick crew member, who had been taken off for medical treatment. The spokesman said that the commander was on board the destroyer “and, therefore, back in charge of the ship” when it ran into the rock, although the officer of the watch on the bridge would have been involved in the manoeuvre that ended in the collision.

“They were looking to manoeuvre the ship to stow the helicopter and you have to take into account the pitch and roll of the ship before you stow the Lynx into the hangar,” a Navy official said.

BlueEagle
9th Jul 2002, 10:57
Perky - I am no legal expert but this thing about Courts Martial, wasn't that more to do with their legality for an offence that was of a criminal nature, possibly in contravention of the civil code?

Courts Martial for loss of ship, damage etc. have gone on for years as a means of bringing everything to the surface, so to speak, that is my understanding, what say those that know?:(

bakseetblatherer
9th Jul 2002, 12:25
Well it seems (since we are now on a nautical theme) that the RN is not only confining itself to hitting rocks that have been on charts for years.
In the news today is a story about a RN frigate (T23 they said but knowing the journo's it could be anything that floats) missed their target (Cape Wrath range?) by 8 miles and a village by only 1!
Well done for the boys in dark blue- and WEBF before you get your knickers in a twist; the damage control by Notties crew may have been great (and I have done the DREW) but they still hit the rock! It is like congratulating yourself for a great parachute roll after an ejection caused by pilot error, sorry Human Factors (Aircrew).;)

doubledolphins
9th Jul 2002, 12:52
Jacko, According to the Telegraph. NOTTINGHAM hit the rock as she was recovering her helo. The Captain was a passenger in the helo. So this is a military aviaton news story, like it or not. Incidentally this is a forum FOR Professional Pilots. If a few of those pilots choose to discuss one of their landing platforms, so be it. I am sure there are several threads about HM's Airfields, would you like to delete them?

Submariners Seldom Cheat and Never Lie!:p

BlueEagle
9th Jul 2002, 13:30
According to the papers here the helicopter had landed back on and been disembarked but now they had to get it back into the hangar and for this the ship had to do some manoeuvring to give them a level deck, wind at the time was said to be 30kts from the West - possibly all just 'paper talk'?

Harpooner
9th Jul 2002, 22:36
IT WAS THE LYNX PILOTS FAULT!

There has been more than one 'deep dive' final landing caused by mother not being handled correctly at the time of aircraft ops, as a result we now have fairly tight rules and regs when putting the old girl back in the hangar and for getting off and on during fly ops.

I believe it is in fact the Lynx driver concerned who is actually responsible for the crunch; by getting back to mother rather than pulling an aircraft sicky and staying ashore for a run in the the pub. No Lynx arrival = no need to turn into wind/swell/granite.

He is newer than myself at this so I shall re-brief him accordingly after his BA sponsored return to Blighty!

doh-nut boy
10th Jul 2002, 06:26
All Trim

Why on earth do you want to measure my willy.

Your'e gonna have to take me out, get to know me, treat me nice etc, before I unleash the mighty mutton musket. Is it common practise for you navy types to display your genitalia when confronted by someone with an argument.

If so can I join because my One eyed warlord is a fine specimin and will win a game of 'Todger Top trumps' every time

AllTrimDoubt
10th Jul 2002, 07:18
Do-NUT

Do you have any connection with aviation or are you just an interested bystander with an aluminium stepladder. Once again..."Professional Pilot..etc" as opposed to "Perverted Plonkah..."

:p

Apulian Waster
10th Jul 2002, 07:42
Couldn't help but mention it let me know what you think?

After the little 'incident' with HMS Nottingham various newspapers (including Telegraph and Times) and television coverage described the rocks 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 miles off the coast of Australia!

If the media doesn't know where the rocks are how the hell are the Navy!?

doh-nut boy
10th Jul 2002, 10:47
All trim

Just for you I willl edit my profile in the morning so you can judge for yourself wether or not I am either Professional or linked to aviation. Will you talk to me if Iam both?

I think I qualify twice though as I am A perverted plonkah aswell but it wasn't me who started harping on about willies I believe that was you. Have a couple of magic pills and try and chill out. Didnt they teach you in training that when someone 'bites' it only encourages them.;)

spongycrabstix
10th Jul 2002, 11:22
Do-nut if you are who I think you are you definatlley qualify as a perverted plonker, although I would hate to put out Alltimdoubts fire by also confirming your status as a chopper driver (which i think you bought.)

