PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Mail - help!

Old and Horrified
16th Jan 2017, 13:00
My other half has just bought herself a brand new Windows 10 laptop and I have been setting it up for her. Managed to get the MS supplied Mail programme linked to her existing POP email account and she can now download and read her emails and quite likes the layout.

However, there appeared at first to be no mechanism for importing contacts (address book) from her old computer. I solved this by creating a new outlook.com email account, importing her address book into that and then linking that new account into Win 10 Mail. Messy, but works. However, no way that I can see to set up groups of contacts which is a shame because she used that quite a lot with her old computer (using Outlook). There is also no way that I can see to set up sub-folders to store emails according to their content. The only option appears to be just one huge inbox.

However, the bit I really dislike is that emails that are deleted only seem to stay in the Deleted Items folder for about 3 minutes and then disappear and are then gone for ever! Bad luck if you accidently delete something important. Surely this cannot be right?

Anyone find a way to get around these problems?

Edited to add that it has also deleted the emails from the server so I can't even get them back using the old computer!

ExSp33db1rd
16th Jan 2017, 21:40
Can't help. sorry, but using Outlook on Windows H'eight, downloaded from an old Office 2007 disc. I know that there is an option to retain /or delete items from the server. Maybe you need to play around with all ( if any ? ) options available ?

I couldn't get my old WAB ( Windows Address Book ) now called Contacts, to move over to Outlook from my previous Outlook Express, either, and try as I might I'm unable to get Groups added to an outgoing e-mail. I've started all over again creating new groups, but I just get the message - unable - or words to that effect.

Life Was Easier before Outlook, Windows H'eight and now it appears Windows 10, which I'm steering well clear of as long as possible, having installed my old Office 2007, and Word 97 I'm reasonably happy, they do all I want.

Why the fcuk do THEY have to change everything, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Best of luck, I'm sure there are better brains than mine out there who will come to your aid.

Lancelot37
17th Jan 2017, 16:51
Doesn't answer your question but I much prefer to use Moxilla Thunderbird, a much better program.

BEagle
17th Jan 2017, 22:32
O&H, is that 'real' Outlook as in the Outlook part of Office, or that standalone p.o.s. Outlook.com which seems to be the latest incarnation of the useless Windows Live Mail. Or perhaps it's the latest new name for Hotmail?

If the latter, I would recommend NOT trying to upload any address book. I had a few addresses saved on Hotmail a while ago and someone hacked them, then spammed everyone on the list. It took days to recover Hotmail....

Now I use Outlook 2007 - but my new back-up laptop has Outlook 2016 which is even more complicated and user-unfriendly than Outlook 2007. But it does actually open my old archived .eml files from the much simpler (and more user-friendly) Outlook Express, something which Outlook 2007 won't.

I also access my Hotmail account through adding it as another e-mail account in Outlook 2006 / 2017.

Old and Horrified
19th Jan 2017, 10:53
I'm afraid it was outlook.com as that is the only way I could find to import address book entries. .CSV file from (Office) Outlook into Outlook.com and then link that account in Win 10 Mail. As I said - messy.

Thanks for your comments, I was afraid those might be the answers.

The problem is that new computers only seem to come with Win 10 nowadays so we are just going to have to get used to it. I think I'll stick with my old Win 7 machine!

yellowtriumph
19th Jan 2017, 15:16
Can I suggest you try the Microsoft live 'chat' facility and ask them your question directly? Just type 'microsoft chat' into google to get going and take it from there, in a few clicks you'll soon be chatting online with their experts.

poke53281
19th Jan 2017, 17:09
Shame bout Mail for Win 10, its a nice layout as you say but thats about it, the rest is..... flakey
I use thunderbird but i loaded EMclient on my dads PC and he gets on well with it . search for it. its free.
PS ive had bad experiences with M$ Chat, they seem insistent on running a SFC/scannow (a check/repair on windows files) in the first instance regardless of what issure yo uare facing. Last time they did this to me I almost lost everything.

ExSp33db1rd
19th Jan 2017, 20:47
The problem is that new computers only seem to come with Win 10 nowadays

Or move to Apple !