PDA

View Full Version : Funding / Loans / Money

AlfieAllen
16th Jan 2017, 15:27
Hello, I am about to start my ATPL training at Oxford Aviation Academy. I am looking to get a loan to help me out with the course fees. This is a modular course that I am about to start. I have tried BBVA and they don't offer loans to modular students, I have also looked at ATPL finance who have just recently stopped offering this loan also.

If anyone has any helpful info or advice then please leave it below, I'm very appreciative of any help :)

Thanks in advance

felixflyer
17th Jan 2017, 10:16
If you are about to start then surely the funds are in place are they not?

Especially as you are going down one of the most expensive modular routes.

AlfieAllen
17th Jan 2017, 18:50
I'd like it to be oxford because it's local to myself, and the standards they have and relationships with airlines are good so there is a higher possibility of a job at the end and quality training. Thats not to say that others are of a lower standard. Oxford is the only school i've looked at. Like I said, regardless to the school the funding is still an issue.

felixflyer
18th Jan 2017, 08:14
Sorry, by the sound of your first post I thought you were booked on and about to start a course.

There are other schools up there and if money is an issue I would be looking elsewhere to be honest. I have nothing bad to say about Oxford but don't believe the marketing hype. Go visit some other schools. Airways Aviation is at Oxford too I believe and they are having an open day this Saturday which would be worth going along to.

skyblue12
18th Jan 2017, 09:59
Most banks offer reasonably sized unsecured loans, APR around 3.5% and amounts up to £25,000 which can be completed online and in your account the next day.

That's what I'll be using to find the remainder of my MPL course costs.

AlfieAllen
18th Jan 2017, 15:31
Cheers skyblue12, The ATPL ground exams arent the issue, they only cost about £5,000 which isnt the issue. The problem is the hour building and training done out in the states. Its about £46,000 which i need to fund somehow

AlfieAllen
20th Jan 2017, 12:56
Thanks for the advice. Without sounding rude though its not actually answering my question. I need some funding suggestions not to be talked out of going to the training school ive selected. Yeah, I know that there are others out there but this is the one that I have my eyes set on and I am trying to find a way to make it happen. As I said I already have my PPL which has made the fees significantly cheaper already.

vikdream
21st Jan 2017, 11:05
So you don't have the money to become a pilot (not your fault, I didn't either) and you are expecting people to tell you how to fund it. And when they do, you don't like the answers.

There is no magic in here. You don't have the money, you save up or borrow it. Go to your bank and ask them.

You probably won't like their answer either I am afraid.

rudestuff
21st Jan 2017, 11:45
Alfie, I went modular, and would always recommend that path to everyone - because to go integrated (to me) means that you want a job first, and to be a pilot second. So well done. Having said that, the only advantage of Integrated is the higher chance of getting straight into a jet job. The advantage of modular is that it's a lot cheaper - so why throw away that advantage by going to an expensive modular school? You've already said they send you to the states for hour building, so you can't argue that it's close to home. You could get on a plane to Florida and have all your hour building done in a couple of 2 week package holidays. 2x £500 and about £7000 for 100 hours.. (maybe a couple of grand extra if you play it smart and get your FAA IR as well).
Then all you need to do is come back and do a CPL ~ £6000, multi ~£3000 and an CBIR ~ £7000. All the flying for £25k

hobbit1983
21st Jan 2017, 15:58
You're in the same boat as a lot of potential pilots. There is no magic answer (unless you have rich relatives who can afford to loan you the cash).

I'd love to be corrected; but I don't think there are any unsecured loans in the UK for £46,000. You're going to need to find another option.

I'm speaking as a former modular stude, who spread his training over a number of years, borrowed from parents, worked, saved, and so on to complete training. No loans.

The jobs market can be extremely unforgiving; whilst I know of people I trained with who did modular, and did very well (recently starting at BA, Virgin, to name two) others have not managed to get a job in five years post training.

Whatever you do, do not bet the farm on getting a job straight out of training. There's a good chance you'll have to wait some time before getting into the cockpit of something. I can't stress that enough!

OhNoCB
22nd Jan 2017, 05:02
Your options are basically to save up/work for the money and postpone training until you have it, find an extremely generous friend/relative, convince someone that it is a sensible idea to use their property to secure a loan for you or to reduce the size of the loan required to be able to get it unsecured.

By suggesting you look at other schools people are trying to help and essentially suggesting the last option, I personally - from starting with a PPL and ATPL exams done was able to complete the rest of my training for almost exactly the £25,000 figure mentioned with regards to unsecured loans.

stupotk
22nd Jan 2017, 10:26
Lostinspace,
Although I agree with the majority of your post - your opinion on entering flight school under 25 I do not entirely agree with!

