PDA

View Full Version : ESTA now asks for "optional" social media account info

Mark in CA
23rd Dec 2016, 08:14
Since Tuesday, foreign travelers arriving in the United States on the visa waiver program have been presented with an “optional” request to “enter information associated with your online presence,” a government official confirmed Thursday.

U.S. government begins asking foreign travelers about social media - POLITICO (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/foreign-travelers-social-media-232930)

RevMan2
25th Dec 2016, 06:24
This is, of course, tricky.
Don't provide information "voluntarily" and you're automatically suspicious - who under 60 doesn't have a social media presence these days?
Provide the information and who knows which Twitter accounts that you follow don't sit well with the new rulers in Trumpistan....

ExXB
25th Dec 2016, 17:42
... and the black hats will just create fake, squeaky clean, accounts.

Expatrick
25th Dec 2016, 18:30
Provide the information and who knows which Twitter accounts that you follow don't sit well with the new rulers in Trumpistan....

I thought Obama was still President...for now.

alserire
4th Jan 2017, 21:11
Are people filling in the social media thing? Are they questioning people on it? Just curious. I didn't. I've only a Facebook account and don't do twitter. ESTA was granted within a few minutes. Just wondering will they be questioning people on it. I suspect maybe some and not others.....

Hotel Tango
4th Jan 2017, 22:03
If they ask me on arrival, I shall just reply "PPRuNe" pronounced "PRUNE" and take it from there. ;)

alserire
4th Jan 2017, 22:15
I'll be getting asked in Dublin. They seem to be much nicer in Dublin (and Canada!)

ExXB
5th Jan 2017, 06:08
My Facebook account is not in my name. Neither is my PPRuNe handle. I'm an old fart, I would be believed if I said I don't have social network accounts.

TimGriff6
5th Jan 2017, 07:58
While it is optional, there isn't a problem not filling it in. If it becomes a mandatory box you need to think hard about lying. As far as I can tell lying on a USA immigration form is not a good thing to do. It is pretty easy to prove that you've lied unless you leave your phone, tablet and computer at home and getting caught can mean a very short stay in the USA.

DaveReidUK
5th Jan 2017, 08:40
Some useful information and advice, from a legal point of view, here:

USA January 3 2017

The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has added a request for social media identifiers as part of the visa waiver program (VWP) screening process. This is a novel approach to security screening for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), marking DHS’ first use of a request for social media identifiers in an immigration benefits or travel application. The social media questions on the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) application are listed as optional. It is too early to assess the consequences of answering (or failing to answer) these additional questions.

Background: Security Related VWP Restrictions

The VWP permits citizens of 38 countries to visit the US for up to 90 days without first obtaining a visa stamp from a US consulate. The VWP was modified in December 2015 by the Visa Waiver Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015. This law prohibits the use of VWP by individuals who are nationals of Iraq, Syria, Iran or Sudan. Additionally, the December 2015 law eliminated VWP availability for individuals who have traveled to Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen.

In June 2016, CBP proposed the inclusion of questions about social media within the ESTA form. This proposal was implemented in late December 2016.

Social Media Question on ESTA Form

The ESTA application now includes a request for “information associated with your online presence – Provider / Platform – Social Media Identifier.” The form allows for entry of multiple social media identifiers. CBP’s Privacy Impact Statement states, the social media identifiers will be used to conduct screening, vetting and law enforcement checks of ESTA applicants; this is tied to the use of social media as a mode of communication and recruitment by various terrorist organizations. While the request for this information is new, DHS is not new to the use of social media in investigations. Moreover, President- Elect Trump made immigration vetting, including social media review, a cornerstone of his campaign. The recognition of the use of social media for recruitment and propaganda by terrorist and radical factions is likely to lead to further use of social media screening in the immigration security context.

Use of Information

The CBP plans to use the information gathered from ESTA applicants who chose to divulge their social media identifiers to screen applicants for national security and law enforcement purposes as well as for VWP eligibility. If areas of concern are uncovered in the initial screening, the CBP will engage in further investigation into the applicant’s social media accounts.

CBP will retain the information gathered via an individual’s social media accounts. Since the purpose of social media is to connect with others, CBP may analyze these connections and capture information relating to ESTA applicant’s online “friend” network.

