PDA

View Full Version : Citation missing after departure from Burke Lakefront in Cleveland

eastern wiseguy
30th Dec 2016, 13:04
Search underway for missing plane that originated at Burke Lakefront Airport | WKYC.com (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cleveland/search-underway-for-missing-plane-that-originated-at-burke-lakefront-airport/380458775)

US Coastguard and Canadian assets on site .

DaveReidUK
30th Dec 2016, 14:16
ASN quotes a report from FlightAware that the final ADS-B transmission showed an altitude of 3100 ft and a vertical rate of -3750 ft /min.

ASN Aircraft accident Cessna 525C Citation CJ4 N614SB Cleveland-Burke Lakefront Airport, OH (BKL) (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20161229-0)

gleaf
30th Dec 2016, 16:14
Depth in that area is about 19 meters.

robbreid
30th Dec 2016, 16:33
Question???? Reported owner was flying with wife - two sons, neighbour and her child. So sounds like single pilot.

FAA pilot database shows ppl date as Jan 2015 - so is that the date he received his ppl or the last date of entry - which would be C510 rating.

Owner bought Citation Mustang N814WS in 2014 and just sold it last month - the CJ4 he just registered on Oct 14 2016.

peekay4
30th Dec 2016, 17:13
That's the date the certificate was last (re-)issued, which isn't necessarily the initial date. Even a change of address could trigger a re-issue (I just checked my own FAA entry since I changed my address a couple of years back.)

robbreid
30th Dec 2016, 17:20
Thanks for response.

Sales brochure when aircraft was for sale earlier this year.

http://www.whitneyjet.com/files/119198767.pdf

MarcK
30th Dec 2016, 17:53
The date of certificate issue would be the date of the latest change (e.g. type rating).

Airbubba
30th Dec 2016, 18:51
A sad footnote, today is the pilot's 46th birthday.

Here's a briefing on the search by Coast Guard Captain Mike Mullen, the audio is echoed for some reason for the first six minutes or so:

https://www.facebook.com/WKYC.Channel3/videos/10154983389084274/

Captain Mullen says the primary search sensor is the Mark One Mod One eyeball.

ASN quotes a report from FlightAware that the final ADS-B transmission showed an altitude of 3100 ft and a vertical rate of -3750 ft /min.

FR24 has a similar plot showing a right turnout over the lake with a last data point of 1750 feet at 259 knots.

vmandr
31st Dec 2016, 00:37
Single pilot IFR ops in IMC, and perhaps one of his sons in the RH seat ? I wonder...

Almostfamous
31st Dec 2016, 01:13
Long night at sporting event, fatigue
Dark overwater
Icing conditions
Snowing
IMC
Recently purchased aircraft
Wanting to get home that night

It routinely amazes me that people can afford these aircraft but are too cheap to hire a safety pilot or add up all the aforementioned circumstances and decide the right move is to spend the night in the Presidential suite of the four seasons and fly out the next morning after daybreak. If you can afford that aircraft you can afford to be cautious.

galaxy flyer
31st Dec 2016, 01:13
It's been years since I operated a Citation out of Lakefront, but it doesn't look like the departure is any different. You depart a well-lighted airport environment with a large city (albeit Cleveland) in the background, turn north immediately into pitch black Lake Erie with a few ship lights to add to the distractions. A setup for SD. The lake isn't frozen yet, but when it is and ATC holds you down low, it's real disorienting, ice and snow below in and out of the cloud base.

thcrozier
31st Dec 2016, 01:24
It routinely amazes me that people can afford these aircraft but are too cheap to hire a safety pilot...

Me too, as one who could afford it and had a safety pilot. Probably why I'm still here.

Also, for me a big part of the joy of flying was the pleasure of learning new things. My safety pilot was always teaching me.