I am 23 years old, have worked in three very different jobs (Retail, Office, Emergency Services) and like to think I have some life experience. I am yet to start training to be a pilot but I am doing everything I can to make it happen, if I could have started 2 years ago I would have.

To conclude, I understand your point and where you are coming from, but I would suggest it isn't valid for everyone under the age of 25. How much life experience should someone have before they start their training? How long is a piece of string!

Northern Monkey
22nd Jan 2017, 15:08
because to go integrated (to me) means that you want a job first, and to be a pilot second.

That's a big shout. I really don't think there is any shame in wanting to have the best possible chance of a job at the end of the course. I think thats just planning for success.

As for the OP, as others have said, there is no magic solution to your problem. Get a job and save up, or find a way to get a loan. Those are your choices!

bulldog89
23rd Jan 2017, 05:49
It was the early 1980s

The world has changed.

bulldog89
24th Jan 2017, 05:49
Do a little math and you'll see how borrowing 120,000 £ is going to be a positive investment in seven years.
Of course you have to choose the right FTO and the right scheme...

You wrote:"My parents did not support me in my quest". Does this mean that you tried but haven't been able to borrow money?

hobbit1983
24th Jan 2017, 11:06
You've got to be joking. It's a crazy financial investment. There are far less riskier ways to make more money with that kind of capital than flight training. Ever wonder why no large financial institutions actually loan people the cash for flight training?

Council Van
24th Jan 2017, 18:32
Do a little math and you'll see how borrowing 120,000 £ is going to be a positive investment in seven years.
Of course you have to choose the right FTO and the right scheme..

I rather fear that your calculation is a little flawed and based only on positive and overly optimistic assumptions.

This industry is based on preparing for the worst, that approach might be appropriate when considering financing training.

bulldog89
25th Jan 2017, 05:10
I have been at the very pinnacle of this industry as Captain for one of the worlds greatest airlines for 26 years. I came from a very middle class background. I made it, the old fashioned way, by hard work and determination. Entirely off my own back, with no help from any one. I didn't go running to those nice people at banks, who are only there to help you.

Good for you, but now onestly answer this: "does this mean that you tried but haven't been able to borrow money?" [Y/N]

My guess bulldog89 is a stool pigeon from the Fly2 Group.
These schools and banks are NOT your friend. They are running a business, and the job of any business is to separate you from your, or your parents money.

LOL. Wrong, wrong and wrong again. Unlike you I was PAID by an airline while studying...but I've greatly jeopardized my personal life to get where I am now: was it worth it? I don't think so. If I had a time machine I'd go back, borrow a :mad: of money and join an airline-mentored scheme.
Why didn't I do it before? Because in Italy there's not a single bank borrowing money to "future pilots"...and this is something I'm working on right now.

bulldog89
25th Jan 2017, 05:24
I rather fear that your calculation is a little flawed and based only on positive and overly optimistic assumptions.

This industry is based on preparing for the worst, that approach might be appropriate when considering financing training.

My calculation is based on a 2016 easyJet SO Italian contract, not taking into account a possible upgrade to the left seat. So basically SO->FO->SFO.
Of course I'm also assuming that he's not going to lose his job.

Feel free to add the 5/4 roster, the number of different european bases, the career opportunities and the lack of good alternative careers.

I say again: having a time machine I'd borrow money ASAP...does it mean I'm going to pay 40,000 £ of interests? I don't care, to me it is really worth it.

FZRA
25th Jan 2017, 08:26
My calculation is based on a 2016 easyJet SO Italian contract, not taking into account a possible upgrade to the left seat. So basically SO->FO->SFO.

So you're encouraging wannabees on a public forum to get in to £120,000 debt, based on their future career as an easyJet FO on an Italian contract?

I repeat my previous question, what about the flying instructors or those flying at Susi Air? How does the maths add up for them?

hobbit1983
25th Jan 2017, 11:16
Or the guys flying paradrop, light twins, survey, or working on the ops desk still waiting for that first job after a number of years....

vikdream
25th Jan 2017, 12:58
y calculation is based on a 2016 easyJet SO Italian contract, not taking into account a possible upgrade to the left seat. So basically SO->FO->SFO.

Feel free to add the 5/4 roster, the number of different european bases, the career opportunities and the lack of good alternative careers.

