PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - using checked bag of person not travelling?

25F
20th Dec 2016, 17:38
We are a group of four booked to BCN and back over the next two weeks. I have already completed the check-in process for both legs. One of us needs to return early and we have therefore purchased a separate flight back. But can I still use the hold bag that is in her name for the flight she was originally going to be on, even if she is not travelling?

(By the way - when did Ryanair start to allow pooling of baggage allowances? Definitely after March 2013 as I have found a tripadvisor thread from that date on the subject).

Alsacienne
20th Dec 2016, 17:58
But can I still use the hold bag that is in her name for the flight she was originally going to be on, even if she is not travelling?

No, because she will be logged as a 'no-show' as she will have already taken her flight home and will not be checking in for her flight with the rest of you. OK so you may have her boarding pass, but it will need to be scanned at security and presented by hand (hers) at the gate and onboard the aircraft on embarking.

25F
20th Dec 2016, 18:11
Presumably I can use the kilos (as per link below) but put them in the two remaining bags...
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Baggage/Can-checked-baggage-allowances-be-pooled

Hotel Tango
20th Dec 2016, 18:20
I doubt if you can pool her weight allowance if she is not on your flight!

caaardiff
20th Dec 2016, 18:21
Assuming that at least 1 of the other passengers hasn't got a bag booked then you can usually contact them and ask them to transfer the bag of the person not travelling. If everyone has a bag already booked i'm not sure they will.

Alsacienne
21st Dec 2016, 06:40
ask them to transfer the bag of the person not travelling

If the 'them' is FR, it'll cost you ...

25F
28th Dec 2016, 16:57
If the 'them' is FR, it'll cost you . Fortunately I don't have to find out in the end, as the no-show is the one person without a bag in her name.

Piltdown Man
28th Dec 2016, 20:13
If the question is addressed RYR and you are looking for compassion or common sense then the answer is "**** OFF!". And on the same line, I can't wait to see what their holidays will not include. The greedy pikey will no doubt charge for beds, linen, soap, light bulbs, power, water, TV, internet etc. He'd charge for the daylight and the air you breathe if he could.

25F
29th Dec 2016, 22:14
@Piltdown Man: I am not exactly a fan of Ryanair but they have tried to be less obnoxious in recent years and the introduction of baggage-pooling is a good example.

"Ryanair - not as bad as we used to be" isn't a great marketing slogan but the approach seems to be working: Ryanair post solid Q1 results thanks to strong passenger growth | This is Money (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3175844/Strong-passenger-growth-helps-Ryanair-post-solid-Q1-results.html)

FWIW - we don't have much choice. Stansted is by far our nearest airport. Barcelona (or in a pinch Reus) are our only destination options. Not using Ryanair would dictate a much longer journey and either an unpleasantly early start or a disruptively late arrival. If it were just me I might take that option but I have young un's to consider.

jxf63
1st Jan 2017, 11:25
I flew FR from STN recently for the first time in years and it was a bit of a revelation.

STN Security is MUCH better than I remember: I was through in a few minutes.

Airside was perfectly fine, if crowded.

Boarding was very well-organised, much better than recent experiences on BA !!

The aircraft was brand-new and very clean and tidy, the staff were friendly and helpful, and we departed on time.

I would've been happy on a £70 ticket but it actually cost £6.99 :D

750XL
1st Jan 2017, 14:35
Give them a shout using the 'Live Chat' feature on their website, they've always been very friendly and helpful for me

Davef68
11th Jan 2017, 13:56
I

Airside was perfectly fine, if crowded.

Which it wouldn't be if they hadn't filled it up with a mile long shopping arcade