Now, if only I could find someone as qualified for my sailboat. And yes - this is a job offer.

vmandr
31st Dec 2016, 01:33
I would like to beg those visitors of the site that do single pilot IFR flights, to take the time and read carefully the suggestions of this excellent document. my 2c.

https://www.caa.govt.nz/Advisory_Circulars/AC091_11.pdf

B2N2
31st Dec 2016, 01:46
Whats wrong with engaging the autopilot at 400' before you turn.
Tired at night is no time to be a handfly-hero..

thcrozier
31st Dec 2016, 01:50
May have not understood how it worked..

vmandr
31st Dec 2016, 02:29
...why not use the autopilot below 400'....maybe the below is relevant ?

§ 135.93 Minimum altitudes for use of autopilot.
(a) Definitions. For purpose of this section -

(1) Altitudes for takeoff/initial climb and go-around/missed approach are defined as above the airport elevation.

(2) Altitudes for enroute operations are defined as above terrain elevation.

(3) Altitudes for approach are defined as above the touchdown zone elevation (TDZE), unless the altitude is specifically in reference to DA (H) or MDA, in which case the altitude is defined by reference to the DA(H) or MDA itself.

(b) Takeoff and initial climb. No person may use an autopilot for takeoff or initial climb below the higher of 500 feet or an altitude that is no lower than twice the altitude loss specified in the Airplane Flight Manual (AFM), except as follows -

(1) At a minimum engagement altitude specified in the AFM; or

(2) At an altitude specified by the Administrator, whichever is greater.

(c) Enroute. No person may use an autopilot enroute, including climb and descent, below the following -

(1) 500 feet;

(2) At an altitude that is no lower than twice the altitude loss specified in the AFM for an autopilot malfunction in cruise conditions; or

(3) At an altitude specified by the Administrator, whichever is greater.

(d) Approach. No person may use an autopilot at an altitude lower than 50 feet below the DA(H) or MDA for the instrument procedure being flown, except as follows -

(1) For autopilots with an AFM specified altitude loss for approach operations -

(i) An altitude no lower than twice the specified altitude loss if higher than 50 feet below the MDA or DA(H);

(ii) An altitude no lower than 50 feet higher than the altitude loss specified in the AFM, when the following conditions are met -

(A) Reported weather conditions are less than the basic VFR weather conditions in § 91.155 of this chapter;

(B) Suitable visual references specified in § 91.175 of this chapter have been established on the instrument approach procedure; and

(C) The autopilot is coupled and receiving both lateral and vertical path references;

(iii) An altitude no lower than the higher of the altitude loss specified in the AFM or 50 feet above the TDZE, when the following conditions are met -

(A) Reported weather conditions are equal to or better than the basic VFR weather conditions in § 91.155 of this chapter; and

(B) The autopilot is coupled and receiving both lateral and vertical path references; or

(iv) A greater altitude specified by the Administrator.

(2) For autopilots with AFM specified approach altitude limitations, the greater of -

(i) The minimum use altitude specified for the coupled approach mode selected;

(ii) 50 feet; or

(iii) An altitude specified by Administrator.

(3) For autopilots with an AFM specified negligible or zero altitude loss for an autopilot approach mode malfunction, the greater of -

(i) 50 feet; or

(ii) An altitude specified by Administrator.

(4) If executing an autopilot coupled go-around or missed approach using a certificated and functioning autopilot in accordance with paragraph (e) in this section.

(e) Go-Around/Missed Approach. No person may engage an autopilot during a go-around or missed approach below the minimum engagement altitude specified for takeoff and initial climb in paragraph (b) in this section. An autopilot minimum use altitude does not apply to a go-around/missed approach initiated with an engaged autopilot. Performing a go-around or missed approach with an engaged autopilot must not adversely affect safe obstacle clearance.

(f) Landing. Notwithstanding paragraph (d) of this section, autopilot minimum use altitudes do not apply to autopilot operations when an approved automatic landing system mode is being used for landing. Automatic landing systems must be authorized in an operations specification issued to the operator.