I say again: having a time machine I'd borrow money ASAP...does it mean I'm going to pay 40,000 £ of interests? I don't care, to me it is really worth it.

From other posts, it is quite clear you are still a wannabe, who cannot pay for training himself and is hoping to get a loan underwritten by an airline.

Well, bad news is that that is extremely difficult. Forget EZY, BA did it in the past, still your own loan.

Forget about what people say about BBVA, funding for pilot training... it is called mortgage at the end of the day, on your parents' house, with high interests.

It is not your fault to have to go through this. Some of us were not born rich. C'est la vie. I worked hard before training so that I did not have to get any mortgages. I was lucky, maybe.

I did go through one of the big three. Cadet for an airline, perm contract, excellent conditions. Join one of the big in Europe with decent contracts and you are looking at around 300.000 euros net in your pocket for 5 year employment (taking into account progression). Currently cadets in my airline have spent over 150.000 euro, which with interests will become close to 200.000 euro cost.

So 7 years, 100.000 euros benefit. Obviously it gets better after that.

But what they don't tell you is how many guys get there. They might tell you, but tsss, they lie. They play with numbers and we all believe in them.

- What if you are not selected?
- What if you end up somewhere else flying?
- Instructing?
- Not even that?

But...

- What if you can't pay back the mortage, and your parents either??

Or what if you can.. but then something happens in your life and lose your licence?

You would be surprised about reality, and how risks are HUGE in relation to possible benefits.
- What if

bulldog89
26th Jan 2017, 07:33

Listen...some years ago I fully shared your ideas, so I've got a BoS(Eng), worked for a couple of airlines and I also applied to a number of cadet programs: then one day I've been "lucky" enough to be selected for a fully sponsored cadetship founded by an unmentionable airline (here on the forum) which also provided a salary during training. Of course I was as happy as one could be.

But now, looking back...I just won't do it. I gave up so much to get that job, and maybe that "so much" was worth more that 120,000£.

So my opinion is this: the best period to start training was two years ago, but even today the EU market looks good...
It's no secret that the main objective of the FTOs is making money, and the same is true for the airlines...BUT: a "cheap" ATPL is going to cost something like 60,000€ and there's also an high probability that you'll also have to pay an extra 25,000€ to get a TR...so we're talking of nearly 80,000/90,000€ plus the extras (housing, food, insurance, etc).
On the other hand there are the "big three" asking for something like 110,000/130,000€ for a frozen ATPL/MPL plus MCC, UPRT and other stuff...and a "big name" to show on your CV. I know for sure that easyJet (sorry if it's my only example but I worked there, I still have a lot of contacts and I hope it will be my "backdoor" to move back to Europe) has commercial agreements with both CTC and CAE (don't know about FTE) about low-hours pilot employment, something that ables them to save money on Sim Checks and Recurrent training sessions.

So if you really want to be an airline pilot, I think this a good time to get your licences and even if there's a lot of money involved and a fair amount of risk, to do it in one of the mentioned FTOs.
Of course mortgaging your house should be seen as the extreme last option to found your training, but if you lack alternatives and everyone involved agrees...it's risk vs. reward; if it goes well everyone is happy, if it goes bad you'll live with your parents another 15 years and work to pay back your loan...or you'll find an amazing job, become millionaire and start your own airlines...who knows?

Cessnaflyer87
26th Jan 2017, 12:25
Guys,

Just for clarity, every comment here is an opinion and remember that.

I agree, the actual cost to price ratio from the FTO's is astronomical. However they offer a product, in the same way buying a one bed flat in london may seem stupid to those who can buy a 5 bed elsewhere for the same price, it is simply a product that people may wish to buy for their circumstance. If you have the money, there is nothing wrong with using them to expedite your journey however there are great risks that must be understood and acknowledged.

I want to note, i am pursuing a modular route as i do not have the financial backing to secure the debt required. I would strongly advise someone who is looking at Ab Initio training to thoroughly review the cost and the risks associated. If there is another 9/11 and you are either still in training or recently qualified, how would you keep up with debt. Especially if you are young and can't return to a well paid job.

I work am a senior member of staff in corporate lending for a bank, so if anyone wants to discuss (no advice though, that must be sought independantly), i can give you a few figures and explain some of the risk. Just DM me if needed.

Chris the Robot
26th Jan 2017, 13:51
Personally, I wouldn't spend what I couldn't afford to lose, I applied for one cadet programme last year and one the year before that. The more recent of those was fully-funded by the airline up front, i.e. no loans, they pay everything. I nearly got offered it though didn't make it past one of the latter stage interviews.

