PDA

View Full Version : Question for Canadians or Other Very Knowledgable People

Aerobot
18th Dec 2016, 14:33
Hello,
Always looking to expand my horizons, I've been looking into more overseas work. I contacted CHC and other Canadian operators and was told that I would indeed be a candidate - if I only had Canadian flypaper.
All the cards in my licenses wallet are from the FAA.
I've done a bit of reading and I've found that after I get a Canadian medical from a Canadian flight surgeon I can sit the Canadian exams for the Canadian versions of the cards in my wallet.
But I can find no mention of Canadian checkrides.
Can it be that I could do the conversion entirely on the ground by sitting exams?
Thanks.

heliduck
18th Dec 2016, 15:32
My experience is a few years out of date but a check ride was required. Speak to Chinook helicopters in Abbotsford, they'll set you straight.

Mustapha Cuppa
18th Dec 2016, 15:34
Have you seen https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/managementservices-referencecentre-acs-400-2143.html#5.0?

pilot and apprentice
18th Dec 2016, 15:43
Yes, reciprocal licence agreement in place. TC-FAA

BTW: nothing Canadian about CHC any more

Good luck

inputshaft
18th Dec 2016, 20:26
Fair question, but weird in the context that CHC Global, the division that does the international work you talk about, has been laying off left, right and center for the last year. It now only has two bases and has many laid off pilots to chose from, if a position comes up.

Also, it's been several years since CHC required a Canadian license. A mix of Canadian, FAA and EASA has been common for the background licenses for pilots working in areas requiring a national validation. Otherwise a Cayman license and aircraft reg had been the licensing authority of choice for the smaller operations.

Omantis
19th Dec 2016, 15:39
No check ride required anymore pal. In simple form....just a process of checking the authenticity of your FAA ticket and then a written...

I'm currently converting my TCCA to FAA and it is similar formate