Not like you to cause a stir.

Thought you moved to Oz dop me an email.

Hope you die in agony on you next Birthday

AllTrimDoubt
10th Jul 2002, 23:32
As Capt Mainwaring might have said:

"Do be quiet you stupid boy!"

Flatus Veteranus
11th Jul 2002, 17:25
The Times today suggests that Nottingham is a write-off. Just another little experience for the world's Most Experienced Navy!

"Once more onto the beach, dear friends, once more!" :( :(

WE Branch Fanatic
11th Jul 2002, 22:27
In fairness to the crew, only a small number of people are responsible for going aground. The inquiry and courts martial will find out exactly what did happen.

But.....the ENTIRE ship's company were involved in the damge control.

solotk
11th Jul 2002, 23:23
A small number of people.......

Jimlad, I'm sure you'll correct me if i'm wrong here.

I make it, the Officer of the watch, the navigation officer, the members of their division that shared the watch, the lookouts on watch,the Radar watch, the man in charge and the other members of the ships company that shared the responsibility of making sure one of her Majestys ships didn't hit a rock in the middle of nowhere. So, hardly a small number of people. But, a VERY small number of people, will carry the can for this incident.

Ok, I'm going to say it, for the members of the board that can't be arsed, or who are counting to 10, before they type, because they can't trust themselves not to type a long series of expletives.

I do not require, nor do I believe I am learning anything, regarding naval doctrine, policy or operations, from someone who lasted all of 2 weeks in the Navy, and wasn't fit to command an iron to travel in a straight line, never mind a vital component of a Warships' wellbeing. I enjoy this forum, because, even though i am not a professional Military aviator, I learn. I learn things or opinions on doctrine and operations that may at some point, be relevant to something I am trying to teach, or a situation I find myself in

Furthermore, I don't really wish to have my precious bloody bandwidth, clogged up by a self-opinionated "experten" on Naval affairs.

I am also sick and bloody tired, of your attempts to re-ignite the SHAR thread, to be "One of the boys" i guess, but i may be wrong and unfair, for which i apologise in advance. We know whats going on, and for your enlightenment, in your very blinkered view of military affairs, some of us, are looking at this, and wondering what the hell HMG are going to chop next. Today SHAR, tomorrow Warriors, Track miles, the odd battalion here and there, a few less Tornados etc etc.

I think it's painfully obvious to me at least, that you have as much intention of pursuing a career in the Navy, as I have of auditioning for Popstars. I think, you are unfortunately, a really good example of a "WIWI" or "When I Woz In" individual, hence "He smells of *wiwi* " which is what people who have served, call pub hangers on , or reunion bull5hit artists. Or at least, that's what we do in my circle.

Please no-one re-ignite the thread on service slang :( You tend to see wiwi's in the pubs near any forces establishment, the guys who wear flying suits with all the badges at airshows, or CS95 trousers ,Green T-shirts and Pro-Boots at Army displays.

I can see you in years to come, at Naval reunions and functions, boring the tits off young folk, in your Blazer, naval tie and badge telling stirring stories of life on the ocean wave, but just omitting enough detail to keep people guessing. You should ******* well be ashamed of yourself. You came back to this forum, and asked for help. You promptly ignored all the advice and help offered.

You then go on to post that re-entry to the navy appears to be a drama, in spite of announcing, that the navy have told you, to leave it for a bit, then re-apply, which is the standard form. It only becomes a problem, if you were

A. Kicked out, and told never to darken the portals again, which is not what you have said, or
B. Resigned or jacked it in yourself, in which case, any of the services would need a lot of convincing, if you were to re-apply and of course, it would be a drama to re-enter.

I have said as much as I'm going to say.You can rest assured, that i will refrain from ever commenting on one of your posts again.

I fear you have confused enthusiasm with being a pain in the butt, certainly as far as I am concerned, but that is my opinion. Just because you want desperately to show,that you are on the same side, does not mean I have to like you, or think you spout anything but uninformed, immature oxygen thieving.

