PDA

View Full Version : Grants and Financial Aid

Helidan
16th Jan 2001, 10:50
Is there anyone that knows where to possibly get a grant or some kind of financial aid for helicopter flight school? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Final Destination
16th Jan 2001, 17:41
Helidan don't take my word for this but from what I heard in the past is that the HSBC bank are quite good for giving career development loans but like I say if this is not right I apologise.
Cheers FD :)

foghorn
16th Jan 2001, 19:43
Helidan,

If it's government aid and grants you're after, it's not worth the energy of thinking any further on the subject. The most energetic people who have tried to get money out of the government for flight training have ended up a with a whopping £150.

Governments of all political colours seem to be quite happy funding students for degrees in watching soap operas at Little Pimple-on-the-Bottom University (est. 2001), but show no interest in lightening the financial load on the professionals who will end up running our long-distance transport links. It's as if keeping people of the dole is more important than making sure our island state has the transport links that will make it keep its place as a world-beating centre of commerce.

The only bank that is at all helpful with things is the HSBC, but you need to be a customer in good standing with them, and have an understanding branch. It's worth giving them a try though, becuase they have come up with the goods for enough people now for us to think that there might be enlightened people in the banking world. Don't bother with the other banks though.

Sorry if I seem down about this, but welcome to the topsey-turvey world of self-sponsored flight training. See just how quickly you too become immune to figures with lots of zeros on the end :)

foghorn
16th Jan 2001, 19:48
Helidan,

Just seen in your profile that you're US-based, so my comments don't apply. I'll leave them on the thread in case there are any UK-based newbies out there who have similar questions.

best of luck with your search,
foggy

Helidan
18th Jan 2001, 11:07
Thanks for the info guys.

Good luck
Dan