Instead I got offered a job driving trains, which I start soon. All the training is paid for by the employer, I get a decent salary in training and assuming I pass the training, that goes up quite a lot. If I intend to apply for cadetships at a later date and that is a very big "if" (read "not likely unless the railway doesn't work out") I'll have lots of relevant safety-critical experience and after five years qualified I could probably fund an MPL cash.

So, OP and others, I'd look to start a debt free career somewhere else which pays well and offers relevant experience before making a switch to the airline world, if indeed you want to do so.

FZRA
26th Jan 2017, 15:33
Just to add context for any other wannabees finding this thread.

I went to a "cheap" modular school in the UK and sought an even cheaper IR abroad. 7 years total from PPL to fATPL and everything completed for approx £55K with zero debt.

Worked those 7 years within the industry and was offered a jet type rating (3 year bond) shortly after finishing training.

I'm meeting guys on the line, around the same age as me, who went to Oxford/CTC and still have around £80K to pay back to their bank/parents. Yet we fly the same jet for the same salary!

PFDriver
26th Jan 2017, 23:56
We can turn it the other way around: Yet they're probably 5 years younger than you (as they only spent 2 on the course) and in 2 years on the job they'll get those 80k£ back. Which still leaves them with 3 years salary advantage.

There is no such thing as a better way or a right way, it is up to each and every individual to see what their pockets allow them to pay and decide how to do it. You definitely deserve all the credit for doing it the way you did, but younger people having the responsibility that comes with 100,000£ upon their shoulders at 18/19 and succeeding deserve some credit! Thank god my family supported me through training back then and I didn't need a bank, but I felt the responsibility of all that money to the point of not being able to fall asleep just cause I was afraid of missing my 7AM flight and still have to pay for it, get a no show, etc.. Like any other student who is bright enough to have an idea of how much money we are talking about.
If I felt that way, I can imagine those paying it with a huge debt!

Just because some choose a more direct route, that doesn't mean anything is given to them or made easier. I believe we should look at both sides of the coin and I do give you all the credit, but I can understand those who do it different ways.

wiggy
27th Jan 2017, 04:09
Good post IMHO, one point/query from someone who get some approached by wannabes but who is not really up so speed on the modern finance aspect of all this.

, I would PERSONALLY prefer spending 120k (on an airline sponsored training) and knowing within 7 years I could pay it off.

Serious question: As a student signed up for one of these courses can you ever "know" that?

I ask because some do seem increasingly to regard passing the aptitude tests and getting on a course at a ATO as the hard bit, and that the rest from then on is almost assumed to be a "given" and one will progress serenely into the RHS of a shiney jet on a relatively good salary. Sadly it doesn't always work like that ....

I guess the answer might be course/airline policy with regard to course failure or withdrawal.

wiggy
27th Jan 2017, 06:47
Again in life nothing is certain. It thats the case then we might as well not do anything else in life and not risk anything.

Very very true.

I am agreeing with you that not everyone has succeeded but its definitely not the majority, otherwise PPRuNe would be filled with many more young sour grapes.

I'd agree it's not the majority, but I do wonder how many who do fall by the wayside (and some definitely do) would have the bravery it would need to post their story on Pprune?

Officer Kite
27th Jan 2017, 09:58
You could get on a plane to Florida and have all your hour building done in a couple of 2 week package holidays. 2x £500 and about £7000 for 100 hours.. (maybe a couple of grand extra if you play it smart and get your FAA IR as well

Whilst in an ideal world I would love to do this, save cash, not have to be away from home for extended periods, be able to work part time and even make cash during training etc etc

However the reality, and I can tell you this as someone who works in an airline and communicates with pilots on a daily basis, including the head of training etc. I can tell you they don't look favorably upon someone heading stateside and smashing out the hours in such time then coming back, those of senior status in this airline (i.e. those who decide what CVs go straight in the bin or those that get called) simply view that all as a cowboy job. "Anyone can go and hour build, but what is the quality of those hours?" is pretty much exactly what was said to me. I am pretty sure that is the attitude in most airlines (though admittedly not all). However as people with these mindsets move around airlines and reset standards - an airline that may give you a chance today having trained that way may not do so in the near future. It really is Russian roulette with the magnitude of the gamble.

As much as I don't like it, the reality is the majority of airlines prefer those who have been to an integrated school - this was said to me directly again.

Previously I was in doubt and felt people were talking nonsense and that modular was just as good to an airline, since joining one and speaking to the right people though I can see I was wrong - thankfully before too late.

