PDA

View Full Version : Air Nauru and Norfolk Island Airlines

Chris2303
23rd Dec 2016, 05:06
Apparently Norfolk Island Airlines are to take up AKL-NLK after Air NZ pull out.

The CASA website is really useless for searching but I can't find an AOC for Norfolk Island Airlines.

Do they have one?

continueapproach737
23rd Dec 2016, 05:41
Norfolk Island Airlines charter Nauru Airlines

ORFOLK ISLAND AIRLINES
PRESS RELEASE
In-light of Air New Zealand’s suddenly withdrawing its Auckland service, Norfolk Island Airlines will now bring forward its planned 2017 Brisbane service to include an Auckland service.
The aircraft for the service is a chartered Boeing 737-300 operated by Nauru Airlines.
Subject to approvals being obtained for the Auckland sector, Norfolk Island Airlines would be able to commence its weekly Sunday Brisbane – Norfolk Island – Auckland – Norfolk Island – Brisbane service in May to provide continuity for the Islands New Zealand visitors.
This new service would replace the loss of the Air New Zealand Auckland services and add much needed weekend capacity from the Australian market.
Norfolk Island Airlines has written to Senator Nash seeking an urgent meeting to discuss the New Zealand service.
Gregg Prechelt
Director
16 December 2016
For more information please contact
Glen Buffett on + 6723 52268 or email [email protected]

TurboProp2120
19th Apr 2017, 12:30
Looks like Norfolk Island Airlines have started to sell tickets for AKL-NLK and BNE-NLK with a leased 733 from Nauru Airlines.

AerialPerspective
19th Apr 2017, 12:46
Sorry, but excuse me if I don't fall down laughing hysterically... the former 'Administration' of Norfolk which was dissolved by the Commonwealth went on this folly with OzJet and the Our Airline previously. From what I could gather it was a waste of money hand over fist. If Air NZ aren't flying the route any more, it's because there is INSUFFICIENT TRAFFIC to make it viable. Starting another operation isn't going to make it more viable, it's just going to make sure millions more dollars go down the Norfolk sink hole on another 'we want an airline folly'... the last one they brought in a guy who had previously run a failed airline but beside that, there were people who were on the Adminstration who's businesses benefited and the whole thing was a complete and utter waste of money and what happened in the end??? The Commonwealth stopped paying... then we have Islanders complaining that they have had their Assembly taken away... well, maybe that's because of the money that is wasted on this sort of crap and quite frankly the media reports and suggestions of bloodless genocide... please, there are people dying in real genocide around the world and it is inappropriate for this to be said. History repeats is all I can say... wonder who they'll get to run it this time. Someone from the Island who doesn't know squat about aviation but is quick to insist they are experts.
I don't want to be cruel but maybe this is why the Commonwealth government lowered the boom a few years ago. If the Island wants to be independent good luck to them but it just seems that they do these things, they cost lots of money then the hand goes out to the Commonwealth again and taxpayers on the mainland and then all sorts of accusations are made about Australia in the media.
Someone tell me if I've got this wrong???

TurboProp2120
19th Apr 2017, 13:16
Sorry, but excuse me if I don't fall down laughing hysterically... the former 'Administration' of Norfolk which was dissolved by the Commonwealth went on this folly with OzJet and the Our Airline previously. From what I could gather it was a waste of money hand over fist. If Air NZ aren't flying the route any more, it's because there is INSUFFICIENT TRAFFIC to make it viable. Starting another operation isn't going to make it more viable, it's just going to make sure millions more dollars go down the Norfolk sink hole on another 'we want an airline folly'... the last one they brought in a guy who had previously run a failed airline but beside that, there were people who were on the Adminstration who's businesses benefited and the whole thing was a complete and utter waste of money and what happened in the end??? The Commonwealth stopped paying... then we have Islanders complaining that they have had their Assembly taken away... well, maybe that's because of the money that is wasted on this sort of crap and quite frankly the media reports and suggestions of bloodless genocide... please, there are people dying in real genocide around the world and it is inappropriate for this to be said. History repeats is all I can say... wonder who they'll get to run it this time. Someone from the Island who doesn't know squat about aviation but is quick to insist they are experts.
I don't want to be cruel but maybe this is why the Commonwealth government lowered the boom a few years ago. If the Island wants to be independent good luck to them but it just seems that they do these things, they cost lots of money then the hand goes out to the Commonwealth again and taxpayers on the mainland and then all sorts of accusations are made about Australia in the media.
Someone tell me if I've got this wrong???

