PDA

View Full Version : Tug run over SYD

LeeJoyce
16th Jan 2017, 07:59
Heard that an A320 ran over a push back tug today at SYD

Anyone got anymore information or pics

das Uber Soldat
16th Jan 2017, 11:14
Powerpush got itself jammed against the gear during pushback. Plane stuck. No biggy.

LeeJoyce
16th Jan 2017, 11:18
Is that all

Has happened many times in MEL

framer
16th Jan 2017, 20:35
From a pilots perspective, is there anything we can do to avoid this happening? I sometimes look down at the extreme angles the tug gets into and wonder if it would be best to stop, disconnect, straighten the tow bar and then start again but as I know little about the tug drivers job I have never interrupted the process.
For you tug drivers out there, why does this happen? Is it simply an error of judgement much like when we make the mistake of taxiing past the STOP mark on the bay?

Kranky
16th Jan 2017, 21:50
Framer, generally speaking the tug, towbar and nose gear should all pretty much be in a straight line down the center line when pushback is complete.
Exceptions to this would be when late adjustments are made to try and put the a/c fuselage straight on the line though, having said that, any good experienced tug operator who is familiar with the various aircraft types, bays and stop points should be quite neat and smooth every time.
Learners and inexperienced, well that's another matter.

LeeJoyce
16th Jan 2017, 22:11
Framer this was a PPU incident

There's nothing anyone can do, it's basically automated pushback, Pilots steer, PPU operator just makes it go backwards or forwards

In terms of massive angle, sometimes some drivers leave the turn just a bit late and then have to chase it around and do all sorths of silly things, there are also genuinely average operators too, some people just can't drive I've almost seen it all.

You can get away with it on a narrowbody, but when you do the same thing on a widebody with engines running you can easily get in the poo

framer
17th Jan 2017, 02:01
Thanks for the info.
I've never done a ppu push before and didn't realise the pilots steer.
Thanks again.

megan
17th Jan 2017, 03:24
This'll solve all your problems. Maybe

WheelTug Successfully Tests Electric Drive System on Boeing 737NG (http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/wheeltug-successfully-tests-electric-drive-system-on-boeing-737ng-1672869.htm)

Willie Nelson
17th Jan 2017, 03:28
It's happened three times to me on a NB and every time it's been a massive Pain in the arse.

planeloader
18th Jan 2017, 06:43
I believe VA are replacing there PPU,s with tugs, well in MEL not sure about other ports.

Roj approved
19th Jan 2017, 00:56
Megan,

that article is from 2012 and we are yet to see it in any sort of widespread use, so, it can't be that attractive to operators/manufacturers.

Obviously the complexity or weight penalty outweigh the savings.

continueapproach737
26th Jan 2017, 11:29
saving money on towbars but creating nose gear splits?