Prophead
27th Jan 2017, 10:45
I can tell you they don't look favorably upon someone heading stateside and smashing out the hours in such time then coming back

As much as I don't like it, the reality is the majority of airlines prefer those who have been to an integrated school - this was said to me directly again.

I understand fully about the quality of flying during hour building. The whole point of the hour building is to become an aircraft commander. The best way to do this is to fly as many types as you can and try different types of flying. Some time in foreign countries is a good thing but not, as you have been told going to one place that has great weather and flying the same type until you reach the number of hours you need.

I was out in Arizona a couple of years ago doing some flying and there were students from a large integrated school doing the hour building at the same airfield.

They were doing exactly as you describe, flying one type in fantastic weather and just knocking out the hours as quickly as possible. They probably paid a hell of a lot more than I was too.

It seems to me that the modular route is far more in line with the above type of thinking than integrated.

As to the £100,000 loans, if you have the money and can afford to spend it without seeing results at the end then go for it. If you are borrowing on your own back then you better have an alternative career to pay it back once the term starts. A bank will not be interested in the fact you cannot get a job. They will want their money back.

If you are letting your parents take money from their house or savings then you have a duty to make sure they know all the facts. Aviation is one of the first and hardest hit whenever a downturn happens. If there is another 9/11 style attack or SARS type virus or financial meltdown then you will not be getting a job. Should you be employed then you will probably also find that your the first out the door if the above happens too. It doesn't even have to be that large scale, a rise in interest rates can hurt the aviation industry as it is that fragile.

What happens then? If you can make the payments then your parents will have to. If they can't then there goes their house. This may sound dramatic but that is the reality. It has happened before and it will happen again.

There are many, many modular guys flying airliners for a living and after that first job nobody cares about how you trained. The only reason we have the likes of CTC is because people are willing to pay for it, not because there was ever a shortage of competent pilots.

clamchowder
27th Jan 2017, 11:32
A lot of rubbish flying around on this thread. Oxford is a good choice to get a job and fund your passion.
95+% of airline pilots I fly with went to CTC or Oxford, not phil's flying school at a grass strip. (I make no conclusions to the quality of training at small outfits, merely success with getting a jet job)
A lot of people looking for jobs that don't want to compete against you on here.
Oxford and CTC are being hoovered by easyjet and others at the moment. There hasn't been so much recruitment in over 10 years!! You make the right choice in oxford.
I'd ask family/ well off friends and banks face to face and see what they say. The pool is getting very small at the moment. I heard from a TRI/TRE that the CAA are telling airlines they need think ahead more than they are because in a few years there won't be enough people willing to pay to train! (I've simplified what was said, there were graphs and everything ;) )
Bull by the horns! Do what you can to get the dough and go to OAA or CTC. The new FOs around me at the moment (all from one of the 2) are getting in to hold pools or positions in 1-3 months out of flight school, sub 6 months in EVERY case I've heard.
Perhaps this is because they take the top 10% from each class to go to an airline which would mean my perspective isn't representative... perhaps. Those integrated are 120k+
It took me 3 years to get a job.

FZRA
27th Jan 2017, 11:43
The new FOs around me at the moment (all from one of the 2) are getting in to hold pools or positions in 1-3 months out of flight school, sub 6 months in EVERY case I've heard.

That's great, and I wish them all the best.

But are you saying that 100% of Oxford/CTC graduates make the holding pool for a jet job?

Also, if you check the initial post of this thread (which has now gone wildly off topic) it was a guy considering doing modular training at Oxford.

The benefits of Integrated schools are well known, and there is no doubt that if you have £120K cash to spend then this is your best chance (note, not guarantee) of landing a jet job.

But I don't think we should encourage wannabees to get themselves in vast amounts of debt unless they are willing to face the consequences of paying back that debt on a Flight Instructors salary, should they be one of the unlucky ones who don't end up in the jet holding pool right away.

KayPam
27th Jan 2017, 11:55
That doesn't mean you cannot go the modular route for 60k total and not find a job. Many are lucky to get into ryanair, pay a type rating for 25k euro and get that first job. Though don't be fooled either that if ryan air have applicants from Oxford and applicants from a mixed modular in poland, czech etc they are likely to give the Oxford candidate a higher chance. I also have friends in pilot recruitment for a large airline and its all point based and training when you're low houred is very important. So although there are many inspiring stories out there of people spending 40 to 50k ONLY, in the end after doing the math, I would PERSONALLY prefer spending 120k (on an airline sponsored training) and knowing within 7 years I could pay it off. Will I be comfortable? NO. But neither would I be comfortable spending 60k for a CPL , then 25-35k for a type rating with no job.

