PDA

View Full Version : No GCSE'S

skytruka
16th Jan 2001, 15:06
I have been wanting to fly aeroplanes for ages now because i am sick of the road haulage buisness. But when i asked about a coasre SFT AND oXFORD said that they woodn,t take me because i havn't got the nesecarry GCSEs.Shurely it cant be that difficult, i have a HGV1 lisence and i hat to pass exams for that. Can anyone tell me were to go to get a coarse.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Jan 2001, 16:23
Most local colleges will do evening GCSE courses.

G

M13
16th Jan 2001, 16:33
Skytruka,

You are obviously a very motivated individual. You seem to have spelling and grammar skills which far surpass most of us who contribute to these forums.

Therefore considering the expected shortage of qualified pilots in the future you should have no problem achieving your dream.

As I am sure you know numeracy skills are as important to a wannabe pilot therefore I challenge you with these little teasers. If you score over 50% I am certain that you will make it into the flight-deck.

1. 2/2= http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
2. 2+2= http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
3. 10-5= http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
4. 50-50= http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

You have 30 minutes to complete these little tricksters.

[This message has been edited by M13 (edited 16 January 2001).]

Alex Whittingham
16th Jan 2001, 16:41
There is no JAA or CAA requirement for GCSE's. This has probably been imposed by the schools who are required by the CAA to make sure you can cope with the maths and English requirements of the course. We often get students who are slightly behind the curve in maths and suggest either a local college course or local private tuition to get them up to scratch. It really does save time in the long run.

If you can demonstrate adequate mathematical ability and communicate effectively in both written and spoken English they should take you whether you have the bits of paper or not.

This only applies if you are paying for your own training. Courses that involve airline sponsorship are more rigid. Then you do need the bits of paper to even be considered, they use the exam passes as a filter to reduce the number of applicants. In the process they undoubtably ignore many very capable candidates but they have so many applications they can afford to.

Ray Ban
16th Jan 2001, 17:07
From the number of spelling mistakes in your short post, I would suggest you stick to long distance HGV driving! Also, likening HGV driving and exams to professional pilot exams is a bit of a joke really!! However, if you are still determined to have a go then get yourself a PPL and take it from there.

M13
16th Jan 2001, 17:37
Have none of you thought that Skytruka is probably a seasoned PPruNer having a laugh. In fact I wouldn't mind betting that he is flying already and is finding your replies really funny.

Come on Skytruka what is your real identity?

Or are you still stuck on those maths questions that I set you earlier.

M13 JDI

split throttle
16th Jan 2001, 17:59
GCSE's are relatively easy to study for as you can go to evening classes and the work load i'm sure will not be too heavy.
Having done mine a few years back I remember gaining entry into college required a minimum of 4 passes. This will probably be the case with OATS Cabair and most flying schools.

Good subjects to have:

Maths
Physics
ENGLISH!!!!!!!!
A language

Hope it helps, good luck and happy spelling!

------------------
where the hell am I now?

RVR800
16th Jan 2001, 20:47
It is simply a question of acquiring the
coarse skills needed to drive a plane

AYLGR
16th Jan 2001, 22:14
Naa, come to think of it, stick with the trucks. Skytruka`s probably got huge great trucker hands and his fingers would each cover about 4 buttons on the FMC. Mind you, his CB experience will come in handy for the bunfights on 126.9 etc!
Bob

[This message has been edited by AYLGR (edited 16 January 2001).]

chewinggum
17th Jan 2001, 00:47
Skytrucka...What can i say.Get your head down and start studying that basic maths and physics.Failing that,the only other thing you can do is join eddie stobbard .They've got just as many spotters as my local airfield has..Oh and by the way has anybody ever thought about the fact that someone with no Gcse's is flying that 737.

:)

[This message has been edited by chewinggum (edited 16 January 2001).]

