PDA

View Full Version : First salt and pepper shakers, now cut back on cleaning

jetjockey696
30th Dec 2016, 03:42
I guess someone will get a payrise or promotion for this suggestion....

Hong Kong airlines Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon cut back on deep-cleaning schedules | South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/2057954/hong-kong-airlines-cathay-pacific-and-cathay)

Yonosoy Marinero
30th Dec 2016, 05:00
The carrier denied the move was a cost-cutting measure,

Of course, it's not. Whatever is saved by flying filthy airplanes will be offest by bigger bonuses.

Rupert Hogg, Cathay Pacific’s chief operating officer and a director of Cathay Dragon, said he could see how “some people might think it is a cost-cutting measure but of course we have no intention of flying dirty aircraft”.

Absolutely, all you have to do is readjust your definition of 'dirty'.
Those airplanes fly chock full of people in a non-ventilated environment for 17 hours/day on average, how much dirtier can they really get if you clean them half as often?

Plus, the dry cabin environment prevents bacteria from festering anyway, right?
It's all good.

http://images.memes.com/meme/413625

Chesty Morgan
30th Dec 2016, 06:15
Those airplanes fly chock full of people in a non-ventilated environment for 17 hours/day on average

I think you need to revisit the Pressurisation section of your flying manual.

Yonosoy Marinero
30th Dec 2016, 07:30
Oh, you mean the part where it says they use as little fresh pack air and as much recirculated air as possible to save fuel?

It rings a bell.

At least we don't get to breathe farts in the pointy end, only fresh toxic oil fumes for us.

:ok:

Arfur Dent
30th Dec 2016, 08:36
OK Mr Hogg, if it's not a cost cutting measure, why are you doing it? To make the aircraft cleaner? Ah yes - sorry - silly me!!

spleener
30th Dec 2016, 11:42
Rupert.
Convergence?

Trafalgar
30th Dec 2016, 15:30
This airline is starting to look more and more like the US airlines that entered bankruptcy in the 80's. Cut, cut, cut, abuse staff, abuse staff, absurd rationalizations, excuses, lies, losing passengers, tarnished reputations, blah, blah, blah. Eventually, some grown-ups took over the management (of most of them) and started to reinvest in their product AND employees. Sadly, the myopic bunch running this airline are deaf, dumb and blind to any of this. The "Fall of Cathay Pacific" is well into it's last chapters. Someone please turn out the last dim lightbulb when it's all over. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Arfur Dent
30th Dec 2016, 19:29
All you need in the middle of this nightmare is a 'brainstorming session" attended by 350 of the main culprits.
Is it so that they can all "be on the same page" - "going forward"?
Can't they see for themselves that the "product" is vastly inferior to the competition?
Trouble is, there isn't a recognisable leader amongst the lot of them, so nothing will change until, mistakenly and/or by accident a proper Swire Prince is promoted.

Shep69
30th Dec 2016, 20:23
Awwww .... come on fellas, ya got it all wrong.

They are moving forward by investing in a cutting edge revolutionary new deep cleaning and sanitizing process at industry standard intervals which will be the industry leading benchmark for decades to come.

Daxon
30th Dec 2016, 21:20
ABC

Anyone But Cathay

Icarus2001
31st Dec 2016, 01:24
Those airplanes fly chock full of people in a non-ventilated environment for 17 hours/day on average

Amazing that no one passes out from lack of oxygen.

kenfoggo
31st Dec 2016, 05:15
Unfortunately the comment from Daxon about ABC (Anyone But Cathay) is gaining widespread usage. Premium passengers are the most discerning and knowledgeable travellers around and they KNOW when the product they are being asked to pay for has been cost - cut to a sub standard level. They are leaving in droves for Cathay competitors which is why the yield on Cathay flights has dropped dramatically resulting in the call from Ivan and the Management to cut costs even further. There can only be one final result from this downward spiral, the shareholders will not like it.

Xwindldg
31st Dec 2016, 07:45
The article does mention that we currently do the deep clean twice as much as our competitors. Average punter probably doesn't notice the underneath of the inside of the seat cuishion has only been deep cleaned once, rather than twice, in a month.

Arfur Dent
31st Dec 2016, 08:50
Makes you wonder how the SCMP found out about our "reduced deep cleaning programme" and when they did, why one of our geniuses didn't tell them that we do it twice as much etc etc……:confused:

ZFT
1st Jan 2017, 04:51
Sit in an average European or USA cabin and then you may have cause for complaint. The mainstream Asian carriers are spotless by comparison.

Old Fella
1st Jan 2017, 09:34
Oh YM, has there been some magic worked on flight crew since I retired??? Or is it that the modern day bellyachers in CX really believe their **** doesn't stink???

stevieboy330
2nd Jan 2017, 10:47
They "deep clean" the flight deck around once every 10 years on the 330 from what I can tell !

Freehills
3rd Jan 2017, 01:40
Sure, now the cleaning cycle is same as competitors, so what's the harm?

But Cathay used to be about doing things right and better than competitors, even if people weren't looking or noticing, because it was the right thing to do. Now the attitude is that good enough is good enough. Which is probably true, but hardly a motivation for staff or customers to do their best or buy tickets

Trafalgar
3rd Jan 2017, 01:45
This is the sort of desperation move necessary when you blow over a Billion USD $$$$$ on an inept fuel hedge :ugh:

bekolblockage
23rd Jan 2017, 12:35
Very regular SLF here.
Cutbacks are working it seems.
Just sat in my seat on 178 and the tray-top shelf is stuffed with used tissues and face wipes.
Nice work CX.
Grime on the plastic and carpets is reminiscent of the dying days of Ansett.
The end is near I fear.

PS. Who chose the friggin durge of a tune played on boarding and taxi in??
Music to slash your wrists by.

betpump5
23rd Jan 2017, 14:49
I PX'd recently from MEL to HKG. Was on the a/c during the cabin cleaning. And I'm being very flattering with the word cleaning.

I suggest everyone brings sanitary wipes for their tray tables. The cloths used for 'wiping' are the same ones the cleaners used for the toilets.

I only hope that the cloths where used for the mirrors...I assume this type of 'cleaning' is for pretty much any airline right??

AU-501
2nd Feb 2017, 16:11
Hey Steve330.
In my neck of the woods it's called a "D" check or a write off when the thing is junked. Do what I did in my former oxygen thieving times. Take some baby arse wipers to work. You know the ones the smell like your kids arse when the were little. Gotta smell better than airplane poo.