Could we please come up with a best employability/cost ratio ?
It seems like FTE Jerez, at 10k below Oxford/CTC (for the CPL->JOC), with almost the same opportunities afterwards (??) is a very good candidate, doesn't it ?

Ideally, one would compile a list of all preferred FTOs by the different airlines and compute the optimum ratio (or choose based on another criteria) but this data seems hard to get all together.

Could someone please give us that kind of list at least for one airline ?

MaverickPrime
27th Jan 2017, 19:33
Let's say you borrow the £120k, you get the job at the end of training and you can pay back the money no problem! Guess what happens next.... life happens....you meet a bird, you decide to get serious, you end up married, she is expecting and you want to buy a house ..... bla bla bla etc etc ...... believe me, it'll all happen very quick!

As great as flying an airliner is, it's still just a job! You need to have a life outside of flying to keep you sane, its very hard get on with the rest of your life when you have £120k on your credit report!!

Chris the Robot
27th Jan 2017, 20:18
Spot on Maverick, it is just a job after all.

As soon as people wake up to this and take a more discerning view of the opportunities the better.

Hopefully what Clamchowder has said re: the CAA will be correct and that airlines will start funding the process as a result.

KayPam
27th Jan 2017, 23:10
I compiled this much data tonight :
This is a list of all flight schools I'm interested in (or could be interested in) with their price, in euros, trying to include everything (skill test and CAA fee particularly) but not accomodation nor food.
When they did not provide a JOC or a MCC/JOC, I added an discretionary price of 4450€ (that's simtech's price)

Could anyone tell me the first flight school that will be reputable enough to facilitate getting interviews ?
Would you add any school at all to that list ? Or remove one ?

STAPLEFORD FLIGHT CENTRE 29000
DFAS 29100
Airways 30500
Ravenair 32100
BCFT 32400
FTA 33800
AFTA 34800
Advanced flight training 37800
FTE 45500
CTC 51900
Oxford 57600

hobbit1983
28th Jan 2017, 10:30
KayPam,

If you are dead set on getting into an airline job ASAP, unfortunately in my experience you need to go CTC Wings or Oxford (just my experience. Not a hard rule). You'll pay more but have a much better chance (sadly).

KayPam
28th Jan 2017, 13:20
KayPam,

If you are dead set on getting into an airline job ASAP, unfortunately in my experience you need to go CTC Wings or Oxford (just my experience. Not a hard rule). You'll pay more but have a much better chance (sadly).

Are you talking about integrated ?
Integrated, in my case, would be a waste of time and money.
Time because it lasts for 18 months whereas I could do my modular training in the remaining 10 months of this year at minimum.
Money because well.. about 100k€ is twice or more than twice the price. Plus for each month spent not working you can add my not earned salary to the bill.

I've learnt about the existence of Kura aviation yesterday night. They provide a very expensive MCC/JOC but they seem to offer high-end services in helping their graduates find a job.

Since it is today much harder to find a job than do actually do the job, I think it could be a good solution.

Couple them with the cheapest CPL MEIR and you're fully qualified for 40ke, compared to 55k for oxford modular (and an MCC/JOC which you don't know if it will be as useful afterwards)

Am I wrong ?

But if your goal is to get an interview.
Wouldn't some previous flight experience make what school you went to irrelevant?

It indeed looks like one need to have a "brandname" on their CV in order to get interviews more easily..
A guy I know went straight from FTE to Norwegian without meeting the requirements they state on their website. Just because he was from FTE.

KayPam
28th Jan 2017, 16:27
Well its rather 12 months and I'm already two months in, so ten months remaining.
For ATPL theory to fATPL.
Regarding hours building well.. In six months of ATPL theory I could fly 100 hours if I had the money to do it ! I'm only 20 hours of PIC short of the minima.

Most schools I see indicate 4 to 6 months for the practical phase.
So I counted 6 months (ATPL theory) + 2 contingency months (delays before entering the school, before taking the ATPL exams). For the practical phase, spanish weather at FTE should allow it in 3 months, from september to november. December being the MCC/JOC phase so not weather restricted.
That's only if they have a slot for me though.

As of now, I'm right on schedule regarding ATPL theory. Half the time reading the books, half the time answering questions, that's about 80-100 pages per day during the books half and then 200-250 questions per day during the other half of the time.
I passed my first "school exams" with scores between 88-100% (Air law, Ops, instruments, comms) in less than two months.
I will take these exams on 17/02, that's two weeks "lost", included in the two contingency months.