I don't disagree with you AerialPerspective. If Air NZ can't make ALK - NLK work I'm not sure how Norfolk Airlines will.

troppo
19th Apr 2017, 15:29
86% Australian population. About time NZ stopped doing charity work :E

parabellum
19th Apr 2017, 22:28
Wouldn't be the first route that was operated for reasons other than making a profit, particularly servicing isolated islands, they are usually subsidised by concerned governments.

packapoo
19th Apr 2017, 22:40
I don't disagree with you AerialPerspective. If Air NZ can't make ALK - NLK work I'm not sure how Norfolk Airlines will.

Maybe back to the future with Queenairs....:eek:

chimbu warrior
19th Apr 2017, 22:42
Whilst I don't know a lot about the AKL-NLK market, I'd suggest that Air Nauru with a smaller aircraft (B733 vs A320) and lower cost structure could very well make a go of it. I doubt they would be rushing into it without doing proper research.

AerialPerspective
20th Apr 2017, 00:29
Whilst I don't know a lot about the AKL-NLK market, I'd suggest that Air Nauru with a smaller aircraft (B733 vs A320) and lower cost structure could very well make a go of it. I doubt they would be rushing into it without doing proper research.
Not the case I don't think. In the OzJet days, OzJet flew for a fee and the 'Island' just paid the fees and tried to make a profit out of the cost of paying O7 vs the fares it charged.
It got complicated because Norfolk Air as it was then didn't have an AOC, thus didn't have an IATA code so could not do anything beyond basically paying for OzJet to operate the route which at the time was codeshared with QF.
Likely ON couldn't care less. If they're told they'll be paid x amount of $ per hour and it covers their costs then they don't care if Norfolk don't make a profit, that's Norfolk's problem. The problem with the Island is that there are people there who, let's face it, live a pretty isolated life, they're not 'world-wise' and they think they know everything there is to know about running an airline and even with bringing people in from outside in the past they have completely fallen flat on their face and presumably will do this time as facts don't change. ON likely know that they will get their money either way because likely, as in the past, the Commonwealth will bail them out (the Island that is). To get an idea of the parochialism one only has to talk to a few people at BNE Airport some 10 or so years ago and the type of behavior exhibited by certain persons in a position of responsibility on the Island when confronted with not being able to be checked in... a tirade of foul abuse is an understatement... and everyone would know who I was talking about... that were involved. What I'm getting at is there is a certain arrogance and a demonstrated inability to learn from mistakes. Most of the people on the Island are welcoming and lovely people but there are a small band who have been down this road before and it's always ended in financial turmoil... feel free to offer examples to refute that if someone has them.

TBM-Legend
20th Apr 2017, 01:19
One day a week service it seems...

In the good old days three Super King Airs BNE-LDH-NLK-LEDH-BNE daily plus SYD-LDH-SYD connections to NLK. Extra flights in holiday seasons..

TurboProp2120
20th Apr 2017, 11:49
Not the case I don't think. In the OzJet days, OzJet flew for a fee and the 'Island' just paid the fees and tried to make a profit out of the cost of paying O7 vs the fares it charged.
It got complicated because Norfolk Air as it was then didn't have an AOC, thus didn't have an IATA code so could not do anything beyond basically paying for OzJet to operate the route which at the time was codeshared with QF.
Likely ON couldn't care less. If they're told they'll be paid x amount of $ per hour and it covers their costs then they don't care if Norfolk don't make a profit, that's Norfolk's problem. The problem with the Island is that there are people there who, let's face it, live a pretty isolated life, they're not 'world-wise' and they think they know everything there is to know about running an airline and even with bringing people in from outside in the past they have completely fallen flat on their face and presumably will do this time as facts don't change. ON likely know that they will get their money either way because likely, as in the past, the Commonwealth will bail them out (the Island that is). To get an idea of the parochialism one only has to talk to a few people at BNE Airport some 10 or so years ago and the type of behavior exhibited by certain persons in a position of responsibility on the Island when confronted with not being able to be checked in... a tirade of foul abuse is an understatement... and everyone would know who I was talking about... that were involved. What I'm getting at is there is a certain arrogance and a demonstrated inability to learn from mistakes. Most of the people on the Island are welcoming and lovely people but there are a small band who have been down this road before and it's always ended in financial turmoil... feel free to offer examples to refute that if someone has them.

