PDA

View Full Version : Swissport strikes ...

ExXB
17th Dec 2016, 16:56
Apparently Swissport employees are going on strike 23 December at Numerous locations.

Family is travelling from Bristol to Geneva on that day on an airline handled by Swissport.

Understand that these things are resolved usually before the day, but family is getting a little worried - and considering their options, including driving!

They could get away without baggage, if that was to make a difference.

Anyone have any information on what contingency plans the airlines may be implementing - cancelling, operating without carrying baggage, having regional VPs smash the bags themselves?

A [virtual] beer to the best answer.

PAXboy
17th Dec 2016, 17:52
If money not a problem, rebooking sooner than later will be the way to ensure getting there. If they are using Bristol, depending on where they live, look at routing (and handling agents) from Cardiff, Birmingham and Exeter. If they can get to, say Munich, then they can catch a train from there. There will be (almost) too many options to consider.

If money is a problem. Then they can only make some alternative plans and wait to see if they are needed. If the strike goes ahead, then the alternatives will cost even more.

ExXB
18th Dec 2016, 10:18
They are now rebooked on the Thu flight. Squuezy did charge them to change, which I think is a little mean given the circumstances. Realise it's not their 'fault', but it isn't the pax fault either.

HeartyMeatballs
18th Dec 2016, 10:44
Are sameLegroomAsBritishAirwaysJet flying hand baggage only flights does anyone know?

I believe Ryanair have suggested they will. Although I must admit I have no idea how you would do it without a dispatcher or PSAs at the gate. Or cabin bag offloads into the HOLD. Then once onboard & ready to go how you push back with no ground crew, wing walkers or tug drivers.

PAXboy
18th Dec 2016, 11:29
Sounds like standard FR publicity. State clearly that you are ready to go and then prove that it was not your fault and that's why no compensation. But then, I'm a cynical b@stard.

750XL
18th Dec 2016, 11:58
It's not everyone at Swissport striking, mostly just ramp, baggage hall and dispatchers. There will also be a percentage of those who are not in the union and will not participate in the strike.

Ryanair are infamous for operating 'hand luggage only', that's what they'll do. They did it for months last year when MAD ramp handlers were on strike every weekend. I'm not sure which side caved in eventually :*

Personally, I don't think there will be many (if any) cancellations but certainly a lot of 'carry on only' flights and lengthy delays :ok:

Oh, and the strike is 23/24th with further strikes on 6/7th Jan

HeartyMeatballs
18th Dec 2016, 12:36
Good on Ryanair for doing them.

People would rather fly.

caaardiff
18th Dec 2016, 15:46
It's only Unite members that will be striking. I know at Cardiff the media is saying there will be little to no impact as there's only 6 unite members! Not sure how it affects other stations.

ExXB
18th Dec 2016, 16:15
More than 1,500 check-in staff, baggage handlers and cargo crew, members of Unite, will walk out for 48 hours at 00.01am on Friday ...

Unite, which has Swissport members at Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Doncaster, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick Glasgow, Heathrow, Leeds/Bradford, Luton, Manchester, Newcastle, and Southampton and Stanstead ...

At present it is unclear which airports and airlines will be affected, though Unite has Swissport members at the following airports: Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Doncaster, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Gatwick Glasgow, Heathrow, Leeds/Bradford, Luton, Manchester, Newcastle, and Southampton and Stansted.

For its part, Ryanair says that “All our UK flights are scheduled to fly as normal, [but] we may operate hand-luggage only if the action proceeds.”

Various media reports

T250
18th Dec 2016, 17:39
At Gatwick they've only just come back handling just Virgin Atlantic, however their pilots are also separately working to rule so could be slightly more impact here...

PAXboy
20th Dec 2016, 16:45
UK airport staff call off 48-hour strike, Unite union says - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38386040)