It requires working on it every day, including new years eve and christmas, though.

If I don't pass flight skill tests on the first attempt well.. It doesn't matter being behind schedule because who is going to recruit me after that ? Even Ryanair won't.

Officer Kite
28th Jan 2017, 17:38
Kaypam you will not do your fATPL from scratch in 10 months, I hate to sound rude but set yourself an achievable (realistic) goal. Even 12 months is quite low. Think more 14.

And don't get too bogged down if you don't pass your IR first time. There are some who will accept a second pass. I heard of one individual now flying an A321 who had a 3rd series pass! Best of luck with it

PFDriver
28th Jan 2017, 18:15
KayPam, you are being too naive...plain simple.

2 months for PPL
2 months for IR
2 months for CPL
6 months for ATPL Theory
Throw in a few more for unexpected delays, exam retakes and time building, you just got your 14-15 months MINIMUM.

You have to remember that planes break down, that you're not the only student the school has to get flying, that sometimes it's easier said than done and you have to focus on a specific thing and so on... Don't run against the clock, I can guarantee you that life will make the clock win.

Take your time, choose what's best for your pocket and career but be realistic on your goals. Forget the big poster every school has by the door saying: "Our cadets fly for XXX, YYY, CCC, AAA, BBB". The cadets fly for those schools based on their own effort, sleepless nights and most of the time self-sponsored type rating + MCC/JOC + whatever... YOU will be the difference between flying for A or B airline in the future, don't rely on their marketing because in the end of the day, schools are businesses with a sole purpose...to make money!

KayPam
28th Jan 2017, 18:40
Kaypam you will not do your fATPL from scratch in 10 months, I hate to sound rude but set yourself an achievable (realistic) goal. Even 12 months is quite low. Think more 14.

And don't get too bogged down if you don't pass your IR first time. There are some who will accept a second pass. I heard of one individual now flying an A321 who had a 3rd series pass! Best of luck with it
12 months is the total estimate, including margins and from PPL + 170hours

Facts are I am ready for 4 (and almost 5) subjects out of 14 after just 7 weeks of work.
My only worry is the delay before being able to take the tests, but it should work out well provided I pay the CAA fee :ugh:

For the subjects to come, I graduated a year ago with a master's degree in aero engineering. As my education covered most of the subjects (more or less in depth) I'm not worried at all regarding the subjects to come.

Daily work is key :) I am right now in a break from my question bank.

Most worrisome steps are financing, getting a place in a flight school on such short notice (for instance, tayside aviation told me that they will not have a place for me anywhere in 2017) and getting a job afterwards.

MaverickPrime
28th Jan 2017, 19:08
You will be doing well to get through the ATPLs in 6 months if you are studying modular! Trying to get brush-up courses and exam dates back to back at a time that suits you is not always easy!

Prophead
28th Jan 2017, 21:22
These types of threads really depress me. Treating the PPL and hour building like inconvenient hurdles to tick off as quick as possible.

Do you want to fly or just desperate to wear the uniform?

Go and learn some real skills at a good school. Not just one that will get you through the PPL syllabus asap. Next go and fly as many types as you can and become a decent pilot with some actual skills rather than yet another 100 hour facebook skygod in a C152.

If you get a job You will be spending a lot of time watching the autopilot follow the magenta line and if you a borrowing the money to fund it you will not be able to afford to fly for fun.

KayPam
28th Jan 2017, 21:56
These types of threads really depress me. Treating the PPL and hour building like inconvenient hurdles to tick off as quick as possible.

Do you want to fly or just desperate to wear the uniform?

Go and learn some real skills at a good school.
It is an inconvenient hurdle only because I have to pay for it :)
This whole (f) ATPL thing is beginning to turn my stomach.
I need to clarify things a bit.
My initial plan was to train at a very slow pace, paying my training only with my salary.

However,right now we are in a very favourable phase for recruitments. This could end anytime. So my best chance at getting a job is to train ASAP.
Things would be different if this was the year 2009.

PFDriver
29th Jan 2017, 00:09
KayPam,

no one but you knows what's best for your situation.

Do what you gotta do and what you think it's right and leave the rest behind.

Good luck ;)

hobbit1983
29th Jan 2017, 09:33
KayPam,

You certainly seem dead set on the course you've planned. No problem. But in my (ten years of) experience in the industry, having seen plenty of people trying to get in, and plenty not, I really do think you're better off going integrated right now. That's not to say doing it modular is wrong; just that from what I've seen, you'll maximise the chances doing the other way.

