PDA

View Full Version : Rolling a big bottle over the wing for de-icing purposes?

luchtzak
10th Jan 2017, 17:30
I have a little movie about 2 Turkish Airlines guys rolling a bottle of water over the wings (snow at Istanbul all week), the guy who uploaded on twitter says that it's "Turkish Airlines high-tech de-icing procedure". Is this movie genuine or not ? And if not what are they doing else ?

Turkish Airlines' way of de-icing aircraft ? - Luchtzak.be (http://www.luchtzak.be/miscellaneous/strange/turkish-airlines-way-de-icing-aircraft/)

(note to moderator: sorry didn't know where to post ;-) )

lomapaseo
10th Jan 2017, 17:36
Technical discussion?

Depends on what they were checking for.

Would it have been clear ice? and were they looking to see if the bottle bounced while rolling? They did appear to be centering it above the cold soaked fuel areas ??

freshgasflow
10th Jan 2017, 17:43
very strange and i suppose potentially damaging.
I water bottle has quite a lot of inertia and possible could dent the fuselage.

Of course de icing itself would not be effective.

Was there purpose to spread a little bit of warm fluid over the wing as it rolled ?

EDLB
10th Jan 2017, 17:44
Looks more like a new low cost method to distribute deicing fluid. Why bother with a truck with manipulators, pumps and nozzles.
Short of the dent in the hull when the bottle stopped they had the bottle good aligned for its roll.

ATC Watcher
10th Jan 2017, 17:47
Does not look like de-icing fluid , maybe a cleaning product or just plain water , but de-icing it is not . Only the title of the Tweet refer to de-cing, maybe it was just cleaners making a joke. :rolleyes:

Piltdown Man
10th Jan 2017, 17:47
Why were they de-icing? The wings look clean to me. Something else was happening. I just wonder what.

PM

RevMan2
10th Jan 2017, 18:03
Given the white stuff in the background of the images and the workers' warm clothing, I imagine that it's a de-icing attempt [sic]...

172_driver
10th Jan 2017, 18:06
Doesn't the aileron appears to have some snow on it? His idea might work in theory, but to position the bottle to pour over the aileron proved harder than expected.

stator vane
10th Jan 2017, 19:11
We usually get one of the cabin crew to walk barefoot over the wing. If she doesn't slide off the wing, then we're good to go! ;)

Herod
10th Jan 2017, 19:12
Delivering late catering?

Skyjob
10th Jan 2017, 19:49
Topping up hydraulics...

3db
10th Jan 2017, 20:13
De-icing my foot! They are trying to quickly cool the water for the Raki for the pre-flight drink. Notice they complied with regs and did not walk on the wings! OK, I'll get my hat and coat! Alan currently from Istanbul.

fox niner
10th Jan 2017, 20:53
They are applying ice to the cold soaked wing. Just to be sure.

bullfox
10th Jan 2017, 21:17
They were trying to wash the snow off the aleron and the bottle got away from them.

Infieldg
10th Jan 2017, 22:46
I guess if there was clear ice on the wing the water bottle would have slid off instead of staying straight and (hopefully) being stopped by someone braver than me :)