PDA

View Full Version : licencing...sad state

italian stallion
13th Jan 2017, 14:28
I feel I need to voice my opinion regarding EASA, ICAO or FAA licenses...
What prompted me to write this is that I have just seen an advert for 737 captains with expired ratings to be based in Stockholm, Sweden.
How sad and pathetic and desperate you need to be to want to attract expired EASA captains when there are current ICAO captains?
Is there really such a difference in licencing? If an ICAO captain has the time and experience why then would he need to do all 14 exams?
The same applies with China and Japan, the fact that EASA or ICAO ATPL pilot must do a full Chinese /Japanese licence and take months and months away from home in order to discuss it is ridiculous. ...
I see many operators parking aircraft soon because they won't have enough crew and hopefully change the licencing requirements.

joe falchetto 64
13th Jan 2017, 15:47
Buddy, I cannot fly an N - registered aircraft without a FAA ATP; in the same way, if you want to fli an EU registered aircraft, welcome to EASA licensig. The same applies to CAAC and JCAB ( I have a CAAC ATP).

FlyingStone
13th Jan 2017, 16:17
These are the rules that have their roots in protectionism of the markets. It wouldn't be fair from EASA to dump this rule, allowing influx of other pilots on European market, when somebody with EASA licence has to go through the same process if he wants to fly N-reg aircraft.

Don't remember that licence itself is not enough. And vast majority of EASA licence holders also hold an EU passport. Same goes for FAA licence holders - most of them are US nationals.

Don't see airlines parking aircraft because of this. It has been like this since forever and it most likely won't change.

Cliff Secord
13th Jan 2017, 18:11
Why limit it to licensing. If a European based pilot wants to take his experience to America it's nigh on impossible being classed as an Alien (a what you say?) and still jump through the FAA stuff. Let's not convieniently forget that in typical lefty euro, bow to the US fashion US licensed pilots have been successfully based and flying ex Paris before for FedEx yet could you see that being allowed in the US with Euro licensed pilots?

italian stallion
14th Jan 2017, 10:21
Joe what I'm saying is do you think it's fair that you have to do a full FAA ATPL just to fly an N registered aircraft? What's wrong with doing just Air law for that country/license and maybe human performance...provided you meet the requirements to live and work in the US (green card)
Does flying experience not count for anything?
Surely if one has 1000's of hours on Boeing or Airbus why do you need to write aircraft technical for instance, I'm quite sure a CFM56 rotates in exactly the same direction in the US as it does in the EU as it does in the Far East?

CXKA
14th Jan 2017, 11:01
Yes its fair since if you did a full FAA ATP examination suite and fly N reg, then if you want to fly a EU registered aircraft you do the EASA exams and conversion! As someone that had a full HK ATPL and wanted to fly in EU I had to do the EASA exams and accepted that regardless of the 1000's of hours I have on wide body aircraft. It is well known some authorities have easier exams than others so it would just be easier to do them and then convert to EASA etc.

Gerifalte
14th Jan 2017, 12:32
Technically there's no great difference between EASA, FAA or any other country's APTL. Perhaps AirLaw and Flight Time Limitations one can find the most differences.
One should not require to take the full package of exams.
Politically the issue takes it to a level where protectionism comes into play, requiring us to take the full package.
Fair or not these are the rules most countries follow.
But hey, even within EASA countries one has to change its EASA licence to a EASA issued licence of the country you're flying in.
A UK EASA licence is not quite the same as a German EASA licence.
So, maybe EASA should start by resolving this within EASA countries and then who knows, things could become easier.

FlyingStone
14th Jan 2017, 14:00
But hey, even within EASA countries one has to change its EASA licence to a EASA issued licence of the country you're flying in.

No authority in EASA land can demand that. You can fly any EU- registeed aircraft on any EASA licence.

Companies on the other hand......

Jonnyknoxville
18th Jan 2017, 17:42
Having said all of that , I see that norwegien are looking to employ 737 pilots to fly their Max aircraft based in the USA . The ad states that they will get a 2 year waiver to get their EASA licence in order . So in essence , EI registered aircraft , a norwegian company , employing FAA pilots to fly them . it'll be a nice little stopgap for these FAA pilots , I can't see many of them staying on after 2 years , but hey , maybe thats the plan from Norwegien in the first place