PDA

View Full Version : What are twin hours really worth?

buttline
7th Jul 2002, 19:44
Easyjet factor s/e time as 0.3 and twin time as 0.7 for the purposes of direct entry.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/jobs/pilotrecruitment_ourcurrentrequirments.html

This appears (in fact, states quite clearly) that an hour in a twin is worth more than twice as much (to Easyjet) as an hour in a single? Would you guys say that's about right? If so, does this apply only to Direct Entry or to fATPL entry also?

Specifically, does this mean someone with 300 hrs twin time is on par with someone with 700 hrs single time in terms of airline employability?

gorky
7th Jul 2002, 20:33
if you have single turbine, it s not so bad too.
more you have ,better it is, and biger is better too.It's like the woman:D

Pilot Pete
7th Jul 2002, 20:44
Very generally speaking I would suggest that the chances are most pilots flying twins would be flying IFR, closer to what you would do with an airline. The aircraft are more complex and require more skills to qualify to fly, again, one step closer to airline flying. They have two engines which require another skillset to fly, again closer to an airline operation. They fly faster (generally) than the average single and therefore necessitate a greater mental capacity to fly, one step closer to the airline operation.

So, it's only natural, and realistic to put greater value on these flying hours as far as an airline employer is concerned. How much value to put on them is a mute point. If someone has 700hrs single the majority of which was built flying A to A VFR and another pilot has 700hrs of which 300 is twin IFR A to B I would suggest that his 300 twin are worth a lot more than double his single hours. If airlines view it the same it's because experience has shown them that the more experienced (in terms of quality) represents less of a training 'risk' (read 'cost').

PP

edited to agree with Gorky's comments re-turbine singles.

worzel
7th Jul 2002, 22:20
We all know that an hour flying IFR in a twin is a lot more beneficial than an hour flying VFR along the coast in a single ( ignoring turbines). In my opinion Easyjet have got the right idea, however unfortunately I dont think that all operators see it this way. Having been looking for that illusive first job for a while now it seems to me that all employers are interested in is numbers. If one applicant has got 700 hours and another 300, the quality of those hours doesn't seem to matter 700 will get you the interview, 300 the sorry letter.

A and C
8th Jul 2002, 09:22
easyjet seem to want to factor flying time for reasons that are stated in posts above but what i cant understand is that i,m told that they also factor NG737 hours by 0.9.

Would some of you like to speculate on the reason for that.

emu
8th Jul 2002, 10:13
Possibly because its non EFIS.

A and C
8th Jul 2002, 15:00
All the new 737,s that easyjet are getting are NG737,s and the aircraft is EFIS equiped.

emu
8th Jul 2002, 17:17
My mistake - getting my 100/200s and NGs mixed up.

The 0.9 factor you refer to seems to apply to time when operating short haul with another airline (the NG is not singled out). This applies only to direct entry command as far as I can see.