PDA

View Full Version : All's well that ends well

Bull at a Gate
17th Dec 2016, 10:57
Helicopter pilot makes emergency landing with own family on board after mid-flight engine failure - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-17/family-survives-sydney-helicopter-accident/8129374)

belly tank
17th Dec 2016, 11:08
Well done to the pilot!...textbook outcome...this is what we all desire at the end of the day:D:D

Love the vision of the little boy giving a high 5 to the rescue crewy in the BK!....gold!

17th Dec 2016, 13:02
That's a bloody awful place to have to do an EOL - very well done to the pilot:ok:

hihover
18th Dec 2016, 05:04
Looks like he put it into the smallest confined area imaginable, and no run-on!!!:D:D

John Eacott
18th Dec 2016, 06:42
A few images for those who haven't international access to the ABC page. A zero speed auto with panache :ok:

http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/t/d/8/2/o/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gtd7r8.png/1481981167918.jpg

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/cebb98c7d7e47a13ede45c733aeb111f?width=1024

https://s.yimg.com/dh/ap/default/161217/chop_1.jpg

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/22b5dbf07f6c2d236614d1beaf7d45b5?width=650

Vertical Freedom
18th Dec 2016, 06:53
Good jobbie by the PIC :ok: welcome to the 'I survived an Auto following at engine failure' club :uhoh:

Buy this man a beer or 2 :p

John Eacott
18th Dec 2016, 07:10
Then should he have been flying over that area?

This is Australia: if you don't fly over the GAFA then you wouldn't get airborne.

ZnaLL87Zd_Y

Hot and Hi
18th Dec 2016, 07:17
Then should he have been flying over that area?Yes. Because engine failures are very rare events, and if it happens can be dealt with in said way.

My answer would be different if he hadn't made it back to shore (for those who haven't read the full article, the engine failure happened while flying over water).

Ascend Charlie
18th Dec 2016, 09:48
Islandlad, are you for real? If it was a requirement to have a forced landing area available 100% of the time, there would be very few choppers flying to very few places.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chances. Engine failures are rare as rocking horse droppings. Apply the correct auto techniques, and use a bit of sense when planning the trip (not over the top of active volcanoes) and the result will be good. Stay a pussycat, and you stay at home. But most people die in bed, so don't go to bed.

Ascend Charlie
18th Dec 2016, 09:49
...and it wasn't a mid-flight problem, it was an end-of-flight problem. he didn't continue after this. Get your facts straight, journalists!!

John Eacott
18th Dec 2016, 10:25
Not a requirement to have a forced landing area available 100% of the time

This is a genuine question

Flying an R44

Is it a requirement?

Land safe or crash onto. Or crash into the sea? Without floatation gear - i cant see any

Having asked and been answered three times, why do you persist. Is it because the answers you're getting don't match your desired outcome?

It was obviously within auto distance of land (if it was indeed overwater), so overwater/lifejackets is something that you have latched on to with little justification.

Give it a break.

18th Dec 2016, 10:48
According to the news reports, the 'offshore' over water part was a whole 50m - so not exactly a Pacific crossing.

If flying along the coast, which it seems he was, then with water on one side and bush on the other, the coastline would perhaps offer better options (perhaps a beach) for a forced landing. With no beach available then a well executed zero speed EOL into the bush was pretty much his only option and he performed it extremely well judging by the relative lack of damage to the aircraft (including the blades) and the minimal injuries sustained.

If every R44 pilot could pull that landing off, I would be very surprised.

Aluminium Mallard
18th Dec 2016, 13:19
Having walked through there quite a bit (family in the nearby town) the coastline can be pretty steep with plenty of big cliffs along there.
Pilot did well to get rid of all the forward speed but I noticed he said loss of power as opposed to engine failure... Will be interested to read the report.
Either way good result.

Brutal
18th Dec 2016, 13:30
crab....If every Military pilot could pull that landing off, I would be very surprised..:E

krypton_john
18th Dec 2016, 18:26
I suspect A.Mallard gets the point - and that the had some power available after the auto to 'land' with zero forward speed. That's my uninformed wild-arsed guess anyway.

18th Dec 2016, 20:59
Brutal - valid point:ok:

KJ - he did say he had to put the aircraft into autorotation so power loss vs engine failure is a bit nitpicky - if you still have some drive left at the end then its just a bonus.

krypton_john
19th Dec 2016, 00:02
Yeah I know Crab... naturally a big difference between an EOL and an autorotation to a powered landing - I think a lot of people assumed it was the former. If it was then it was god-like. If the latter then it was merely an outstanding bit of handling and airmanship! :-)

serf
19th Dec 2016, 01:20
Hmmm, I'm in Australia at the moment and watched an operator flying at a popular tourist site in an R44 at least half a mile offshore in a 25kt wind-no chance of making it back to land, it did have floats fitted though and the pax were given a 'floatation device' might be useful if they could get out in the event of ditching.

