PDA

View Full Version : class 1 medical certificate

bertos70
9th Jan 2017, 14:22
Hello guys. I just have a question. I have to do the FAA atp in the States and they asked me to do the medical again. I have a class 1 Swiss medical certificate. Can I ask you what they test on blood exames? Last time my cholesterol was a bit high and my white cell too(toothache). Do they test that in the states on the first issue?

Rotorhead1026
9th Jan 2017, 14:50
No blood test, normally, unless the doc finds something - or you tell him/her something - that would indicate a requirement. FAA does require a urinalysis, but it's screened for DM only, AFAIK.

Don't withhold any info, though; the consequences can be draconian.

If you're doing you're ATP in the sim only, a US medical may not be required. Who is "they"?

bertos70
9th Jan 2017, 15:18
yep sorry...with "they" I was refering to us doctors" :)....in Italy the medical examination is done in military centres so they check even if you have a small cut on your finger. I'm pretty fit but sometimes I have the tendency to eat a lot of cheese and ham, so my cholesterol is just over 200. When I did it in Switzerland (after 1 month of diet) I was good...but you never know. That is why I was asking about the blood test (the urine test was always ok). I need to know if I have to stay on diet from today. Once I'm there, if I dont pass the medical the company may fire me...ps. so you conferm no blood test? I'm doing the SE ATP in a small aircraft, so for sure I need at least a class 2. Today I spoke half an hour with a lady working in the us licence validation department but I still didnt get which kind of medical certificate I need. I wont be working in the States but in Europe with us register aircrafts (no passengers carrying but still commercial operations), but I honestly dont know which class of certificate I need

Rotorhead1026
9th Jan 2017, 15:27
Again, the blood is not normally checked on FAA medicals, unless you have some "interesting" condition or history. From your post it would seem your employer - and your employment - is requiring the exam.

bertos70
9th Jan 2017, 16:10
not at all....why should they? I just asked an info. Thanks for that

MarkerInbound
9th Jan 2017, 18:33
As Rotorhead said, if you're doing a checkride in a sim, you don't need a medical. If you are doing the ride in an aircraft you only need a third class. The basic standards are found in Part 65. There's a bit more explanation here https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

The only two cardiovascular items are pulse and blood pressure. From my non-medical reading of the standards it appears you are required to have a pulse. And blood pressure at or above 155 over 95 will be an issue. In addition if you are using medications to induce a pulse or keep the blood pressure below 155/95 there will be follow up questions or testing.

zondaracer
9th Jan 2017, 23:41
Go see Doctor Peter Orton in Stansted. He is located at the airport. He can do an FAA class 1.

The FAA medical is way easier than the EASA one.

bertos70
10th Jan 2017, 08:38
Thanks for the info guys. I'll do my ATP in Memphis....any doctor over there? You have to book well in advance or you just need few days of notice?

HEMS driver
12th Jan 2017, 19:44
When I get a 1st class I am in and out of the docs office usually in 13-16 minutes. The urine check is for diabetes and is done in the same office. Aviation medical examiners do not order up blood lab work. That would be done by your personal doc.

MarkerInbound
12th Jan 2017, 21:07
I'll do my ATP in Memphis..any doctor over there? You have to book well in advance or you just need few days of notice?

You would have to call the doctor's office. Germantown is a Memphis suburb, you could check with the doctors listed there too.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/media/aso_part_2.pdf

HEMS driver
12th Jan 2017, 21:50
There are also a few doctors in Italy who are authorized to issue FAA medical certificates.

There used to be more, but now there are only two in Italy:

FREILICH, WILLIAM, AMERICAN-INTL MED CTR, VIA MERCALLI #11, MILANO, +39258319808

VAN DOORNE, DOMINIQUE, 26A PIAZZA STEFANO JACINI, ROMA, +3906329076

bertos70
13th Jan 2017, 16:03
Thanks for the advice guys, but I spoke with the us department for licence verification and they told that the FAA medical MUST be done there....no in any other country even if there are authorized doctors outside the States...the reason? I dont know :)

HEMS driver
13th Jan 2017, 16:10
I don't know either. Buona fortuna.

havick
13th Jan 2017, 17:28
Thanks for the advice guys, but I spoke with the us department for licence verification and they told that the FAA medical MUST be done there....no in any other country even if there are authorized doctors outside the States...the reason? I dont know

Seems weird to me. I did my FAA Class 1 medical in Australia and then did my FAA ATP helicopter flight test when I came over a few months later and had no problems.

HEMS driver
13th Jan 2017, 18:15
I wonder if he was either given incorrect information or he misunderstood? I flew for an American air carrier based in Italy for seven years, which required a 1st Class, which I obtained from an FAA authorized AME in Rome.

3 holer poler
12th Nov 2020, 12:49
Hi

Has anyone done an FAA medical at Stansted airport ? If so what does it entail and what does the check consist of ?

MarkerInbound
12th Nov 2020, 21:25
The standards are listed in FAR part 67. It’s more a medical history than an exam. Main thing is if you’re 35 or older going for a first class there’ll be an EKG.