(g) This section does not apply to operations conducted in rotorcraft.

[Doc. No. FAA-2012-1059, 79 FR 6088, Feb. 3, 2014]

and of course the legendary :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN41LvuSz10

galaxy flyer
31st Dec 2016, 02:49
FAR 91 only has to apply the AFM limitations, not FAR 135 restrictions, however advisable.

vmandr
31st Dec 2016, 03:20
Maverick Air LLC (owner) holding 'Commuter' type airworthiness, wouldn't fly under part 135 ?

some additional info about the company and owner at:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/12/cessna-525c-citation-cj4-n614sb.html

stangely reads 'operation 91'

also interesting...

http://blog.privatefly.com/us/part-91-vs-part-135

malabo
31st Dec 2016, 03:38
I would like to beg those visitors of the site that do single pilot IFR flights, to take the time and read carefully the suggestions of this excellent document. my 2c.

Really? Some mickey-duck CAA authority like NZ is any kind of authority on SPIFR over the industry experience of the FAA? Lots of single-pilot complex aircraft IFR flown here every day, normal. Not sure why you add "in IMC", are you even familiar with IFR? Find another windmill.

_Phoenix
31st Dec 2016, 03:54
Strange, they veered on the opposite direction of the flight path planned.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n614sb/#c077e55

vmandr
31st Dec 2016, 04:08
malabo

the experience of FAA is undeniable, of course, but not perfect.
however, almost in every other accident report foreign or NTSB, there are some recommendations to FAA. I guess with all that
experience FAA is a bit short from being 'perfect'

as for the single pilot ops complex or otherwise we read the statistics and the numbers increase all the time.
Stats show slight increase in number of fatal GA accidents ? General Aviation News (http://generalaviationnews.com/2015/08/09/stats-show-slight-increase-in-number-of-fatal-ga-accidents/)

re IMC, sorry I forgot to add 'at night' !

flyer_doc
31st Dec 2016, 06:57
I have looked and can't find any SIDs for this airport- I can find the STARs but no SIDs.
If there are SIDs, do any of them involve a right turn after takeoff, out across the lake?
The direct flight route would call for a left turn after take off, so unless he was following a SID which involved flight in the wrong direction initially (by no means unusual of course) it might be significant that his initial turn was the wrong way- i.e.- not positively intended. Then startle would play a part- he is expecting to see habitation and a biggish city, when all he sees is a black hole. METAR suggests IMC from 2600 ft, and last plot was circa 3000ft.
so fairly quickly into IMC, at a time of high workload, rapid acceleration (somatogravic illusion?) especially if his head was also turned, introducing a lateral component to the illusion=graveyard spiral.
All pure speculation but comments appreciated.
Thanks for the NZ CAA link vmandr - well worth a read for a GA single pilot

TriStar_drvr
31st Dec 2016, 10:52
Cleveland Hopkins Airport (the main airline Airport) is southwest of Lakefront Airport. A left turn departure would place the aircraft in the way of arrivals. That's why the right turn on departure.

Hippy
31st Dec 2016, 10:52
I have looked and can't find any SIDs for this airport
From: TAKEOFF MINIMUMS, (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES, AND
DIVERSE VECTOR AREA (RADAR VECTORS) (http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1613/EC2TO.PDF)

CLEVELAND, OH
BURKE LAKEFRONT (BKL)
TAKEOFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE)
DEPARTURE PROCEDURES
Rwys 24L/24R, climbing right turn to intercept CXR
VOR/DME R-272 to 1900 before proceeding on course.

Murexway
31st Dec 2016, 13:11
Some of the roughest rides I've ever had (on app & dep) were in and out of BKL and CLE in the winter.

Pretty high workload for a low-time, single pilot: night, turbulence, icing, freq change to departure - things happened pretty fast once he got the gear up. Even if he engaged the A/P it might have kicked off.