You'll probably get a job doing it modular. But (it'll certainly not get done in 12 months btw) you run the risk of waiting months or years post graduation for the first job. Like a lot of modular people have. You'll then have spent a lot more time at it.

Take from that what you will. No guarantees.

MiggHD
29th Jan 2017, 12:30
I am going to start pilot training very soon, going modular, firstly starting off with the PPL at some local flying school at halfpenny green airport. once i have done that, I am going to join CTC takeoff, doing each course individually. I aim to be done in 12-15 months time.

BradleyB
29th Jan 2017, 16:49
Nothing is guaranteed in this industry.

This is so true, i had my experience about this

AlfieAllen
13th Feb 2017, 14:53
I am going to start pilot training very soon, going modular, firstly starting off with the PPL at some local flying school at halfpenny green airport. once i have done that, I am going to join CTC takeoff, doing each course individually. I aim to be done in 12-15 months time.

How are you aiming to fund this idea if you dont mind me asking?

tech log
17th Feb 2017, 11:35

How many times do you need to be told, you will not be placed with your GCSE qualifications. You need to resit them.

You will be WASTING YOUR MONEY.

tech log
17th Feb 2017, 11:37
But with the EZY MPL you're 99% guaranteed a job unless the airline disintegrates (which could also happen).

People are terminated from training at CTC not too irregularly.

MPL trainees are not exempt from this.

You are guaranteed bugger all.

Crask93
18th Feb 2017, 16:53
In regards to planning how long you think the training will take you ill give you my experience so far.

Background: Finished Uni with an Aerospace degree, got a full time engineering job local to me in May 2015 and started training in July. Had very little money to start with, all funding comes from working.

Started a LAPL in July 2015 (no real reason, just the instructor I wanted to fly with could only do LAPL's). I managed to get a test in on Christmas Eve, licence was issued January. I then did a night rating as part of the PPL conversion course and finally got a PPL (A) with a night rating issued by March 2016. This could have been earlier but due to the weather. So you're talking around 8 months for all that.

I was then lucky to find an economical share in a Cessna 150 locally for hour building. Some fantastic flying over the summer turned into a bit of a drag over winter. 157 hours was hit in January 2017. 10 months for that.

Taking a step back a little, I signed up to an ATPL course with CAT's in May time. Of the three stages, I passed the first in October, second stage in January 2017 and I have the final stage penciled in for March-April 2017. Without a doubt the most difficult and strenuous part of training. Be careful when estimating the time for this. Trying to rush these is probably not worth the resits. Lots of information to take in but they are all passable.

So 20 months in and you don't feel like you have made much progress but its close, you just have to stick with it.

My plan, note, PLAN, it may change, is as follows:

I have a course booked at Diamond Flight Academy in Sweden for June. This will take me to August assuming all is well. When im back it will be the MCC/JOC course which is still undecided, depending on finance at the time.

So overall it will have taken me around 2 years 2 months. Depending on your background, finances, motivation and determination, I would say that is a relatively fair estimate for someone who starts off with very little with a full time job.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to follow the modular route. I can't say if it will give me an advantage over an Integrated guy, but I certainly think you get much more life experience and are probably a more rounded individual at the end. I don't mean that against an integrated guy however.

Plan things, budget things, but be aware things can change in an instant. If the exchange rates drop my plan may change again :)

PM me if anyone has any questions.

Chris the Robot
19th Feb 2017, 20:40
As Tech has said, you can lose the lot and since it's your money which you've put up front, what does an airline have to lose if they don't think you're right for them? The Aer Lingus scheme is a good one (they pay the lot up front) and if you have a PPL, possibly West Atlantic.

Personally I wouldn't touch the rest unless I could afford to lose a lot of money. I wouldn't pay for my own training either beyond getting an instructors rating in my spare time. You only have to look outside of the commercial piloting bubble to see how bad some of the schemes are.

You have plenty of big companies paying for people to complete 5, 6 and 7 year training programmes which involve a mixture of work and study, often to degree level. Indeed, the training programme that I'm on costs my current employer the best part of £150k from start-to-finish. How much of it am I paying? None, they're paying me instead.

Hopefully, that puts everything into perspective. I know it's a dream and yes, the marketing people do a very effective job of selling it but make sure you see through the marketing hype for what it is at the end of the day. A job. One which the employer should be paying you for and ideally paying for your training too.

MiggHD
23rd Feb 2017, 00:05
I understand that I wont get placed without GCSE's, now im retaking all of them in 2 months time. Ill be focusing on that now :)