PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Fairchild Dornier

TechRep
7th Jul 2002, 12:43
Hello Everyone,

This is my official first post on pprune. I work for Fairchild Dornier in San Antonio as a Technical Support Rep and thankfully I am still employed but for how long is uncertain. Currently the work force in San Antonio and Herdon Virgina is down from 700 employes too the current count of 100 employees. Recently the workforce in Oberphaffenhofen, Germany was downsized from approx. 3000 employees to 1000 employees. The financial troubles started immediatly after the 9/11 incident but this only escalated or sped up the financial woes of the company.

FD invested $1.5 Billion dollars into the Do728/928 program and orders were optimistic for this 4th generation 70/90 seater. We are now in serious trouble and on the verge of being split into sepearte parts. The company has the current Do328 program with about 203 current frames in use by customers such as Atlantic Coast Airlines, PSA, AWAC, Skyways, Great Plains airlines. We also have the Airbus component line which makes major sub-sections for the Airbus A32X which is about 15% of our total load. The Do728 was to be the frame that launched the company into the future, for those not familiar with the frame goto my web page and view some great photos of the aircraft.

<http://imageevent.com/techrep/fairchilddornieraircraftphotos;jsessionid=x3utjcuhf1>

We are being told at this time if there is no investor showing due diligance or willing to put up money by the end of July 2002 there will be further layoffs. Currently there are 7 investors interested in the 328 program with 3 investors interested in continuing production. major Players include EADS, Nestle/Dornier Family, Dimeling investment group (Group that bailed out Piper).

The 728 program was being considered by Bombardier but was dropped for two apparent rumors. Rumor one was risk partners (vendors) refused to give 20% price reduction on compaonents and Rumor two was CRJ700 airlines were concerned it would impact CRJ700 prices negatively. Currently Alenia, part of EADS, is showing Due Diligance in the 728 program and has finsihed a program assesment. There is questions if they can afford the need $1 Billion additional dollars needed to complete the project and achieve first flight and delivery.

TechRep
www.imageevent.com/techrep

TechRep
7th Jul 2002, 12:46
Here is the correct Do728 link.

<http://imageevent.com/techrep/fairchilddornieraircraftphotos>

TechRep
www.imageevent.com/techrep

Kalium Chloride
7th Jul 2002, 16:49
Welcome to PPRune, TechRep...I wish the circumstances were a little less unappealing.

Don't know which side of the business you're with, but the 328jet programme looks to have a potentially bright future -- and, if the 328 prog is sold, then the tech support will probably be tied in with it.

Likewise the maintenance and components side of FD will probably be snapped up because they're strong businesses.

Chin up...

Lavdumperer
8th Jul 2002, 13:19
Techrep,

Very sorry to hear about your circumstance. I was, and still am, a big fan of the Dornier series of jets. Watching ACA D328Jets take off "like a bat out of hell" is always a good time. I have always loved both the D328P and the D328Jet - beautiful aircraft!

I was especially interested in some day watching Lufthansa Cityline 728 jets fly into and out of London City - that would be interesting.

I hope things can eventually be resolved and production can go forward. What is Lufthansa Cityline's opinion at the moment - are they still supportive? They should be...

Cheers

VnV2178B
8th Jul 2002, 15:07
TechRep,

I would also like to welcome you to Pprune, I read with interest your postings on Airliners.net and hope that the situation resolves in your favour.

I was at the rollout for the 728 in Oberpfaff. and think it's a beautiful plane. It is just so galling that having put so much investment into the projects the finaciers pulled the plug when they did. And I am not just saying that a sour grapes as I lost my job in the first round of cuts I still think the plane could be a competitor if the advanced prodution facility can make it cheaply enough.

VnV...

TechRep
11th Jul 2002, 09:30
I believe the end is near. After recent meetings it seems apparent this company is not in a position to bring in enough money to support itself. I think negotiations are going too slow to save this bleeding carcass from certain death. After all is said and done the vultures will move in and collect the carcass, I think firm investment is a long time away. No company seems willing to show any real due dilligance and the companies that are willing too are not financialy in a position to do so.

TechRep

411A
11th Jul 2002, 11:56
TechRep

You don't suppose that the aeroplane and its production facilities were rather "gold plated" just a tad?:rolleyes:
The airline business today is very much "bottom line" oriented, and suspect that Boeing is just about to find this out with their Sonic Cruiser design.
F/D has found out already.

ArcticCircle
11th Jul 2002, 12:38
There is an article in Flight International 9-15 July 2002 - EADS to fight Alenia on 728/928. Explains to a certain extent what is going on.

VnV2178B
11th Jul 2002, 13:27
411A,

that's why I added 'cheaply enough...' to my post.

You are right, cost is all important and F-D have invested a lot in the infrastructure. The problem is that Germany is a high labour cost area, unfortunately probably too high, so that no matter how much automation you put into the final build the supply chain cost will still be there.

Anyone know how much F-D owe to their suppliers ?

VnV...

newswatcher
12th Jul 2002, 13:53
Story in Aviation Daily(11/7):

"Lufthansa cancelled its order for 60 Fairchild Dornier 728 regional jets, making it likely that the program will not survive. The airline confirmed to AviationNow.com affiliate Aviation Daily on Thursday that it has formally stepped back from the order, which would have been the largest for the 728. Fairchild Dornier declined comment.

The decision came as Alenia Aeronautica continues to evaluate a bid for the 70-90 seater program. The Italian company told Fairchild Dornier it would announce a preliminary decision by the end of next week.

Alenia would have to take over the 728/928 with virtually no launch customers; essentially only small orders from CSA Czech Airlines and Bavaria Leasing remain. Insolvency administrator Eberhard Braun, however, said even orders still on the books would have to be renegotiated by the new owner."