PDA

View Full Version : Schweinfurt / Regensburg - 1943

Hussar 54
30th Dec 2016, 19:56
About 35 years ago, I borrowed a book 100% dedicated to describing the famous Schweinfurt / Regensburg mission of 1943 when USAF bombers continued on South to eventually land in Nth Africa

Does anyone know the title(s) of this or any other books about this particular mission ?

As always, Many Thanks in advance....

Arthur Bellcrank
30th Dec 2016, 20:12
The Schweinfurt-Regensburg Mission by Martin Middlebrook.

ISBN 0-304-35344-2 published by Cassel Military Paperbacks.

Hussar 54
1st Jan 2017, 11:39
Much appreciated....Thanks.

Fareastdriver
1st Jan 2017, 14:46
Another book is 'The Fall of Fortresses' by Elmer Bendiner.

compton3bravo
2nd Jan 2017, 10:15
You might try Martin Boorman, oops sorry Bowman who has written several books on the US Eighth Air Force.

Arthur Bellcrank
2nd Jan 2017, 10:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCMTuuTfDg

This has some good footage

Pittsextra
4th Jan 2017, 20:28
Re: similar does anyone have any update on the Spielberg/Hanks "Mighty Eighth" mini-series?

MightyGem
29th Jan 2017, 21:55
New Spielberg, Hanks WWII Series Coming To HBO (http://710keel.com/new-spielberg-hanks-wwii-series-coming-to-hbo-video/)

Mr Mac
30th Jan 2017, 12:01
Mighty Gem
Having watched that preview I think I can say I will be giving that a miss. That was just too much CGI and too many B17 for 1942.
As for Kassel being the main assembly point for the then 3rd Reich I had to sadly laugh a little. Kassel was indeed an engineering centre making locomotive's and Feisler Storche s amongst other things, but as for being the main assembly in Germany that is stretching the point.

The reason I am aware of this is that my late father was shot down while in the RAF on the 3/10/43 over Kassel, and as I took him back there in 3/10/2003, so did my homework so to speak.

I think Memphis Bell is a better film on the 8th AF, and even that is a little too Hollywood.

It is a pity that nobody ever made a film of the Len Deighton book Bomber, which knits together the tales of an RAF bomber station/ German night fighter station and of course the tales of those who were to be bombed. A very well researched and accurate tale of the period according to my late father. I believe David Putnam tried to make it, but could not get the finance, or something like that.

Regards
Mr Mac

Downwind.Maddl-Land
30th Jan 2017, 19:52
Mr Mac - concur entirely. :ok: A MUCH better proposition than a re-work of the Dambusters.

Mr Mac
31st Jan 2017, 17:20
Downwind. Madl-Land
Right we only need a £100m + and we are on for an Oscar! I have my £1 investment which means we just need the balance, and we are are sorted. If only it was that simple, sadly I do not think it will ever be made.

I think your comment on the Dambuster remake is also correct, why re hash something which was done well the first time given the technology, and with Bomber you would not have the "Labrador name issue" overshadowing everything.

Here's to pipe dreams, but it is still a good book.

Regards
Mr Mac

Wander00
31st Jan 2017, 19:12
At least no dogs with embarrassing names......

Buster11
31st Jan 2017, 22:09
Mr. Mac. You may already know of the excellent BBC Radio 4 real time broadcast of Bomber quite a few years ago, but it's on YouTube in several parts starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6U0e5DUdNQ
Well worth a listen and still quite moving, with several inserts by people on both sides who took part in raids, in German night fighters or radar.

Mr Mac
1st Feb 2017, 15:54
Buster 11
I had no idea about that thank you for the post. I may give that ago on my slog down to Houston, as Hollywood does not seem to have anything I want to watch at the moment on the ICE / Kris.

Regard's
Mr Mac

albatross
1st Feb 2017, 17:19
American author Martin Caiden published a book called "Black Thursday" about the mission.

stevef
2nd Feb 2017, 17:18
American author Martin Caiden published a book called "Black Thursday" about the mission.

An excellent book although it makes grim reading. It was poignant that one of the surviving pilots of that raid (Keith Garrett?) was killed in a B52 crash whilst helping Caidin with his research.

Atcham Tower
3rd Feb 2017, 15:26
There is this too by Beirne Lay Jr who wrote '12 O'Clock High' and the screen
play for the film of the same name.

http://alliance.la.asu.edu/consortium/GCU113Web/113Readings/WWII_Quiz_Regensburgraid.pdf

Mr Mac
15th Feb 2017, 12:15
Buster 11
Just got back this morning from Lone Star state and really enjoyed listening to the audio reading of Bomber on flight. Also found out that BBC has done a version of Len Deighton's SS-GB coming out next week, so maybe there is a slim chance that the old BBC could do a version of Bomber after their success with the Night Manager. Anyway thanks once again for the link.

Regards
Mr Mac

RedhillPhil
15th Feb 2017, 12:22
Mr Mac - concur entirely. :ok: A MUCH better proposition than a re-work of the Dambusters.

Thirded..............

Harley Quinn
15th Feb 2017, 17:22
Less than a tenner will get you 'Nightbombers' from the big river; no cgi, no fakery and best of all, no actors. Filmed in colour it's pretty damn good.