Scattercat
19th Dec 2016, 03:42
Serf .... and your point is? This is in complete compliance with CASA reg's. :ugh:

serf
19th Dec 2016, 03:58
Serf .... and your point is? This is in complete compliance with CASA reg's. :ugh:

I'm sure it is. Some airlines also have legal rosters that mean pilots become exhausted....doesn't mean it's right though, does it.

Ascend Charlie
19th Dec 2016, 05:16
Brutal:

Not sure how it is now, but when I was serving in Blue, our pilots were hugely proficient at touchdown autos, (every auto was a touchdown, unless at night or it was obviously going bad) and all were capable of a zero-speed. It's the poor civvies who rarely get training after the licence phase.

MJA Chaser
19th Dec 2016, 05:34
Was picked up today.
https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/videos/1476945498996245/

Bull at a Gate
19th Dec 2016, 06:06
Well, from what I understand, this bloke was a civvy (but may not be that poor).

19th Dec 2016, 07:32
KJ - I would have thought that if he had full power at the end, he might have hovertaxied to a better area - if he had some power left as he pulled pitch to cushion what he expected to be an EOL, I still reckon it's bloody good flying since the judgement of the flare and cushion height would be tricky over that bushy foliage.

Mark Six
19th Dec 2016, 07:39
Now I'm confused. Saw the pilot interviewed this afternoon and he said something like "You never know how you're going to react when you have a loss of power...or in this case a loss of transmission"! In an earlier interview he definitely said something about loss of power and autorotation.

Thomas coupling
19th Dec 2016, 11:39
I suspect he'd switched the donk off in the descent looking at the condition of the blades. Might be wrong.
Either way (EOL / auto) a fantastic bit of poling by a PPL. Congrats to the driver and if he gets to read this - the beer's on me as I'm over there for Chrimbo/NYE!!!
Your kids must think your a bloody hero!:ok:

belly tank
19th Dec 2016, 11:58
On the news tonight...
Maybe the nerves of being on tv :uhoh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmOL4AM45q0&feature=youtu.be

lmOL4AM45q0

aa777888
19th Dec 2016, 13:16
Crap, none of the AUS youtube videos are viewable in the USA :(

Proxtube can't run them, either :ugh:

19th Dec 2016, 15:04
Not in UK either:(

MightyGem
19th Dec 2016, 19:56
and no run-on!!!
I did a 4 month attachment with the Australian Army Aviation back in 1987. During my conversion onto the Jetranger, I was taught to always aim for a zero speed touchdown for that very reason.

If every Military pilot could pull that landing off, I would be very surprised.
See above.

Squeaks
19th Dec 2016, 22:03
Crap, none of the AUS youtube videos are viewable in the USA :(

Proxtube can't run them, either :ugh:

It could be 7 News that is blocked: try this?

8wnbXQm-j64

Why is it the likes of serf and islandlad feel a need to jump in from the other side of the world and criticise? The pilot pulled off a pretty good result, and was flying legally in the region where the accident happened and under Australian air regs.

If you have another set of rules under which you operate, bully for you. But leave out the snide 'holier than thou' stuff, eh?

CYHeli
20th Dec 2016, 00:26
It looks a touch windy! job well done given the circumstances.
The guys in the Bell were having trouble holding it steady in the gusts and I guess they had to pick up the Robbie again to put it fully on the trailer.

megan
20th Dec 2016, 00:44
I'm in Australia at the moment and watched an operator flying at a popular tourist site in an R44 at least half a mile offshore in a 25kt wind-no chance of making it back to landThere are operators flying Robbies who do scenic flights from pontoons on the Great Barrier Reef, miles and miles and miles from any land. Any emergency landing is going to be a water one, unless close to the pontoon of course, though I wouldn't be trying for an EOL to a pontoon. :p Aircraft properly fitted and all legal. Want a flight? You accept any associated risk, as with any endeavour.

CINX-Ix0fLM

Scattercat
20th Dec 2016, 05:28
As an interesting aside ... several years ago, a friend of mine recovered (under-slung) an R44 from said pontoon following an EOL onto the water close to the reef. The previous scenic flight had been around the reef with a certain Judge (Judy) on-board. It's nice when the public get to see helicopters that aren't just "falling from the sky or exploding in mid-air".

20th Dec 2016, 07:11
If every Military pilot could pull that landing off, I would be very surprised in the days when many mil pilots were flying singles then yes, probably many would crack it. Nowadays with most flying twins, that skill level doesn't exist except perhaps amongst QHIs with plenty of previous single experience.

And a zero speed EOL in a jetranger is a much easier task to perform than in a Robbie:ok:

Thomas coupling
20th Dec 2016, 09:01
IF this was a genuine EOL, in a Robbo and with a PPL(H) at the controls then it is an exceptional act of airmanship, he should be very proud of pulling that off, especially in front a the most precious audience in his life!