Agreed. The old Norfolk Jet also left a very long line of unhappy creditors, including more than $500,000 in landing fees to the administration.

This time they are operating a three class cabin well above Air NZ prices.

Example, flying BNE to NLK on 17/06:
NIA: $277 - Economy / $525 Premium / $612 Business
ANZ: $277 - Seat+Bag / $307 - TheWorks / $372 - The Works Deluxe

Return prices are the same.

I will watch this incarnation with interest but feel it may be like watching a long slow train crash. Just don't book your tickets in advanced.

BNEA320
20th Apr 2017, 11:59
Apparently Norfolk Island Airlines are to take up AKL-NLK after Air NZ pull out.

The CASA website is really useless for searching but I can't find an AOC for Norfolk Island Airlines.

Do they have one?why would Norfolk Island Airlines need an AOC when Nauru Airlines, has a perfectly good Australian one.

TBM-Legend
20th Apr 2017, 12:02
Norfolk Is has passed its used by date. Not considered a major destination in this era of cheap air travel and first class resorts etc etc..

Lord Howe is stil an interesting go to place for some..

BNEA320
20th Apr 2017, 12:03
Agreed. The old Norfolk Jet also left a very long line of unhappy creditors, including more than $500,000 in landing fees to the administration.

This time they are operating a three class cabin well above Air NZ prices.

Example, flying BNE to NLK on 17/06:
NIA: $277 - Economy / $525 Premium / $612 Business
ANZ: $277 - Seat+Bag / $307 - TheWorks / $372 - The Works Deluxe

Return prices are the same.

I will watch this incarnation with interest but feel it may be like watching a long slow train crash. Just don't book your tickets in advanced.air services of some sort, have to be underwritten to Norfolk by OZ govts, otherwise the Chinese, will "move in". Do we really want China so close ?

The works & works deluxe fares above are economy, not business class I believe.

BNEA320
20th Apr 2017, 12:07
thinking about Norfolk, it would be much better if it were designated as an international destination, not an Australian domestic destination.

At present, only OZ or NZ airlines can operate in & out of Norfolk, at least from OZ end (many airlines could operate from NZ end). ON is really an Australian airline, OZ AOC & OZ rego.

If Norfolk was designated international (they do have duty free sales already) then many non OZ/NZ airlines could operate OZ mainland/Norfolk/NZ.

parabellum
20th Apr 2017, 22:51
Way back, 1978, Nauru had its own register, C2-RN?, have they given that up now and become Australian registered?

tail wheel
20th Apr 2017, 22:59
How many international carriers operating B737 and larger does an island with a population of 2,210 need, before the last person turns out the lights? Champagne tastes on beer money?

Sydney to Norfolk Island is 1,673 km (903 naut miles) and Auckland to Norfolk Island is 1,074 km (580 naut miles).

Service frequency is the secret to a successful air service. It seems to me a Dash 8 or similar turbo prop would be the appropriate aircraft for the Sydney - Lord Howe - Norfolk Island - Auckland service?

cavemanzk
21st Apr 2017, 23:16
Surely an Alliance F70 would of been an better fit, and maybe run twice weekly?

Think one of the pervious attempts had been on an F100 to AKL?

patagonianworelaud
21st Apr 2017, 23:41
How many international carriers operating B737 and larger does an island with a population of 2,210 need,

It goes beyond the immediate travel needs of the local population - there's a significant tourist market to serve as well.

tail wheel
22nd Apr 2017, 18:32
It goes beyond the immediate travel needs of the local population - there's a significant tourist market to serve as well.

I am well aware of the Norfolk Island tourist traffic, but how attractive will a once-per-week air service be to the tourist market? How well will it be promoted internationally? Will it have through fares and on carriage agreements? Will it only survive with Government subsidies, which has been the case with many previous operators?

Subject to approvals being obtained for the Auckland sector, Norfolk Island Airlines would be able to commence its weekly Sunday Brisbane – Norfolk Island – Auckland – Norfolk Island – Brisbane service in May to provide continuity for the Islands New Zealand visitors.

