PDA

View Full Version : Could this affect me in the future?

Richy_737
6th Jan 2017, 22:08
Hi everyone, I've been taking lessons towards my PPL for a few months now, I've only managed to do around 8 hours due to work.

Work is not as busy now for the next month or two, so I'm going to try and build as many hours as I'm able to or if possible complete my PPL.

My current instructor will be leaving at the end of February so it might not be possible to complete my PPL with the instructor I'm currently doing my lessons with by the time he leaves, would this be a problem in the future as my long term goal is to fly commercially so I'm concerend chenging instructors will affect my chances, or would this not be a problem?

I would appreciate any input

tech log
6th Jan 2017, 22:31
It will make absolutely no difference. If you get a new instructor you don't click with as well as the old one, drop them and get another one.

They all have an FI qualification they all flew the same skills test for.

Why do you think it would affect your chances to get a commercial job?

Richy_737
7th Jan 2017, 08:08
I was told by somebody that airlines don't like applicants to have more than 2 and that it's best to complete it with he same instructor.

I'm not sure what to do for the best, should I stick with my current instructor if I don't think I'll finish with him or change now as I've only done 8 hours?

Thanks for your reply!

Alex Whittingham
7th Jan 2017, 08:38
Never heard that before, it sounds like it was made up by someone. The most important thing is that you get good instruction, one of the elements of that would be consistency but it is quite normal for people to have several instructors.

Richy_737
7th Jan 2017, 08:44
That's a relief, I will be flying consitantly as soon as I start my lessons which will hopefully be next week sometime.

tech log
7th Jan 2017, 12:47
That's been made up mate.

I've had well over 10 instructors because of scheduling and them leaving for airlines. Not been a problem.

Consistency is good though but honestly airlines don't care. All they care about is first time/series CPL and IR skills tests.

Unless they ask to physically see your logbook they wouldn't even know either.

Richy_737
8th Jan 2017, 10:44
I feel better now this has been cleared up, thank you all for your replies!

I will need somewhere to build my hours, I haven't looked into training post PPL yet, is there any recommendations you could give me?

Thanks again

HeartyMeatballs
8th Jan 2017, 10:52
People will tell you all sorts of crazy things. It's usually tomget you to sign up to their product and hand cash over to them.

Before I got my first commercial job I'd estimate from start to finish I flew with around 15 instructors.

I started my MCC and that was with 2 instructors. Onto the TR and I had five different instructors. Onto line training and it was a new guy every day. A few years in I've never had the same instructor more than one sim trip. In fact it's a novelty for me to get the same guy on day one and two of recurrent sims.

When flying you're going to be with a differemt guy or gal every day. May as well get used to it from day one.

hobbit1983
8th Jan 2017, 14:32
No airline will care.

Piltdown Man
8th Jan 2017, 17:47
More importantly, with any luck you will find out that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Every instructor will have a different approach to the subject of flying and each will have different strength and weaknesses. Your job as a pupil is to acqure as many of their individual good points as you can. Furthermore as you progress you will have to get used to different instructors so you might as well start as you mean to go on. This is certainly nothing to worry about.

cefey
16th Jan 2017, 15:24
No one cares about it. At all. Dont worry.