PDA

View Full Version : IFR computer based training aids

Crosswind Limits
7th Jul 2002, 15:40
Can anyone please recommend an IFR trainer which is suitable for a home computer and which isn't too expensive? I have Rant but I want something that will allow me to actually fly the procedures.

Cheers.

goldwing
7th Jul 2002, 17:11
You could always try Microsoft flight sim but it is not very useful when you are looking for serious sims. The one I use is Elite version 7.0. I am not sure of what support they have for England but their web site is www.flyelite.com/index2.html. It is more costly than flight sim but it is not a game.

Hope this helps
Richard

worzel
7th Jul 2002, 21:54
I think for the money (and entertainment value) you cant beat Microsoft Flight Sim. Get some approach plates off the NATS webside and off you go. It certainly helped me through my IR.

Pub User
8th Jul 2002, 19:58
I agree with worzel. I found MS flight sim very good to practice procedures before my IRT. i confees I've never used any other software except RANT, but I can't imagine what it could offer that MS Sim' doesn't.

FWA NATCA
8th Jul 2002, 21:24
Crosswind,

Microsoft Flight Sim 2000 Pro is pretty good, the only complaint that I have is that it vectors you off your filed route too early, so to compensate I recommend that you utilize your charts and simulate vectoring yourself.

Mike
FWA

Spamcan defender
9th Jul 2002, 07:33
Hi Guys,
For a while now, I've been using both RANT 3 and MS Flight Sim 2002Pro to help me refine my instrument procedures. Each piece of software has its own merits but I reckon you cant beat taking the Baron on a little trip in crap weather and getting it down on the tarmac using the panel only. Sounds daft but the feeling is fantastic (OK, call me an anorak :D ). Also use FS2002(with graphics cranked right up) to practise my VFR flying!. It really is an amazing piece of software. Dont rule out RANT 3 or 2000 as both offer the chance to practise on a combination of panel layouts which is great if your flying club has aircraft with vastly differing nav fits.
As they say, the choice is yours......:p :p

Kapooley
9th Jul 2002, 08:00
I heard that MS Flight Sim 2002's UK scenery isnt up to much? Any truth in this?

I've got MS Flight sim 98, how does that compare with the 2002 version? Worth the money?

Canada Goose
9th Jul 2002, 14:34
Crosswind,

As you're probably getting the drift already, Microsoft FS 2002 is pretty darn good though I do have some issues with it that I shall touch on in a few moments. If you are going to get (and I recommend it) you should spend that little extra and get the Professional Edition. The Pro edition has many other features above the standard FS 2002, the main one being the flight analysis feature that will show you in your vertical and horizontal flight path, as well as all the radio nav aids and airports. Thus you can play back after the flight and see how well you intercepted a radial or held a track on an NDB, not to mention shoot an ILS. The Pro also has other a/c such as a 747, Mooney and a few other things which I believe the standard edition doesn’t.

O.K., now for the issues ……… the Baron is great, but … it doesn’t simulate the behaviour of a real Baron (or at least not as well as the Stimulator at my Flying Club > http://www.flyelite.com/). I have been taught the required procedures to fly the Baron (the Duchess which I really fly behaves the same for intent and purposes). For final approach, chop the power to 15”, drop the gear below Vle and maintain altitude until you reach an KIAS of 110, then profile your descent to FAF, MDA etc. Unfortunately if you chop the power to 15 on the FS2002 Baron, you’ll never descend or bleed off airspeed. As, you’ve pretty much got to idle and use flaps when rwy in sight. Other beefs include no proper VOR2 (now I know someone is going to tell me you can ad these features on afterwards, but hey .. I’m no techie anorak !!) not to mention a stopwatch. That aside it’s an excellent piece of s/w for the money (and was heard telling wife “They're not charging enough for this”, but ssshhh don’t tell anyone ! …It has.over 50,000 airports from around the world in it …….. some for example from the back of beyond here in Canada !!) …….. and the s/w will pay for itself in terms of getting your head around IFR stuff …. Plus when you get bored you can take the Extra out for some aerobatics ;-), that said, it is truly awesome to pop out form under the virtual cloud at minimums and see the runway in sight after having flown in soup for the last 20 minutes ( a bit more stressful doing it for real mind you ……. ;-))

Worzel,

Do you have the link for getting the approach plates of the NATS website … I had a butchers and couldn’t find anything !!? Thanks.

Cheers.
C.G.
(Who has no affiliation or conflict of interest with Microsoft)

P.S. If you do get it you may want to get the MS Sidewinder II joystick as well !!