There will be some happy campers if the sole aircraft goes US!

How much more tourist traffic could be generated if the service had more attractive and reasonable service frequency with a smaller DHC-8-400 or as someone mentioned above, a Fokker 70?

Been a few operators found they can't make a quid on that air service!

TBM-Legend
22nd Apr 2017, 21:54
I saw a DC-4 for sale in the UK. Let's get that service going again...

zanzibar
23rd Apr 2017, 04:47
I am well aware of the Norfolk Island tourist traffic, but how attractive will a once-per-week air service be to the tourist market?Time will tell and I imagine the operator will react to market needs. Pretty basic business principle, really.

There will be some happy campers if the sole aircraft goes US!You're out of touch, Nauru Airlines has 3, possibly 4, passenger aircraft and the ability to mount a quick rescue should it be required.

IIRC Our Airline (as Nauru Airlines was known at the time) some time back (early 2012?) ceased the service that Norfolk Air had leased it for. The Our Airline service was not subsidised as such but funded by the Norfolk Island Administration (NIA) until the NIA decided to withdraw from any airline involvement. The Australian government, in its wisdom, offered a subsidy to operate SYD-NLK and they have been paying that subsidy to Air New Zealand since. Had they paid that subsidy to the NIA then the Norfolk Air service may well have continued without the loss of dozens of local jobs that it provided.

AerialPerspective
23rd Apr 2017, 14:49
Time will tell and I imagine the operator will react to market needs. Pretty basic business principle, really.

You're out of touch, Nauru Airlines has 3, possibly 4, passenger aircraft and the ability to mount a quick rescue should it be required.

IIRC Our Airline (as Nauru Airlines was known at the time) some time back (early 2012?) ceased the service that Norfolk Air had leased it for. The Our Airline service was not subsidised as such but funded by the Norfolk Island Administration (NIA) until the NIA decided to withdraw from any airline involvement. The Australian government, in its wisdom, offered a subsidy to operate SYD-NLK and they have been paying that subsidy to Air New Zealand since. Had they paid that subsidy to the NIA then the Norfolk Air service may well have continued without the loss of dozens of local jobs that it provided.
Ah no, I worked for a company that attended the briefing. The Commonwealth I believe was sick of 'deals' being done for air services so along with agreeing to subsidize it, it put it out to tender and Air NZ came back with the best cost/benefit. I assume NZ operate it on the back of a AKL-SYD flight but not sure.
However, it was done properly with a tendering process.
When OzJet did it they made a mistake compared with their other contracts, they agreed to fund the ground handling and charge a fee which had a notional amount for ground handling and catering but then with weather nearly always delaying services, ground handlers charge 50 or 100 percent extra depending on the amount of notice and with weather it's normally less than that required in standard contracts (and fair enough, you can't expect a ground handler to pay people to sit around all day just in case).
O7's other contracts like Airlines PNG were much better structured in that APNG 'owned' the ground handling and catering contracts and paid them directly and just leased the aircraft and crew on and ACMI basis for an hourly rate. Had O7 done this with NLK, they likely would have increased the sustainability of the operation but the NLK Administration would have gone bust earlier. To be fair, the NLK contract was quickly put together after the O7 all J Class domestic service to keep the airline operating and it was a foothold in the ACMI/Charter market which kept the airline operating. The lesson was learned with later contracts. I am not sure but I assume one of the reasons O7 lost it was because they wanted to do it similar to the CG arrangement when the contract renewal came up and that was rejected.
It was probably marginal until they let someone go in there and start touting business class and all these extras which blew the costs out as well (not talking O7, but Norfolk).