Areas of Concern

The request for social media information raised numerous privacy-related concerns. Once such concern is whether the request for social media identifiers is truly optional. CBP indicates that ESTA applications can be successful, even if the applicant chooses not to divulge social media information. Another area of concern is the potential for misinterpretation of social media postings. It is well known that not everything posted on social media is accurate. CBP states that ESTA clearance will not be denied solely because of social media information.

Allow Time for Visa Application as Alternative

Only time will tell what impact the social media questions will have on ESTA applications. Individuals who are denied ESTA clearance will need to obtain B1/B2 visitor’s visas if they still wish to visit the US temporarily. ESTA application denials are typically issued as a blanket statement citing security concerns and do not allow for a fast track appeal process. It can take months for CBP to process a request to redress a denial. In light of the uncertainty created by the inclusion of the social media question, those needing ESTA clearances for VWP travel should allow enough time for the B1/B2 visa application process, in the event they cannot obtain an ESTA clearance.ESTA Application Requests Social Media Identifiers (http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=3a409b1c-52a0-44a8-bdcf-219238b0e202)

alserire
5th Jan 2017, 10:10
Some useful information and advice, from a legal point of view, here:

ESTA Application Requests Social Media Identifiers (http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=3a409b1c-52a0-44a8-bdcf-219238b0e202)

Thanks Dave. The ESTA came through in a couple of minutes so obviously there wasn't much of an issue. I was more curious if CBP would be asking why people didn't fill it in. It's no big deal and I skipped it mainly because the form itself is long enough and I was getting bored looking up all my information!

I suspect all will be well.

As a matter of interest are there stats for those granted an ESTA but then denied entry?

ExXB
5th Jan 2017, 13:47
And of course 30 million plus Canadian citizens and residents are exempt from the ESTA sillyness.

alserire
5th Jan 2017, 14:33
Silly related question.

When you enter the U.S as a tourist your passport is stamped. You have ninety days. I'm staying a week in April and then in July going for another week. Is my passport stamped again in July with a ninety day allowance? I was there a couple of years back but my passport wasn't stamped when I left. Is it all online now?

Not much help on CBP site.

Heathrow Harry
5th Jan 2017, 15:02
They stamp you in every time and I guess each one restarts the clock - if they think you are using it to work or whatever they will turn you round pronto - or you may have to follow the red line for a pleasant couple of hours getting a serious grilling.....................

ExXB
5th Jan 2017, 15:20
They NEVER stamp you out. Although they have had 'trial' experiments from time to time, which have never worked. They never will unless they rebuild almost every international airport and double their staff. Neither is going to happen.

They likely could save a lot of resources if they didn't require transit pax to clear immigration but then they would have to rebuild almost every international airport.

alserire
5th Jan 2017, 15:22
They stamp you in every time and I guess each one restarts the clock - if they think you are using it to work or whatever they will turn you round pronto - or you may have to follow the red line for a pleasant couple of hours getting a serious grilling.....................

Thanks. I'll be flying from Dublin so the grilling will be here I suppose. Won't be an issue I suppose. The two trips are a week each and tourist related. My sister will be with me on one of them and my brother on the other. I've no further travel planned there for the foreseeable future. Just two family holidays close to each other!

Hotel Tango
5th Jan 2017, 16:14
I have in the recent past traveled multiple times to the USA within a year, all leisure related. Never had any problems. Although there is no stamping out I do believe the airlines register your departure details with Immigration once you have been confirmed as on board and your flight has departed.

PAXboy
5th Jan 2017, 17:07
My guess about asking for social media is the old security routine of: "ask for everything and you might be surprised at what you get" Mostly, people will fill it in. I'm probably going to the states this year so will read the small print carefully.

yellowtriumph
5th Jan 2017, 18:07
Filled out an on-line ESTA application a couple of weeks ago. I didn't fill in this optional social media information, the ESTA came back ok the next day. I think PAXboy may be near the mark in his suggestion.

alserire
5th Jan 2017, 19:15
Mine came back within a couple of minutes. I know there's nothing to worry about really. I was just curious as to whether they are actually questioning people if they haven't filled it in when they pass through CBP.

IBMJunkman
5th Jan 2017, 20:06
As if any self respecting bad guy would fill in real info.