PDA

View Full Version : Army 2002 - Larkhill

BLW Skylark 4
6th Jul 2002, 21:25
Having just returned from the above today, can I say a BIG thanks to anyone involved in today's Firepower demonstration.

The C130 para-drop & tactical landing was v. impressive, the Chinook was as inspiring as ever and as for the Jags & GR7's letting rip on the ranges with 1,000lbs and 2.75in FFAR - WOW!!!

I must confess, I went there with my cynical hat on but came away full of admiration and impressed with what I saw.

Thanks guys for letting a civvy see and experience what the kit can really do...!!!

Always_broken_in_wilts
6th Jul 2002, 23:10
Army fire power demo and the most impressive toys belong to the boys in blue...........go figure! No AH?

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

The Nr Fairy
7th Jul 2002, 04:50
And we copped some of the fallout from the Jags over Pewsey - lots of impressive single and pairs passes west to east anything from 250' ish to 1500' ish. Lovely sound, and my 2 1/2 yr old correctly identified the type !

ewe.lander
7th Jul 2002, 07:52
ABIW.......you can be sooooo harsh at times!

I'm one of your blue comrades who flew in the Army 2002 yesterday and thought the dear old Army was impressive!

As for AH......let go! concentrate on 'K' serviceability and 'J' route - burgling, my oh my, those 'J' boys look good in black! :D

MATZ
7th Jul 2002, 08:34
The Apache has completed a flying display for the last 2 days, and is scheduled to be there again today.

One of the reasons it is only a flying display and not part of the fire-power demonstration is that there are not any ranges in the UK it can currently use. This is because the weapon system is bore-sighted to the "gunners" eye/helmet, and current rules for live firing are very strict (for obvious reasons), requiring firing from known points, in known directions. Imagine sneezing as you pull the trigger..... Good by Devises (not a bad thing some would say).

Anyway, see you all there later. I love working weekends......:D

BEagle
7th Jul 2002, 09:10
Hate to think what would happen if the pilot said "Isn't that Tony Blair over there" just as the gunner pressed the tit..........

Or then again....

Glad to hear that all went well at the Faahrpaahr demo!

kbf1
7th Jul 2002, 11:50
But Beages, perhaps that could be the answer to all of our prayers? Can someone put in a call to JHC?

Tir renrie
8th Jul 2002, 11:40
I would just like to say well done to every body involved.
This year the Army put on as good a show as the RAF, the whole thing was excellent.
Have spent the whole time since regretting getting out of the Artillery, everybody seemed to just really enjoy themselves, and the crowds loved it as well. (Esp. when the hippie protester fell on her a.r.s.e on Saturday, nice little cheer from the masses I thought).
I personally do not think any one team were better then the other. Both days showed just how professional service personnel are at their work, this was proved beyond any doubt by Kings Troop on Sunday.

And how much fun did the pilots of the AH have? I can imagine the smiles on board during what were some very impressive displays.

If you missed the show, then bad luck!!

owe ver chute
8th Jul 2002, 17:28
The reason that the Apache did not fire at the fire power demo is because the planners did not want it to steal the show. The organiser of the event being RA wanted the heavy metal to have the glory.

owenpearce
8th Jul 2002, 17:39
I was on workexperiece in the Merlin Helicopter as an Aircrewman I did'nt stay long but I've been told it was very good just like to say well done to the Army, RAF and even the Navy

HeliAviator
10th Jul 2002, 18:52
Al, well done getting that C130 on and off again in just 4 1/2 minutes. Blue Eagles nice show but bring back the Lynx! Dave the Chinook (from 18 Sqn - not 27 Giz-a-bun Sqn) was excellent, shame you forgot to put the brakes on. Army, thanks for the big bangs but Blue is still the best.:p

ewe.lander
10th Jul 2002, 21:55
Thanks H.aviator! rest of the crew still recovering from one of my firmer (:eek: ) landings.

Totally agree........Blue Eagles without the Lynx is..........pointless!

bandicoot
10th Jul 2002, 22:08
WAH 64

Ask a silly question, but
a) apart from the range problem - didn't think 30mm travels THAT FAR!
b) couldn't the gunner just keep 'eyes front' ( or is the sighting system that likely to do it's own thing? - the Apache not to clown in front)

but has the Harmy Hair Corps actually got the ordnance or personnel to fit it yet - or more smoke and mirrors?:rolleyes:

I'm sure one day it will steal the show - but I may be taking my grandkids to see it by then:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Alf Aworna
10th Jul 2002, 23:02
How can Apache and its 30 mm cannon steal the show after you've had a couple of 1000lbers and some rockets thrown around the place. Just leave out the middle man and get the jets to strafe as well -much more impressive (and fun).;)

canberra
11th Jul 2002, 17:22
at least the apache has a gun, unlike harriers and typhoons!!!! but seriously i have heard on the grapevine that typhoons will have a working gun in raf service.

bandicoot
11th Jul 2002, 18:11
Canberra

Of course the Typhoon will have a working gun - don't all RAF aircrew carry a side arm on ops??

Just flip back the canopy and blat away!!!!!
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/monkes.gif

Mowgli
15th Jul 2002, 00:24
I was there on the Sunday and the the whole thing was excellent. The Army put on a great show with the battlefield demo, and the SH and Herc (3mins 40 on Sunday) were all excellent. The Jags brought back memories, but although unrealistic, a fly by in front of the crowd of the Jags and Harriers on ingress to the IP or after weapons release would have made it all perfection.

It all showed teamwork really well for all 3 Services (Sea Kings there too) and all elements should be congratulated, and especially the organisers who choreographed it all so well.

I'd like to mention the Kings Troop who performed their musical ride in the arena. Although primarily a ceremonial and PR unit (all have a combat role as well), the teamwork, skill, courage and professionalism they display is every bit as relevant in demonstrating what the UK Forces are capable of. On Sunday, they snatched victory from the jaws of defeat when disaster struck during their display. Whilst turning to make a crossing manoeuvre with another carriage at full canter, a gun fell over, toppling one horse with a rider off, ending up with 2 horses down underneath the gun carriage. We waited, hearts in mouth, while the recovery team lifted the pieces off the horses to let them free. After a few long minutes, both horses and a rider were led away and none had serious injury. The recovery team were swift, and effective and were the unsung heroes. The display continued.

Well done the Kings Troop. (For those of you who don't know, they are the ones who had the coffins on the gun carriage of the Princess of Wales and the Queen Mother at their funerals - but I'm sure you all knew that)

AirfixPilot
15th Jul 2002, 12:23
Here here,

I was also mildly amused when one of the Anti-War protestors was unceremoniously dragged off on his ar$e by some squaddies after deciding he wanted to sit down in the middle of the arena. Excellent... (Really shouldn't laugh though, what now that I should be so PC and all. Bad form - human rights and all that)

:D