If anyone above my payscale wishes to kick me to death over what i have written,or defend you and your actions, they are free to do so, it is a public forum, and that is their right.

Tony

HectorusRex
12th Jul 2002, 01:38
Solotk, you seem to have covered WEBF’s better features quite adequately, so how about now enumerating some of his less desirable qualities? :D :D :D

Samuel
12th Jul 2002, 05:09
WOW! That certainly defines a skull shape which come to a point at the top. Terrific word turnover too!

Flatus Veteranus
12th Jul 2002, 17:59
Some contributors seem to have the idea that Courts Martial are the ultimate retribution. For flying offences in the RAF and for nav cocck-ops in the RN, not necessarily so!. The Atcherly twins suffered several such glitches in their careers and still made Air Marshal. There is the (possibly apocryphal) story of the RN Lt Cdr who had been passed over for promotion to Cdr and bounced his frigate off a rock. The Court relieved him of a year's seniority, which put him back in the zone and he got promoted.

Administrative action, which never features in the papers, can be far more lethal to one's career. Legend has it that at Waddo in the 60's a Vulcan flew into a "stuffed cloud". Of course, the whole crew died (RIP). The C-in-C phoned the Staish. The Squadron Commander, who was standing in for him, replied "The Station Commander is on leave, sir".

"What's he doing on leave at a time like this?" spake the CINC.

It soon emerged that the Captain and the nav team were not a "properly constituted crew" according to the current GASOs - essential for low level ops. The Flight Commander (acting boss) who authorised the trip was summoned and presented with an Adverse Report (under the appropriate QR) on which he was required to comment within the hour. He had the balls to say he would take 24 hours to consider his position. Nevertheless he was off the station before the Board even assembled, and his career sank into obscurity.

:(

BEagle
12th Jul 2002, 18:49
Since I know as much about driving boats, grey, pusser's as I do about flower arranging, I shall follow the glorious tradition of certain equally ignorant Knights of the Realm in proclaiming that this accident was totally due to Gross Negligence.............. Must have been, mustn't it - he wasn't a FJ mate.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
13th Jul 2002, 02:18
Quote from unnamed Australian Naval Officer...

"There is only one rock between Lord Howe Island and South America, and these guys hit it"

In the words of Americas most famous parent.. Dohh

AllTrimDoubt
13th Jul 2002, 06:38
QED.

Blacksheep
13th Jul 2002, 12:14
Visited Nottingham while she was in Brunei. Was amazed at how they keep a Lynx up to scratch in a garden shed with bicycles hanging from the ceiling. They keep a fearsome arsenal of SAMs below decks too.

There being a few questions as to this being a suitable subject for PPRuNe, I'd like to point out that the main purpose of this vessel is to shoot down aeroplanes. Flown by professional pilots, presumably the military version. Military aircrew forum, please pay attention - ships like these may be hazardous to your health. ;)

Through difficulties to the cinema

Gash Handlin
13th Jul 2002, 15:24
Solotk/pongoprivatepilot/you in the other place ;)

What you gonna sing for your audition then mate :D

solotk
13th Jul 2002, 17:43
Thought I'd start with.... "If Regt.Sigs.Off. is the only way to a Captaincy, you can shove it"

..followed by a sorrowful rendition of "SDR Blues, what are u gonna take away this time:D "

If WEBF gives it his all, I'll show my arsseto the gate guard at Devonport.

Now there's an incentive

:D

PS, I'm about to get medieval about SDR and the impending stitchup on the other means :mad:

BlueWolf
14th Jul 2002, 01:23
Thought y'all might appreciate this, seeing as how (Howe?) the chopper gets a mention.

N A T I O N A L N E W S S T O R Y
'She should be at the bottom of the sea' - NZ sailor
13 July 2002

A New Zealand navy sailor helping salvage a crippled British warship at Lord Howe Island says the ship was saved only by superb work by its crew.

Chief Petty Officer Dean Hannah, who is a crew member on Anzac frigate HMNZS Te Mana, said the damage to the guided missile destroyer HMS Nottingham, was extensive.

"By rights she should be at the bottom of the sea. Her crew did an amazing job to keep her afloat," he said in an e-mail to his family in Torbay on Auckland's North Shore.

