PDA

View Full Version : TTG572 - why did it return?

pberrett
28th Dec 2016, 08:03
Hi all

I live in Boronia and about 7.30PM 28/12 heard a plane pass overhead. I quickly went on to Flightradar24 and found that it was Tigerair TGG572 MEL-OOL. What was peculiar was that the flight had taken off a little earlier but was now circling Melbourne.

I tracked the plane and it now appears to have safely landed back at MEL.

Has anyone any idea why the plane returned to MEL rather than continued on to OOL? Bird strike maybe?

cheers Peter

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/TGG572

fujii
28th Dec 2016, 21:56
I don't know about the return but you have the makings of a brilliant journalistic area by including "circling Melbourne" and "landed safely" in a short post.

Capn Bloggs
28th Dec 2016, 21:57
Captain forgot his pressies.

morno
28th Dec 2016, 22:24
****s and giggles. Thought they'd see what attention they could get on pprune

tail wheel
28th Dec 2016, 22:35
Can't be too much wrong with A320 TGG572 / TT572:

Departed Melbourne Tullamarine - MEL Wednesday 28-Dec-2016 20:47 AEDT (47 minutes late)

Landed at Gold Coast - OOL Wednesday 28-Dec-2016 21:28 AEST (59 minutes late)

pberrett
29th Dec 2016, 00:15
I don't know about the return but you have the makings of a brilliant journalistic area by including "circling Melbourne" and "landed safely" in a short post.

I half expected to see a headline in today's Herald-Sun

"TIGER AIRLINES FLIGHT IN TULLA RETURN DRAMA
Tiger Airlines flight forced to return to Tullamarine Airport after mid-air event."

I accept that there can be quite innocuous explanations for why this can happen but there can also be other more concerning ones too. I am still curious to know why they incurred the extra cost in landing back at Tulla.

morno
29th Dec 2016, 00:46
Because the Captain chose to return. That's a pretty accurate explanation. Because aircraft don't just return themselves.

Either way, it may not be any of your business.

Capn Bloggs
29th Dec 2016, 04:00
I am still curious to know why they incurred the extra cost in landing back at Tulla.
Compared to the cost of going U/S in OOL? :rolleyes:

Band a Lot
29th Dec 2016, 05:10
Could be a number of reasons from medical to a mechanical issue.

If it was a serious medical issue circling is unlikely so most likely would be a mechanical issue. As posted above would have possibly been a grounding issue in an unfavourable place. The circling could have been for trouble shooting or planning (can guys fix a broken Fritz in OOL?)

Given the short time back on the ground it was a quick fix.

swh
29th Dec 2016, 05:52
It was not a "plane", it was a boomerang.

Returning boomerangs have a special curved shape and two or more wings that will spin to create unbalanced aerodynamic forces. These forces — sometimes called “lift" — cause the boomerang's path to curve in an elliptical shape, so that it will return to the thrower when thrown correctly.

Fliegenmong
29th Dec 2016, 08:02
Peter - Band a Lot has probably given you the most accurate answer....

....But this is really not the most apppropriate place to seek answers to your curiosity, scornful and sarcastic replies are rude, uncalled for and really rather unprofesional....apologies on behalf of...

framer
29th Dec 2016, 08:30
I agree, I thought the original post was very polite and deserved some respect for its honesty.

sms777
29th Dec 2016, 09:05
They departed 47 minutes later.....That's a pretty damn quick turn around if you ask me. Hat's off to Tiger and ML ATC. Must have been an important chrissy present for the captain.....:E

Capn Bloggs
29th Dec 2016, 10:52
They departed 47 minutes later.....That's a pretty damn quick turn around if you ask me.
Ever heard of a Maintenance Procedure for some inane issue that couldn't be deferred by the crew at OOL?

Capn Bloggs
29th Dec 2016, 10:53
Or maybe they had the wrong "books"?

Band a Lot
30th Dec 2016, 07:20
This time of year I expect a certain licence was required for a defer, and OOL LAME was on vacation.

What ever it was (assuming a maintenance issue) it was more of a paperwork issue than a test and repair issue.

Capt Fathom
30th Dec 2016, 09:41
What was peculiar was that the flight had taken off a little earlier but was now circling Melbourne.

Having stated the aeroplane was circling Melbourne, your Flightradar24 link does not show that!

LostProperty
31st Dec 2016, 00:50
Here is the link to FR24:

www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/tt572/#c030cac

Indeed FR24 it does not seem to show any airborne activity prior to departure of the flight to OOL. On FR24 (and Flight Aware) such an event at a major airport with lots of data feeders nearby would generally show up just like a rejected takeoff or aborted landing - as a continuous trail incorporating all air and ground movements by the aircraft. In fact if an aircraft returns to the gate, the previous excursion will often still be appended when the flight does eventually take off, sometimes hours later.

sleeve of wizard
31st Dec 2016, 08:08
I found out that both the wife and girlfriend were onboard, can't have them comparing notes. :ouch::E