PDA

View Full Version : Safest airline

Plane and simple
6th Jan 2017, 10:01
Emirates and Etihad are among the safest airlines in 2016 - Emirates 24|7 (http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/emirates-and-etihad-are-among-the-safest-airlines-in-2016-2017-01-06-1.645913)

Excuse me.......... WHAT???

Basil
6th Jan 2017, 12:39
Well, that pic at the top of the page looks to me like a real near miss ;)

ExXB
6th Jan 2017, 15:14
Nah, that was just an unscheduled hull retirement. Not safety related at all. And it was the weather, not the pilot.

noflynomore
6th Jan 2017, 16:17
Yet Easyjet and Ryanair who, in the last 20 years, have been operating up to 300 aeroplanes between them with each doing 6-8 sectors per day without even a significant damage incident don't feature? Neither do some of the US carriers of whom the same can be said.

Statistics, eh? All depends on who is trying to "prove" what!

DaveReidUK
6th Jan 2017, 16:28
"Jet Airliner Crash Data Evaluation Centre" says it all, really.

Reassuring to see that Emirates is 78 times safer than Saudia, for example, according to the "JACDEC Index"

vctenderness
6th Jan 2017, 16:32
Noflynomore: your post got me thinking and I cannot recall a single incident involving EasyJet or Ryanair in their whole operating history.

Have I missed anything?

planedrive
6th Jan 2017, 16:38
vctenderness: Depends what you call an incident. Ryanair have had one hull loss as far as I'm aware (Ryanair 4102) although that was about as good as could have happened given the situation. EasyJet have never had a hull loss but have had several high profile events - have a look on avherald!

thf
6th Jan 2017, 16:42
Noflynomore: your post got me thinking and I cannot recall a single incident involving EasyJet or Ryanair in their whole operating history.

Have I missed anything?
Well, some people in Dublin would be very happy if everybody would forget this:
Incident: Ryanair B738 at Memmingen on Sep 23rd 2012, descended below minimum safe height (http://avherald.com/h?article=459fa8f6)

Dannyboy39
6th Jan 2017, 16:43
Is that defined as an "incident" IAW ICAO Annex 13?

suninmyeyes
6th Jan 2017, 17:28
Noflynomore and VCtenderness

In 2008 a Ryanair 737 Ryanair had multiple bird strikes into Rome Ciampino and lost an engine on approach. They decided to do a goaround but the other engine failed and they ended up crashing onto the runway resulting in a hull loss. Three aircraft had double engine failures in a 3 year span. You are probably aware of the other two.

thf
6th Jan 2017, 17:29
Is that defined as an "incident" IAW ICAO Annex 13?
The BFU called this a "serious incident" (See Interim Report, page 1 (http://www.bfu-web.de/EN/Publications/Interim_Reports/IR2012/I1_Report_12_EX002_B737_Memmingen.pdf?__blob=publicationFile ))

At 1639:44 hrs1 during the approach to runway 24 of Memmingen Airport about 4 Nautical Miles prior to the runway threshold a Boeing 737-800 (B737) passenger airplane approximated the ground. According to the radio altimeter the lowest altitude was 450ft above ground. The Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System (EGPWS) generated a warning and the crew conducted a missed approach procedure.

readywhenreaching
6th Jan 2017, 18:19
Emirates and EVA dropped quite a bit compared to 2016.
And serious incidents did also count.

A320.b744
6th Jan 2017, 19:09
I think they include any type of incident, no matter how minor, in order to calculate the final figures. Anything from cabin pressure loss to a full scale crash would be taken into account.

Sober Lark
6th Jan 2017, 19:09
Can we agree the elimination of risk in aviation just isn't possible and that some operators are more open than others. Perhaps cultural differences of safety occurrence reporting and investigation play a part and in that respect I may trust operators in the EU or US over others.

If one of the major airlines in Europe were to suffer a loss, given the numbers of passengers carried, the number of sectors flown, I'd still continue to fly with them as the level of risk would still be acceptable.

PAXboy
6th Jan 2017, 19:33
Looking at the forn page of the 'Emirates 247' as linked above, if they are also reporting "Kim Kardashian West posts first selfie of 2017" ?? I rest my case.

EVERY airline will use these stats whichever way they can. It used to be that no airline mentioned safety (for various obvious reasons) but, now, the kids in marketing have got nothing left to shout about. All the usual things that you can use to promote the company [price/comfort/convenience/etc] have all been used up and, since no one reasearches the background to these numbers and ratings and what they might actually mean? Hey - just use them. After all, a house magazine is not really advertising? Just cheering up the troops?

DaveReidUK
6th Jan 2017, 20:22
I think they include any type of incident, no matter how minor, in order to calculate the final figures.

No, they don't.

About Safety Index » JACDEC (http://www.jacdec.de/about-safety-ranking/)

MKY661
6th Jan 2017, 22:06
I'm surprised Monarch hasn't been on this list, trading for nearly 49 Years and not a single accident, though I am aware they have a smaller fleet.

racedo
7th Jan 2017, 11:11
In 2008 a Ryanair 737 Ryanair had multiple bird strikes into Rome Ciampino and lost an engine on approach. They decided to do a goaround but the other engine failed and they ended up crashing onto the runway resulting in a hull loss.

We debated it extensively at the time on here and was no surprise that Ryanair made a very public award and thank you to the Pilots involved.
It was a superb piece of flying to get that aircraft on the ground intact after the bird strikes.
Don't think the accident report has ever been published for this.