Sounds like a classic departure stall.

rotornut
31st Dec 2016, 15:53
Now a recovery: Search for small plane that disappeared over Lake Erie now a recovery effort | CP24.com (http://www.cp24.com/world/search-for-small-plane-that-disappeared-over-lake-erie-now-a-recovery-effort-1.3223113)

galaxy flyer
31st Dec 2016, 16:08
Turning LEFT is a problem for ATC, but really tall buildings about 0.5 nm from DER are the real problem--city of Cleveland.

RatherBeFlying
31st Dec 2016, 16:16
I can recall three recent two crew IFR takeoffs or missed approaches into the dark that may have succumbed to disorientation. Flash 604 out of Sharm, Armavia 967 on a miss from Sochi and possibly the TU-154 at Sochi last week.

MungoP
31st Dec 2016, 16:31
We don't know what happened and the job of the NTSB starts now with the task of showing what didn't happen which is what a lot of people don't understand when criticizing the length of time it takes them to produce a report.
But yes, a low hours non-professional pilot in poor weather at night after a long day and operating new, unfamiliar equipment can be a recipe for disaster, as the young Kennedy was to discover. It may turn out that this was not the major cause of the accident but if there's anyone out there reading this that is in a similar position do keep this in mind.. It's an old story that has bitten very hard and tragically too many times yet the lesson although a simple one is ignored time and time again leaving a hole in the ground and a hole in the lives of friends and families.

TowerDog
31st Dec 2016, 18:33
Well spoken Mr. MungoP: I agree with every word and was just about to post a similar message. You did it for me..:uhoh:

SLFinAZ
31st Dec 2016, 19:16
I've got a couple of questions, pardon me in advance if they are a bit ignorant.

I'm curious what the insurance requirements are specific to coverage. My understanding is that both check ride and some amount of simulator and flight time is required transitioning from the Mustang to the Citation. I know that the Mustang is designed as much as a private owner plane and configured for single pilot use. Isn't the Citation series in general really intended for dual pilot use?

so...

Is there a limitation (from an insurance perspective) on pilot qualifications for single pilot operations. Given the sophistication of the avionics why would he not use the automation...I can't think of any reason to be hand flying under those conditions given his low time on the Citation???

West Coast
31st Dec 2016, 19:29
.I can't think of any reason to be hand flying under those conditions given his low time on the Citation???

By what means have you determined the pilot was handflying?

SLFinAZ
31st Dec 2016, 20:33
I most certainly haven't, my own thoughts were similar to those posted above that this appears to be a loss a spatial awareness in IMC (my father lost a close friend in similar circumstances).

I am speculating that he was hand flying since it's a much higher probability statistically than the AP kicking out so quickly. Of course it's also possible that either the AP never engaged or that the accident occurred in part because he was attempting to set the AP (or asked his son to??) and his focus was split between aviating, post takeoff clean up (gear, flaps) and the AP...

The Ancient Geek
31st Dec 2016, 20:41
Many aircraft, including for example the DHC6 Twin Otter, are certificated for single pilot operation. Many local national regulations place limits on such operations varying from VFR only to the number of paying passengers. This is a minefield of inconsistant and often irrational rules which few claim to understand.

West Coast
31st Dec 2016, 20:57
I am speculating that he was hand flying since it's a much higher probability statistically than the AP kicking out so quickly.

You have operating experience specific to the type or aggregate data about the AFCS to arrive at this conclusion?

Almostfamous
31st Dec 2016, 21:35
One item of note from the equipment listed in the sales flyer for the incident aircraft was that it was equipped with a CVR that apparently records flight parameters as well, per the specs:

http://www.l-3ar.com/Draft_0612/html/PROD-Av-Rec-FA2100CVR.php

Perhaps the mystery will be ultimately solved. It also has a pinger, who knows if the coast guard or local authorities can detect it, or will detect it in shallow water.

ams6110
31st Dec 2016, 22:50
According to reports, "the Emergency Locator Transmitter on the missing Cessna is not pinging."

