PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

Multi Phil
16th Jan 2001, 00:01
Dear All,
I appear to be in a bit of a dilemma. I'm 22 have a PPL 100hrs tt, I've applied to lots of sponsorship schemes and not really got anywhere. So I approached the bank for a loan to look at doing a self-funded frzn ATPL course, the bank could give some finance but not enough to complete an ATPL and also they wanted guarantees of a job at the end. So the question is what do I do? Some of my friends in the industry have recommended a join as Cabin Crew so that I'm in the industry and perhaps then try the sponsorship route again, as I'm only 22.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

CAT3C AUTOLAND
16th Jan 2001, 00:42
Ummmm......difficult one Phil. Personally I would not join an airline as cabin crew, I am not sure it would help you anyway (anyone any experience with this?)

You do have one thing on your side, your age. I was in the same situation as you after graduating Uni, but I chose to go on a saving mission, and after 3 years I am finially over the finish line :). Why not save some cash and get a small loan? Just an idea?

A little discipline and patience could pay off my friend?

Lucifer
16th Jan 2001, 01:29
Have you gone for the government-backed career development loan? You may find that it gives you more than purely a bank loan, and on better terms.

Mr Benn
16th Jan 2001, 02:25
Get yourself 3 jobs, work your butt off, and do the modular route, paying for it yourself. If you really want to do it you will. I know, I did.

jollygreengiant
16th Jan 2001, 19:31
CAT3C - How the hell did you save up enough for an ATPL in 3 years?

Multi Phil - Keep applying for sponsorships until you are too old to apply (although I'm only sure that BA have a maximum age) and save up as much as you can while doing it. If you can't get a sponsorship by the time you're 26/27 you should have plenty of cash to spend on training or if you get a sponsorship you'll have plenty of cash to spend.

[This message has been edited by jollygreengiant (edited 16 January 2001).]

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Jan 2001, 01:41
Phil, there is some good advice being given out here.

Jolly Green Giant - I was fortunate enough to still be living at home while saving, my only out-goings being rent to be dear old Mother. I was on fairly good money for a single guy, therefore I saved the majority of my wages each month, which accumilated over the 3 year period. Bish bash bosh, job done! :) It took a while, but got there in the end.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Jan 2001, 01:50
Phil, there is some good advice being given out here.

Jolly Green Giant - I was fortunate enough to still be living at home while saving, my only out-goings being rent to be dear old Mother. I was on fairly good money for a single guy, therefore I saved the majority of my wages each month, which accumilated over the 3 year period. Bish bash bosh, job done! :) It took a while, but got there in the end.

OOPS I POSTED THIS TWICE!! :)

[This message has been edited by CAT3C AUTOLAND (edited 16 January 2001).]

SEAGULL09
17th Jan 2001, 05:32
Phil,I worked as cabin crew for Britannia for three years and am now self sponsoring myself. The good ship Britannia have an EXCELLENT flying club at the bigger bases with FANTASTIC rates on their aircraft..£60 approx per hour for a fully IFR Pa28 for staff..I would certainly recommend trying for cabin crew..Even if it is to build your hours up..Also you get a lot of time on your hands..Convenient to perhaps do the distance learning for the ATPL??..Best of luck matey

Lucifer
17th Jan 2001, 14:39
What is your situation? Are you a graduate? If so, you could apply for a high-paid graduate job for a year or two, negating the need for a loan so big. It's not something I would do, but cabin crew may work for you in BA etc.

jollygreengiant
17th Jan 2001, 14:57
Every time I've been down to BA there have been cabin crew doing the tests, but the one's I spoke to did not think it would help them. But at least they were at the apptitudes.

CAT3C - I'm more than a little envious.

AYLGR
17th Jan 2001, 19:11
Forget the cabin crew route. Being in an airline in this aspect has nothing to do with flying as a pilot. Better hold down some other job firmly based on the ground where you can skive enough to get that licence. If you fly as a hostie, goodness knows, you might even up hating the job!

Bob

damiank78
18th Jan 2001, 10:07
Im with Autoland, work hard save hard go hard. All power to the self funded pilot good luck and keep your head up because looking into the face of adversity can be difficult sometimes. Im 22 have my CPL and am looking for work in Australia while studying to sit my ATLP theory units.
PS My credit card is glowing red but im happier than a pig in **** and I dont even have a flying job yet.
(It will come soon I can feel it!!!)
[email protected]