TurboProp2120
25th Apr 2017, 06:15
Ah no, I worked for a company that attended the briefing. The Commonwealth I believe was sick of 'deals' being done for air services so along with agreeing to subsidize it, it put it out to tender and Air NZ came back with the best cost/benefit. I assume NZ operate it on the back of a AKL-SYD flight but not sure.
However, it was done properly with a tendering process.
When OzJet did it they made a mistake compared with their other contracts, they agreed to fund the ground handling and charge a fee which had a notional amount for ground handling and catering but then with weather nearly always delaying services, ground handlers charge 50 or 100 percent extra depending on the amount of notice and with weather it's normally less than that required in standard contracts (and fair enough, you can't expect a ground handler to pay people to sit around all day just in case).
O7's other contracts like Airlines PNG were much better structured in that APNG 'owned' the ground handling and catering contracts and paid them directly and just leased the aircraft and crew on and ACMI basis for an hourly rate. Had O7 done this with NLK, they likely would have increased the sustainability of the operation but the NLK Administration would have gone bust earlier. To be fair, the NLK contract was quickly put together after the O7 all J Class domestic service to keep the airline operating and it was a foothold in the ACMI/Charter market which kept the airline operating. The lesson was learned with later contracts. I am not sure but I assume one of the reasons O7 lost it was because they wanted to do it similar to the CG arrangement when the contract renewal came up and that was rejected.
It was probably marginal until they let someone go in there and start touting business class and all these extras which blew the costs out as well (not talking O7, but Norfolk).

I give Norfolk Airlines a year.

zanzibar
27th Apr 2017, 06:29
IATA-Code:YE
Airline:Yanair

That would explain it :-)

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
29th Apr 2017, 07:40
Nauru Airlines has 3, possibly 4, passenger aircraft and the ability to mount a quick rescue should it be required

They struggle to have enough operational at once to operate their own services, let alone take on any more.

AerialPerspective
7th Jun 2017, 16:06
If it were my train set: (and if I had any sway at air north...)

0730-0900 - EMB170 - NLK - BNE
1000-1200 - EMB170 -BNE - NLK
1300 - 1500 - EMB170 - NLK - SYD
1700 - 1930- EMB170 - SYD NLK
2030 - 2300 - EMB170 - NLK - BNE
Only problem with that is the weather out on the Island is often crap and precludes ops so could result in the whole thing falling over after the first flight. It's why O7 couldn't make money on it because they had agreed to pay the ground handling in Australia... ground handlers charge 50% more or double if there is insufficient notice given for schedule changes/delays which there often is with NLK WX.

TBM-Legend
7th Jun 2017, 23:51
0730-0900 - EMB170 - NLK - BNE
1000-1200 - EMB170 -BNE - NLK
1300 - 1500 - EMB170 - NLK - SYD
1700 - 1930- EMB170 - SYD NLK
2030 - 2300 - EMB170 - NLK - BNE

You must work in the accounts office..

How does your E170 get to NLK to start the day when its in BNE according to your schedule???

chimbu warrior
8th Jun 2017, 00:02
I just dont see any profitable market that employs a clapped out chinese govt gifted 737-300 (the highest cycle example on earth!!!) or even a clapped out fokker.

Not sure that this is correct. My understanding is that ON fleet includes the last classic 737's built (ex Air NZ).

Not aware of the E170 being ETOPS approved (but could be wrong on that), and for my money I'd prefer to be on a Boeing operated by a carrier with plenty of experience in remote island operations.

TurboProp2120
8th Jun 2017, 01:15
I don't think the E170 is ETOPS but the E190 is.

Weather is a big factor for Norfolk Island. You either need a big enough fleet to be able to absorb the changes or small enough that a cancellation doesn't effect other services. Not sure if it would work for Air North in that case.

I find it very interesting the neither Qantas, Virgin or Jetstar have expressed interest in the route and now AirNZ is finding it hard to justify it.

puff
8th Jun 2017, 03:11
I believe the pavement concessions out there are an issue. The 737-800 doesn't have a low pressure tyre option, which is why the A320 is a better option(and why VA uses the A320 to Cocos Island). Not sure about the 170 but 190 can be EDTO rated, tho like all things mega $$ and not an easy option for operators(route proving etc). VA and nearly all major operators are getting rid of them for a reason, nearly 737 costs with far less seats.

WX can be terrible out there but the huge amount of diversions has mostly been fixed by the RNP approach out there which gets you down to 360 feet in 2km vis one end and 314 feet and 1.7km at the other end. Issue is as far as I know that JQ/QF/NZ/VA are the only RNP-AR approved operators in this region, anyone else is doing RNAVs with 630 feet and 3.5km vis minimas, which when it's crap in NLK doesn't even get you close.