Trainee pilot
17th Jan 2001, 01:34
You certainly don't need qualifications to join a modular course. The only reason GCSE's and A levels are req are for sponsorship,to set a standard but if you can prove to the airlines you can train yourself to Airline level then that is good enough for most. I have talked to loads of airline F/O's and Captains with no qualifications whom have come from such backgrounds as builders/train drivers/taxi drivers! If you have the will to succeed and the determination to achieve a lifetime ambition then nothing should stop you!(Except for the medical!)I for one have no GCSE's(no slagging off anyone, each to their own....)and I have already passed 7 JAR ATPL exams and thats at Oxford, all you need to do is remember the equasions, makes no difference if you don't know what a cosine or tangent does, just the order to press the buttons on your calculator(with some exceptions of course)!Yes, it would be easier with a firm understanding of all the jargon but you will learn it as you go along, either on your own or with a "know your maths" CDROM! Anyway, as I said, if that's what you want to do in life, not just "for a while" then go for it and don't look back, you don't want to look back on your'e one chance at life and say "if only I tried"? About the school that wouldn't take you, stuff them! Go somewhere that gives a damn or wants your money!(probably the latter) and if you ever lose faith, stand at the end of Heathrow's runway and watch them come in (you can tell when the pilot takes over from the autopilot as the wings wobble and the thrust goes up and down!), you'll soon regain your will to get there!.......Good luck in whatever you decide to do. See you on the flight deck.
P.S.....If you are taking the micky, don't be a nuissance, there are people here who really do give a damn and hopefully what is written here and also above will help someone but if you are serious, I would suggest an English GCSE............

[This message has been edited by Trainee pilot (edited 16 January 2001).]

skytruka
17th Jan 2001, 02:13
Thanks guize!!!

tailscrape
17th Jan 2001, 04:09
This is most definitely a wind up surely? But for the record I have only a bare handful of GCSE's....people change from being a spotty 16 year old given time.

GCSE's mean very little. Life experience I think counts for a great deal.

Let anyone who wants to have a think about that do so. Anyone who wants to train and has the dosh and balls, well good luck, cos we all know you need loads of it (both) in this game.

Blackshift
17th Jan 2001, 12:59
Do I detect more than one self-satisfied toffee-nosed git trying to have a cheap laugh at the expense of truckers?

This reminds me of a certain tutor at a certain ATPL study centre informing the students about to take a mock exam that a failure on this occasion might as well be followed by an application to the London Hackney Cab Office. Having studied for and passed both ATPL's and the Edinburgh Licenced Taxi Drivers test, I can assure you that the cab test was by far the most difficult - 95% being required for a pass, and no multiple choice to jog the memory (or provide the option of a lucky guess)...and as for the London 'Knowledge', God only knows how anyone can hack that!

Morever I suspect that the handling skills involved in the safe control of a large articulated truck, both in terms of manual dexterity and spacial awareness, must compare to those required for just about any civil aircraft in most circumstances.

Whether or not this post is genuine, I fear it is the case that snobby pilots are a much more authentic stereotype than semi-literate truckers.

------------------
Today is a good day for vanity and chasing after the wind.

[This message has been edited by Blackshift (edited 17 January 2001).]

Flying Spider
17th Jan 2001, 14:29
Blackshift,

"The knowledge" is not that hard! It's just a big memory test. One of my old school mates is a black cab driver in London and I have sat with him many a time in the cab and we often joked with each other about how to go somewhere in the shortest possible time. I didn't do too bad most of the time and given constant practice I bet I could pass "the knowledge" test. Then again as a kid I used to prefer to read an atlas or a map as opposed to other things so perhaps it figures. :)

A good memory is all you need!

[This message has been edited by Flying Spider (edited 17 January 2001).]

Blackshift
17th Jan 2001, 14:59
Flying Spider,

Fair point - no doubt you have a good memory and are well disciplined in terms of study skills, so it's "just" a matter of doing the work, all of it... completely (as opposed to just imagining about what it would be like).

As I said, I found the work required to be much harder than for the ATPL's (with the possible exception of Air Law, admittedly). It's probably all down to boredom thresholds and the fact that my memory is far from photographic.

Personally, I wouldn't have the gall to argue that anything is easy - including an HGV Class I - unless I had done it myself!

------------------
Today is a good day for vanity and chasing after the wind.