Divers now assisting in lost plane recovery mission in Lake Erie - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports (http://www.walb.com/story/34157910/divers-now-assisting-in-lost-plane-recovery-mission-in-lake-erie)

B2N2
31st Dec 2016, 23:26
Apart from the fact that the airplane was owner flown and therefore Part 91 regardless of the fact that it was on a 135 certificate...

(1) At a minimum engagement altitude specified in the AFM

Even with a 2-pilot crew a "low altitude" autopilot engagement should be briefed prior to departure because it is....prudent with a low level over water turn after departure...at night.

Murexway
31st Dec 2016, 23:47
Although I agree that the A/P is a great aid under these conditions and should be used, especially in single pilot night IFR operations, too many young pilots wealthy enough to afford an airplane such as this think they can substitute button pushing for basic IFR flying skills and currency.

galaxy flyer
1st Jan 2017, 00:15
If the pilot does not have the skills to hand fly the plane, no autopilot will make up for it. IOW, if you can't fly it, don't take it airborne. The A/P is an aid, not a substitute.

Murexway
1st Jan 2017, 01:56
Another thought is ice, even though he wasn't airborne for very long. I thought I saw a post earlier showing the surface temp at departure was +1 and the dewpoint was -2 with mist.

I would think he should have been taxing with the engine anti-ice on and that he would turn on the wing anti-ice just after gear retraction. He was climbing through cold moist air over the lake and the temp at 3,000 AGL should have been about -5. Sometimes ice can accrete rapidly in cloud layers. If he forgot the anti-ice, ice on an intake could have damaged an engine or, more likely, ice on the leading edges could have increased his stall speed in the climbing turn.

ironbutt57
1st Jan 2017, 02:00
Not sure why you add "in IMC", are you even familiar with IFR?

IFR flight isn't necessarily in IMC..

His dudeness
1st Jan 2017, 11:45
Isn't the Citation series in general really intended for dual pilot use?

Hmm, no not really.

First of all, theres a few "Citation" Serieses...the original ones was called the 500 Series. That was the 500/501 (Citation 500/I/ISP), then 550/551 (Citation II/IISP/Bravo) - the stands for the "SP" Models - SP meant Single Pilot. The first evolution was then the S550 (S2) and the 560 (V/Encore/Encore +). For these there still is a single pilot waiver available. Requires training and certain experience (but thats an american thing, as a EASA child Ißm not too familiar with that.)
The 525 series (and the Jet here was a 525C, marketed as CJ4) was the successor of the original series, with different wings, T Tails, engines and of course avionics. it consists of the CJ, CJ1, CJ1+, M2, (C525) the CJ2, CJ2+,(C525A) CJ3 and CJ3 +(C525B) and the CJ4 (C525C). The CJ 4 stands out a little bit, cause its the best performing of the series and the first to have a different wing, basically its a downscaled version of the Sovereign wing (C680). They are all one rating but required differences courses (again: in EASA Land)

In commercial use you would need to fly these with 2 pilots (in EASA land ALL Jets need to be flown with 2 pilots IF commercial). I have flown a lot of single hand on KingAirs and I have about 2000 hrs in a all CJs but the M2, 3+ and 4.

These airplanes are very easy to fly and forgiving. However, the performance especially of the 3 & 4 means that it takes a lot of experience to stay ahead of your airplane IF something goes wrong.

I agree with GF and I think, we are teached to overuse the A/Ps a tad. While I would always try to use as much A/P as possible in a REAL situation, I´d certainly would prefer more training without it. But then, we don´t really know how and how much the pilot in question was trained.

rotornut
1st Jan 2017, 13:43
Search postponed because of bad weather: Bad weather prevents search of Lake Erie for plane carrying six people - The Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/bad-weather-prevents-search-of-lake-erie-for-plane-carrying-six-people/article33464546/?reqid=77b0ec1a-85c8-4e15-aae7-76b9aefc2b7b)

eastern wiseguy
1st Jan 2017, 19:54
Looks like some debris may washing up. The location is about 4 miles east of Burke.