All of the Islands (Christmas/Cocos/Lord Howe/Norfolk) are not viable commercial ports without the government subsidies. NZ has never paid a subsidy for the AKL-NLK and AU isn't going to.

Next interesting point is what happens to Lord Howe when QFlink doesn't apply to renew Lord Howe, the Q200s are getting long in the tooth and costly to keep them just for there, what aircraft and operator has the capabilities to offer the service the island has had for years with the Link?

witwiw
8th Jun 2017, 10:50
My understanding is that ON fleet includes the last classic 737's built (ex Air NZ). Entirely correct, last ones (-300's) off the production line.

chinese govt gifted 737-300 Entirely incorrect, China has never gifted any aircraft to Nauru Airlines.

clapped out You'd best have a word with CASA if that's your opinion. The recent audit there, however, saw no such issues.

Aloha_KSA
9th Jun 2017, 10:37
Fiji Air could do a tag flight through NLK to AKL and back and make a go of it. Fiji connects to LAX, SFO, SIN, HKG, and OZ up north, so could be good for tourism. Until about 3 years ago FJ used NLK as an enroute alternate. They are set up for that kind of ops.

AerialPerspective
10th Jun 2017, 04:26
Fiji Air could do a tag flight through NLK to AKL and back and make a go of it. Fiji connects to LAX, SFO, SIN, HKG, and OZ up north, so could be good for tourism. Until about 3 years ago FJ used NLK as an enroute alternate. They are set up for that kind of ops.
They won't. Because the only people that think NLK is of any importance to anyone are those that live there. It is an incredibly insular and in many ways, ignorant place, ignorant of the realities of the world... the reason the Commonwealth assumed control of it is because the assembly had wasted money hand over fist for years on trying to have an airline and it spectacularly failed every time (along with other follies).

I had some involvement with 'the Island' for a time and have to say the behaviour of some of those so-called representatives toward airport staff warranted calling the police... not physical but vile, foul mouthed abuse on at least one occasion, that resulted in a demand for an apology I believe.

Unfortunately, I feel for the residents because they are trapped on an Island miles from anywhere with very little contact but that has also made them insular and not aware of the wider world and not able to see the inconsistency in demanding autonomy and not 'calling themselves Australian' but not being backward in putting their hand out for Commonwealth money when the latest high cost airline folly goes belly up.

It really is something that people should let go of... let the Australian and NZ Govt. subsidize something but aside from that, these people cannot have it both ways... they can't expect to run their affairs, waste money and put their hands out for more from MINE and others taxes then demand they are independent.

For support, I tender into evidence their wholly disconnected assertion that Commonwealth take-over of their administration is a form of genocide... please, there are real people dying of genocidal acts around the world, how dare they call a change of administration that... this is evident of the NLK bubble in which some of them reside.

dodo whirlygig
10th Jun 2017, 09:30
And, AP, you feel the same way about the people on Cocos Island and Christmas Island that enjoy ample Oz government support alike the type the Norfolkese are asking for?

on an Island miles from anywhere with very little contact There are many that would see this as a distinct attraction ..............

let the Australian and NZ Govt. subsidize something You've lost me here, what is it you're suggesting should be subsidiSed?

Chris2303
10th Jun 2017, 10:49
Why should NZ subsidise am Australian territory?

We have enough trouble subsidising our own...

TBM-Legend
10th Jun 2017, 11:31
It was profitable with NIA Super King Airs eons ago. Connected BNE/SYD/LHI/NLK

TWOTBAGS
11th Jun 2017, 09:55
Under current rules the E170 & F70 are unable to do the job, I want to say CAO82. While QQ has F100s that are capable (by dispensation) I do not know if the dispensation for stretching EDTO to the F70 ever happened.

Chris2303
13th Sep 2017, 14:30

Didn't even last that long:

A Norfolk Island company that started an airlink to the island from Auckland just three months ago has stopped the service.

Norfolk airline ends Auckland flight after three months | Radio New Zealand News (http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/339269/norfolk-airline-ends-auckland-flight-after-three-months)

TurboProp2120
15th Sep 2017, 05:29
That has to be some kind of record, right? :ugh:

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
15th Sep 2017, 11:18
Typical lazy journalism. The aircraft pictured in the linked article hasn't worn those colours for 7 years. It's not even the same airline they are reporting on.

ivan ellerbai
29th Oct 2017, 03:30
Been looking at FlightRadar24 regularly of late and the NLK-AKL return service with the Nauru Airlines aircraft still seem to be operating each Saturday.