[This message has been edited by Blackshift (edited 17 January 2001).]

SOHCAHTOA
17th Jan 2001, 18:10
I know who this guy is and for a £10 donation to my flying kitty I might consider blowing the whistle.
Sorry SkyTruka, friends maybe friends but my flying is expensive!!! ;)

Perfect PFL
17th Jan 2001, 19:09
Your flying can't be that expensive, otherwise you would ask for more than £10, as that doesn't go very far towards flying, probably pay to taxi to the runway and back. :)

Blackshift
18th Jan 2001, 02:59
QED :rolleyes:

No more questions your honour, this concludes case for the defence of self made aviators from all walks of life against elitist slander! :)

YPJT_Noodle1Departure
19th Jan 2001, 08:55
M13....come on this is obviously a wind up.
Pretty amuzing though, if he does actually have those great maths/english skills he'll have no problem getting in with Air India/Indian Airlines, PIA but to mame a few!
And no that aint a spelling error!!!

JTN1Dep.

YPJT_Noodle1Departure
19th Jan 2001, 09:21
M13.

I thought I'd give your little brain teasers a whizz. Here's what I have got after many hours of hard work.

1. 2/2 is 1
2. 2+2 is 4
3. 10-5 is 5
4. This one was tricky so i'll post another reply when I have had a bit more time. God if you only get 30mins in the tests to do all that it's going to be tough.

[This message has been edited by YPJT_Noodle1Departure (edited 20 January 2001).]

Ray Ban
19th Jan 2001, 12:41
YPJT_Noodle1Departure – what do you know about the selection procedures for Air India, Indian Airlines or PIA? Probably nothing, but I guess it doesn’t stop an ignoramus like you posting such twaddle! Their English might sound different to you and me but it’s perfectly competent and clear RT. It's not their first language either but I guess you can't comprehend that!

In future keep your ignorant views to yourself. As for your spelling – I can’t be bothered!

YPJT_Noodle1Departure
20th Jan 2001, 18:01
Ray Ban,
I take it your from that part of the world then????

As far as their selection process....If you can whip up a mean vindaloo, you're in!!

lone eagle
20th Jan 2001, 18:54
Reminds me of a funny story I once heard about Air India. When asked for his position, the captain of an Air India flight responded with 'I am in the cockpit'

Says it all really. ;) ;)

Got a great story about a Lufthansa captain and Korean Air if anyone is interested?

[This message has been edited by lone eagle (edited 20 January 2001).]

Ray Ban
20th Jan 2001, 19:29
That's genuinely funny Lone Eagle! :) Now how about that Lufthansa and Korean Air story! :)

lone eagle
20th Jan 2001, 23:55
Ok, hear I go, my dad told me this one because he was sitting on the runway at JFK when it happened. On the day there were lots of aircraft stacked up waiting to depart and lots of aircraft missing their slot times including a Lufthansa aircraft. When questioned about his delay by air traffic the Lufthansa Captain anounced that he was missing a passenger and would delay by a few minuets. Then over the frequency came the rather harsh response 'Have you checked the ovens?'

A little near the knuckle but hey guys don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

The Korean Air story is a little strange and I expect that it has been added to over time. In short this is what happened; Korean Air Boeing 747 developes some rather tricky problems in some remote part of the world which leads the crew to start doubting the chances of a successful conclusion to the flight. Therefore in good old Korean Air style the cabin crew start handing out pieces of paper on which the passengers are to write their last will and testament.

Well what do you all think?

I have another (God I could go on for days) about a BA crew who on a night stop in Greece (I think) became rather agitated by their German companions in the hotel they were staying at leaving their towels out on the sun chairs at night. So in an act of defiance that would of have made those who took part in the great escape proud, the BA crew decided to hit back. Yes folks, late at night when all the Germans were in bed dreaming of all things German, the BA crew snuck downstairs to re-arange the Germans towels......in to a large swastika by the pool. I believe that the Germans lived up to their usual reputation of having no sense of humour after this little incident.

DHC Twin
21st Jan 2001, 08:25
He He He!mmmmmmmmm!!!!eeeerrrrrr.He He He!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!