The 3500-tonne frigate hit rocks at Lord Howe Island about 10pm last Sunday and immediately began sinking bow first.

Hundreds of tonnes of water poured in through several holes in the hull and flooded several compartments, including the forward engine room, the Sea Dart missile magazine and several sleeping areas.

Some ratings, who were asleep or resting when the ship hit, fled from their sleeping quarters as the water poured in.

The ship put out a distress call and within hours the Australian air force flew heavy duty pumps to Lord Howe Island to control the flooding.

The New Zealand navy ships Te Mana and the tanker HMNZS Endeavour were also deployed to Lord Howe Island with extra supplies of shoring timber and salvage equipment.

Some of the now-dry forward compartments are criss-crossed with heavy timber beams which hold patches in place on the hull.

Some of the larger holes may not be able to be repaired, even on a temporary basis, until the ship reaches a dry dock.

The Royal Navy said the ship would probably be towed stern first to a port for repairs, possibly Sydney, about 300 nautical miles away.

The Royal Navy is also looking for barges to unload the ship's Sea Dart missiles, some of which have been badly damaged by sea water.

The ship was fully munitioned and hundreds of rounds of 4.5-inch ammunition for the ship's main gun, torpedoes and thousands of rounds of smaller ammunition for the ship's close in defensive guns.

CPO Hannah, said three New Zealand navy teams of 10 sailors were giving some respite to the crew of the badly damaged warship as they worked to restore systems and keep the water at bay.

He said it was "quite disgraceful" for British papers to have called the crew a bunch of incompetents.

"Their damage control and quick response to the massive flooding was superb."

He said the reinforced bow section with all the heavy shoring timber "was like a little wooden village."

"It's an interesting feeling to experience, knowing that the compartment below and the section in front of you are totally open to the sea."

"It's a great feeling to be putting skills I have learnt to work for real and to know that our team has done a good job."

He said Te Mana may escort the crippled ship when it was towed to a port for repairs.

"In a way, after helping them out, I sort of feel we are obliged to do. Someone will have to be there to effect a rescue, if needed."

Salvage experts believe it will be another seven to 10 days before the ship is ready for a five or six day tow to the Australian mainland.

Te Mana had supplied as much electrical equipment as it could spare, CPO Hannah said.

A Royal Navy board of inquiry has convened to investigate the grounding, which is believed to have happened when a relatively junior officer was at the helm as the ship's helicopter landed after taking a sick seaman ashore.

The ship's skipper, Commander Richard Farrington, was on the helicopter and was believed to have been making his way to the bridge when the ship hit the rocks.

The Royal Navy said it was too soon to say if Cdr Farrington or any other officers would be court-martialled.

» Have your say on this article

»PRINTABLE VERSION
»SUBSCRIBE TO FREE HEADLINES

ZK-NSJ
20th Jul 2002, 02:31
HMNZS TE MANA arrived back in auckland on thursday, with the lynx on the helideck, and a small party of crew, any ideas on how shes gonna get home?

BlueEagle
20th Jul 2002, 03:36
Could it be their salvage pay-off?:)

Just kidding.

TL Thou
20th Jul 2002, 08:33
"The ships LYNX helicopter will be flown to the New Zealand frigate TE MANA close by and,once back in New Zealand, be collected by a heavy lift aircraft for the long return flight to the UK."

Those guys are getting some good business out of MoD!!

Dunhovrin
20th Jul 2002, 10:47

1. Those of you who are unaquainted with civvie strasse (but may wish to be someday) may be interested to know that there is no distinction between Teeteringhead's two definitions of pilot when it comes to jury service (and thus avoiding it).

2. Like most others I am full of admiration for the straight forward answers from the skipper. And he didn't adopt the MOD pose of arms folded over chest in auto-gabble.

3. Finally, as a professional pilot I have a worthy and much-respected opinion on everything, therefore any topic is fair game on this site...

That is all - carry on.

AllTrimDoubt
20th Jul 2002, 16:47
Top marks to the Old Man for his forthright and honest approach. A few spin merchants could do worse than to take some leadership cues from him. Good luck to him and his Ship's Company in what lies ahead!