Re: Way back, 1978, Nauru had its own register, C2-RN?, have they given that up now and become Australian registered?

A bit of research shows that Air Nauru got an Australian AOC back in 1998. Since then some name changes to Our Airline and then, more recently, Nauru Airlines.
Interestingly, it is a foreign airline holding a full Australian AOC, not a Foreign AOC as most of the foreign international operators do.

Just got to love Wikipedia.

parabellum
29th Oct 2017, 21:15
Another interesting point about Nauru is that its currency is the Australian dollar I believe? The only overseas, non Australian territory allowed to use it!

witwiw
29th Oct 2017, 22:44
The only overseas, non Australian territory allowed to use it! Not so!

The Kiribati Republic also uses the Australian Dollar as their official currency.

Tuvalu also uses the Aussie Dollar banknotes whilst having their own coins as part of the Tuvaluan Dollar. Both Tuvaluan coins and Aussie coins are in circulation together.

Kiribati and Tuvalu were once part of the Gilbert and Ellice Islands.

parabellum
30th Oct 2017, 23:12
Thanks witwiw - didn't know that! :) (About the currency).

mgahan
31st Oct 2017, 22:24
And here in Kiribati one can still find original (1966) issue coins.

I have manged to collect a set each for my two grand kids. Now their parents want a set!! The coins cleaned up nicely in warm Coke.

"In come the dollars and in come the cents,
Out go the pounds and the shillings and the pence,
On the fourteenth of February 1966. "
[Also the date of the Red Hill tram depot fire which began the process for the end of trams in Brisbane]
{Not forgetting, of course, for all you romantics, the day for Mr Lincoln roses and chocolates]

MJG

AerialPerspective
1st Nov 2017, 14:58
And, AP, you feel the same way about the people on Cocos Island and Christmas Island that enjoy ample Oz government support alike the type the Norfolkese are asking for?

There are many that would see this as a distinct attraction ..............

You've lost me here, what is it you're suggesting should be subsidiSed?
No. Difference is the people on Cocos and Christmas Island don't think they're experts in everything including aviation and don't have multiple failed airline follies behind them... as to subsidy, I was just suggesting it needs to be subsidized, don't care who by but whoever does, needs to control the contracts and the services because every time it's been put in the hands of pine tree growers on the island it's been a disaster...

patagonianworelaud
8th Nov 2017, 22:44
I was just suggesting it needs to be subsidized,

It's "subsidised". Even poster 36, of whom you've quoted, tried to point that out.

Interesting, wasn't aware Norfolk Island had an agribusiness industry in the form of tree growing and harvesting.

TBM-Legend
9th Nov 2017, 01:20
Bring back the Super King Airs I say....

Fris B. Fairing
9th Nov 2017, 01:45
Like this?

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/VH-IBC-L37.jpg

packapoo
9th Nov 2017, 20:13
Actually surprised Poxie haven't taken up the Norfolk route.

There's a lot of betel nut produced there. Would help both bottom lines. Win win......

TBM-Legend
9th Nov 2017, 21:21
VH-IBC, first B200 to go past 20,000 hours I recall. King Airs made money. Dash 8 didn't..

Fris B. Fairing
9th Nov 2017, 21:30
TBM

Do you know what ever happened to IBC? Last I heard she went to PNG as parts but the trail went cold from there.

Rgds

troppo
24th Nov 2017, 10:41
They struggle to have enough operational at once to operate their own services, let alone take on any more.

And one has been bust on the apron at Nadi for most of this week with the port cowling open.

dodo whirlygig
24th Nov 2017, 20:50
As it happens, there is one of their aircraft there every week for 4 or 5 days. I see it come in from Nauru on a Sunday evening and it leaves again late Thursday night or early on Friday - it is part of their scheduling (although possibly it doesn't represent good utilisation).

Seeing an a/c there for a week is not unusual. They appear to rotate different aircraft through as the registration of the one that leaves is usually different to the one that returns a few days later.

troppo
8th Dec 2017, 10:21
As it happens, there is one of their aircraft there every week for 4 or 5 days. I see it come in from Nauru on a Sunday evening and it leaves again late Thursday night or early on Friday - it is part of their scheduling (although possibly it doesn't represent good utilisation).

