PDA

View Full Version : NDB's near Rio Ebro

colinconxa
26th Dec 2016, 15:15
I live in Tortosa near Ebro Delta. Using FlightRadar24 (and my eyes!) I see acft turning for and out of BCN over Sant Carles de la Rapita and near to l'Ametlla. Can anyoe tell me exact location and details of the NDBs please. I have looked on NDB directory sites but assume I am using incorrect names.

On a hillside near Alfara de Carles there is an antena that looks as though it may be aeronautical.... any ideas?

Many thanks from a retired aircharter broker now resident in your lovely country,

DIBO
26th Dec 2016, 16:18
Better stop thinking in terms of beacons, think 'virtual'!
The sky nowadays is littered with 'waypoints' very often based on GPS navigation, in most cases not a single antenna to be found on the ground...
Here's what the (lower) sky looks like in your part of the world. Along the coastline Reus and Barcelona have a more 'modern' beacon (VOR) installed with in between a good old NDB at Villanueva. And top left you have the Maëlla VOR, although I personally prefer the M replaced by a P :)

eckhard
26th Dec 2016, 16:20
L'Ametlla de mar is very close to waypoint SENIA (N40 52.1 E000 44.3), which is used on departures and arrivals at BCN. Aircraft may be turning there when they join the arrival or leave the departure.

As far as I can see, there are no NDBs or VORs near to there, nor to the other places you mentioned.

colinconxa
1st Jan 2017, 14:21
Thank you both. So..... 50 years ago when I was a Control Office clerk (Southend EGMC) and we had a lower airways map of Europe on the wall, it's now changed then? We also had an Echo talk down approach radar thingy, manually operated of course. You're going to tell me that's been trashed by now aren't you? And Vickers Viscounts no longer tech stop Bordeaux en route Spanish costas? Well, all for the better! Thanks again.

Red Four
18th Jan 2017, 20:11
Hi Colin

As an old egmc lad, have you found this thread yet?
http://www.pprune.org/where-they-now/423730-egmc-1970-1980-a.html