PDA

View Full Version : Giving up is n't easy to do !

trekker
7th Jul 2002, 15:37
Four years ago I after much frustration and facing all the usual financial woes I gave up on my dream of becoming a pilot and went to work in reasonably paid job in London. I had become so disillusioned with flying that I had not flown for 3 years.

Anway, I am now beginning to wonder what the hell I've done and how I could have thrown it all away after so much hard work, time and money !

I am at least now out of debt, so I'm now thinking of revalidating my licence (I have a CPL/Frz ATPL and 400 hrs) and maybe getting an instuctors rating.

I am 34 now and wonder whether I have completely blown my chances ? Just wondering whether there's anyone else out there who has faced similar circumstances and has made it 2nd time round ?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Trekker :rolleyes:

Piper Warrior Pilot
7th Jul 2002, 17:31
If im not mistaken, youve got enough hours to apply to an airline.

If im right, you could have a change of career.

Im just starting my PPL. I cannot bare the thought of giving up although it is in the back of my mind. By this i mean, in a few years time i hope i dont have a change of attitude and through it all away.

I can understand you frustration. This is one hell of a competitive industry we're in. But we're all in the same boat, maybe someone else can shed some light on this thread.

Cheers

Piper Warrior Pilot

Aviation is a great way to make a small fortune, as long as you start off with a large fortune

gorky
7th Jul 2002, 20:42
trekker, I am around 33-34 too, with 2000h and commercial experience, I can say I arrived to this cuz I did nt start a JAR training but a FAA training( thanks god, I did nt do a mistake).
Do not give up, just spend some money everyyear.do your CPL FAA , CFI FAA and go work in the USA to log time.Once you have the hours, you will get a job back in europe.find a way to leave the low time pilot basket.
the JAA training sucks your pockets before you really knowwhat to be a professional pilot means!!
FAA FAA FAA

biped
7th Jul 2002, 21:25
Gorky. What's wrong? You seem unhappy. Tell me all about it darling.

trekker
8th Jul 2002, 14:05
Gorky

Thanks for your words. I did infact go to the US to gain an FAA CPL, but then came back and converted rather than instruct. Were you working on a J1 visa over there ? If I could get a visa I'd be back there tomorrow.

Piper Warrior Pilot

Yes, I could apply to the Airlines but not wanting to sound pessimistic there any many pilots around with many more hours than me.

Cheers

Trekker