Police investigate possible bag from missing plane | WKYC.com (http://www.wkyc.com/news/police-investigate-possible-bag-from-missing-plane/381103435)

ph-sbe
1st Jan 2017, 23:39
If the pilot does not have the skills to hand fly the plane, no autopilot will make up for it. IOW, if you can't fly it, don't take it airborne. The A/P is an aid, not a substitute.

Tell that to the Asiana jocks that crashed a perfectly serviceable aircraft short of the rwy in SFO.

This happens to aircrew everywhere. 100 or 10,000 hours, people don't seem to get it.

tsgas
1st Jan 2017, 23:52
unfortunately today most pilots have lost their stick & rudder skills and they rely on the A/P to make up for their weakness at diminished flying skills.

Double Back
2nd Jan 2017, 12:40
As a long time FI I have witnessed people getting the own airplane virus.
Bothered by dirty rental planes with small technical issues, non-availability, they start with a search for a C172 or the likes. And ask me for advice.
I tell them the spectrum is between a Piper Cub and a private B747-400, all with their pro and cons. What the bigger and faster one brings, You loose from a simpler one.

After discovering an own plane costs a lot of money and brings worries, eats up precious time, most stop at this level.
But for some, due to the availability of resources (enough money...), it keeps on going and after the prop twin or SE Turbine they end up with twin jets.

For some that route is quite fast, faster than one would consider as smart. (no so long a go one P51 owner crashed fatally with his plane, it turned out he started flying less than one year before...).

I like to state that almost all people I know that arrive to the point that they can afford an expensive jet, are hard working people. If that hard work brings also a good financial state, it brings also the worries and time needed for a fleet of cars, a mansion and one or more weekend houses. Apart from the familiy life, all eat up time.
Getting from nil to the level of a SP flown jet will cost a huge amount of time and resources, and it never stops.

Most business plane owners have discovered that flying a complex jets does not mix with a business meeting and hire at least an experienced safety pilot, or better, a professional crew to at least do the dirty work before the flight.
Pure private pilots that cannot subtract crew cost from their private tax income, tend to bypass this. What is more rewarding if You as the head of the family can offer the luxury of flying them almost anywhere, anytime.

To be honest, my thoughts are with that family and the pilot. He wished and did the best for his family, but it turned into a dramatic outcome.
On the other hand, with 18000 safe airline hours, well trained with expert other crew members: flying single pilot in a fast twin jet with low type hours, in a dark night with all kinds of weather phenomena, is not even LOW on my bucket list, I would pass that one on.

Turbine D
2nd Jan 2017, 23:33
The bag that was found along the shoreline was confirmed to have been on the Citation. Additionally, more debris has washed ashore, believed to be from the aircraft. The water is still to rough to do the normal search and recovery. Lake Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes and it doesn't take much wind to stir it up.

aterpster
3rd Jan 2017, 14:15
His dudeness:

These airplanes are very easy to fly and forgiving. However, the performance especially of the 3 & 4 means that it takes a lot of experience to stay ahead of your airplane IF something goes wrong.

I agree with GF and I think, we are teached to overuse the A/Ps a tad. While I would always try to use as much A/P as possible in a REAL situation, I´d certainly would prefer more training without it. But then, we don´t really know how and how much the pilot in question was trained.

Nonetheless, if a single pilot is "over relying" on the auto-pilot, he/she had better well know all the modes very well, especially for engagement just after takeoff. Otherwise, the autopilot can fly into the water just as easily as a messed up job of hand flying. Asiana reminded us of that at KSFO.

Turbine D
5th Jan 2017, 00:12
Due to high winds and waves on Lake Erie, no recovery operations occurred today. The shoreline was searched for debris. So far, over 100 pieces have been recovered. The main body of the Citation has not been located as of yet. Maybe tomorrow will bring better weather conditions.

aterpster
5th Jan 2017, 00:55
This is a view using S.V. on the departure end of 24R. Great info for the "pro."