Seeing an a/c there for a week is not unusual. They appear to rotate different aircraft through as the registration of the one that leaves is usually different to the one that returns a few days later.
I stand to be corrected but I haven't seen VH-PNI move much at all...for a while

coaldemon
8th Dec 2017, 19:08
The one in Nadi is doing an engine change this weekend according to an engineering source.

rammel
8th Dec 2017, 21:55
Many years ago when a B733 was operated ex MEL-SYD-NLK I remember that the passenger load was lucky to be half or just over half full, so more than likely not profitable. This may sound harsh, but what has changed out at Norfolk Island since then that will have tourists streaming out there? Or is this just a taxi service to the mainland for the locals and if they get some tourism, then that's great.

Seeing the King Air pic got me thinking that maybe the King Air is the best aircraft for this route. Maybe a King Air 350ER 3-5 times a week for passengers and B200 freighters once or twice a week. If something larger is required, then maybe Jetgo with an Embraer 135 may be suitable.

As much as the locals may want a larger aircraft on the route, it's obvious from the airlines that have been and gone from NLK that the passenger numbers are not there. So maybe it's time that the administration out there became realistic with their plans.

27/09
9th Dec 2017, 06:57
The Australian government, in its wisdom, offered a subsidy to operate SYD-NLK and they have been paying that subsidy to Air New Zealand since. Had they paid that subsidy to the NIA then the Norfolk Air service may well have continued without the loss of dozens of local jobs that it provided.

I don't believe Air New Zealand received any money from the Australian government for the SYD-NLK operation. Sure there was always the option of calling on the Australian government for a top up but this option was never exercised from what I've heard.

TurboProp2120
26th Feb 2018, 05:38

Geez, I was pretty close to the money on this one with Norfolk Airlines officially pulling the plug on their services effective 18 March 2018.

Statement from Management below.

Back to the King air I say!

---
Dear Customers

Norfolk Island Airlines advises that effective from the 18th March 2018 the airline is cancelling all passenger services.

Over the last 12 months the airline has endeavoured to provide Norfolk Island with additional independent passenger services to Auckland and Brisbane, however the airline has experienced significantly higher that planned operating costs and considers that continued passenger operations are not sustainable.

The decision to cancel these passenger services has not been made lightly and has been made in the best interests of all of our customers to ensure all passengers receive a full refund. Norfolk Island Airlines appreciates the effect of these cancellations on customers and will be working tirelessly over the next two weeks to ensuring all affected passengers are refunded*.

The last Norfolk Island Airlines scheduled service will be ON346 Norfolk Island to Brisbane on the 17th March 2018
---

zanzibar
26th Feb 2018, 07:42
Where/when was that Press Release published? Searched ( maybe not well enough) but can't find it.

Geez, I was pretty close to the money on this one with Norfolk Airlines officially pulling the plug on their services effective 18 March 2018.

---
Dear Customers

Norfolk Island Airlines advises that effective from the 18th March 2018 the airline is cancelling all passenger services.

Over the last 12 months the airline has endeavoured to provide Norfolk Island with additional independent passenger services to Auckland and Brisbane, however the airline has experienced significantly higher that planned operating costs and considers that continued passenger operations are not sustainable.

The decision to cancel these passenger services has not been made lightly and has been made in the best interests of all of our customers to ensure all passengers receive a full refund. Norfolk Island Airlines appreciates the effect of these cancellations on customers and will be working tirelessly over the next two weeks to ensuring all affected passengers are refunded*.

The last Norfolk Island Airlines scheduled service will be ON346 Norfolk Island to Brisbane on the 17th March 2018
---

TurboProp2120
26th Feb 2018, 09:44
It came put this afternoon just after lunch. I saw it on the Norfolk Island News Facebook page.

TBM-Legend
26th Feb 2018, 10:54
Quick, dust off VH-IBC,,,,,

AerialPerspective
27th Feb 2018, 03:26

---
Dear Customers

---
Gee... now let me see, if there had only been a way of foreseeing that it wouldn't work commercially... like say, THE THREE PREVIOUS TIMES IT HAS NOT WORKED OUT... I rest my case, these people are slow learners.