I would find S.V. invaluable. But, it needs to be used properly.

Disclaimer: I don't believe the accident airplane had S.V.

His dudeness
5th Jan 2017, 11:22
Nonetheless, if a single pilot is "over relying" on the auto-pilot, he/she had better well know all the modes very well, especially for engagement just after takeoff. Otherwise, the autopilot can fly into the water just as easily as a messed up job of hand flying.

Thats basically what I meant by:

However, the performance especially of the 3 & 4 means that it takes a lot of experience to stay ahead of your airplane IF something goes wrong.

gums
6th Jan 2017, 14:40
Salute!

Some very astute posts above concerning knowledge of each A/P mode and when to use as an aid and when not to. So...

Lost a friend in the Viper who agreed with me about using the A/P to reduce workload when there was a change in plans and you needed to consult maps, change radios and IFF codes and such. Very important for single seaters. Unfortunately, he and many of us did not fully understand the "altitude" hold function of the Viper A/P. He was heavy just after takeoff and down low for entry to the low altidue nav course, then the flight aborted. Turning back over the Salt Lake he apparently engaged "altitude hold" and "heading select" to head back south. I was crossing the lake a few minutes prior and the surface was like a mirror and ceiling was maybe 2,000 - 3,000 feet AGL with scattered now showers. The snow was coming out of clouds and looking lower it was coming up from the reflected clouds. Definitely IMC. So his jet got slow and the AoA limiter stopped holding altitude and he descended quite gently at the limiter until impact, in the process of changing IFF ( we had a solid state recorder for several parameters, so hard to lie to the investigation board).

Lesson learned for all of us back then. And still valid today.

testpanel
6th Jan 2017, 21:03
CVR found:

http://http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cleveland/crews-detect-ping-from-missing-plane-search-range-narrowed/381208795 (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cleveland/crews-detect-ping-from-missing-plane-search-range-narrowed/381208795)

testpanel
9th Jan 2017, 19:14
WATCH | Missing plane search teams remove large debris from Lake Erie | WKYC.com (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/cleveland/missing-plane-search-teams-investigate-large-piece-of-debris/384355098)

Carbon Bootprint
11th Jan 2017, 13:22
The pilot had received FAA certification to fly the 525 on 8th December, just three weeks before the crash. He had previously been certified to fly the 510 Mustang as well as other types.

Source video/article (http://fox8.com/2017/01/10/i-team-pilot-in-plane-crash-had-just-been-certified-for-that-plane/)

Amadis of Gaul
11th Jan 2017, 23:08
Although I agree that the A/P is a great aid under these conditions and should be used, especially in single pilot night IFR operations, too many young pilots wealthy enough to afford an airplane such as this think they can substitute button pushing for basic IFR flying skills and currency.
FWIW, this gentleman wasn't all that young, he was just shy of his 46th birthday.

galaxy flyer
12th Jan 2017, 01:35
The plane has no idea the age of the pilot and could not care less,

GF

2016parks
18th Jan 2017, 20:07
It appears from news reports this week that the search for human remains is now concluded, but that some searching for aircraft pieces may continue. As noted in one article:

Crews have retrieved two wings, large portions of the fuselage, an engine, and other large pieces in a search that will soon enter its third week. The cockpit voice recorder is currently undergoing analysis at the National Transportation Safety Board headquarters in Washington D.C. The plane's ARES box, which records mechanical information, was also sent to the NTSB.

Carbon Bootprint
21st Jan 2017, 02:48
NTSB has issued a preliminary report which is available here (https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20161230X91745&key=1).

Remains identified so far include the pilot, his oldest son, and his adult neighbor. Source (http://www.morningjournal.com/article/MJ/20170120/NEWS/170129983).