Doing a zero/zero EOL into a confined space must be the hardest act of flying a helicopter on anyone's agenda. There is absolutely ZERO room for error and you get only one pop at it.

What intrigues me is the state of the blades, for even with an EOL landing there is residual energy in the head and those blades would have made contact with something, possibly. For them to appear to be intact suggests he came to a stop fractionally above the treetops/bush and then it fell into the opening for the last several feet.
Either that or he had it craned in and his family then did a photo shoot!! For the album you understand????:confused:

topendtorque
20th Dec 2016, 10:20
As usual TC, I believe that consistent with info that is being aired elsewhere that you have retained over the years, your critical analysis powers of observation to a high degree. merry Xmas tet

aa777888
20th Dec 2016, 11:33
Thanks, Squeaks, that did the trick! :-)

20th Dec 2016, 20:47
TC - or is it just that the height of the bushes is just below the height of the MR head? Those bushy bushes wouldn't do any damage until you got down to the harder woody bits so it is quite feasible that the EOL was real and the rotors just brushed the tops of the bushes as the Nr decayed.

Islandlad, don't be afraid to ask questions here - just ask them but phrase them nicely:)

20th Dec 2016, 21:57
IF this was a genuine EOL, in a Robbo and with a PPL(H) at the controls then it is an exceptional act of airmanship

If the pilot was well trained and well practised, what difference does the level of licence make?

Thomas coupling
20th Dec 2016, 22:12
601:
In my experience - very few PPL's stay current with autos let alone EOL's.
An EOL for a private owner is dodgy financial territory.

Islandlad:

You may have a point. I couldn't possibly confirm the skid clearance but there is a slim possibility she landed on top of the bushes, the rotors were stopped and she then settled as the bushes gave way. It would answer my query about the blades being intact too.

A water landing - double edged sword in this particular instance. Better surface to land on by far - as it is flat and obstruction free, thus minimising the risk to life of any impact damage during the auto/EOL. BUT what happens then?

Without flot bags and with a cabin full of people, the cab is going to flip or sink very very quickly and some or all of the occupants could get trapped.

Hence - given the opportunity - current teaching in the dunker is to jettison doors just prior to impact (before the door frames buckle - jamming the door shut).
Hope this helps.

Mark Six
20th Dec 2016, 22:52
I know this particular area well, having flown past it dozens if not hundreds of times. It is covered with very dense, low scrubby trees. It looks to me like the pilot has landed vertically (either under power or in auto) on the tree tops and they have supported the weight of the helicopter as they have collapsed beneath it. I don't believe he has executed a perfect zero speed auto to a helicopter sized hole in the trees. I'm very skeptical about the helicopter autorotating from an overwater position all the way to the landing site. Depending on exactly where it occurred he would have been at a maximum altitude of 500' or 1000' in order to stay below the control zone step. The pilot said he had 30-35 seconds to land the aircraft, and also mentioned a loss of transmission. I'm guessing he flew under power back across the coast and maybe then entered auto. He seemed to choose his words very carefully and I don't believe he ever actually used the words "engine failure". Just my opinion of course and I'm certainly not having a go at the pilot.

21st Dec 2016, 02:43
Mk6 - I don't think anyone suggested he managed to land in a small hole - it seems quite clear that he made the hole - but a zero speed EOL (if it was a true EOL) is still not an easy technique, especially with a low inertia rotor system.

Islandlad - yes, it looks like it landed and sank into the bushes - again very lucky because any forward or lateral speed could have cause the skids to catch and roll the aircraft over.

As TC says, water landings are best left to aircraft with boat shaped hulls (Sea King for example) or ones with flot gear (or proper floats) - height judgement again, without a rad alt, is tricky over the water so it is easy to flare too high and run out of Nr during the cushion phase when you realise there is a long way to go to the water.

601 - how many PPLHs practice EOLs in their own helicopters after they have their licences?????

krypton_john
21st Dec 2016, 02:50
"how many PPLHs practice EOLs in their own helicopters after they have their licences?"

I bet it is a number close to zero! Is it even required in any jurisdiction's PPL(H) flight test?

Thomas coupling
21st Dec 2016, 15:00
Krypton,

This is a phenomena spreading through the industry from end to end. PPL and mil are now steering ever further from EOL practice for a variety of reasons, mostly down to cost if there is a small risk of screwing it up.

The fraternity is therefore is in danger of its skill set being erroded.

The jury is STILL out with the Galsgow police helicopter going thru the roof of the Clutha public house several years ago.

The AAIB don't really know what happened between engine(s) out and hitting the rooftop but those who knew him and his training background recognise that EOL's didn't factor in ot much.

How many people on here - across the world - practice true EOL's to the deck?

Funny isn't it. A flying machine designed NOT to glide is being flown more and more by pilots who know NOT what to do at the end of the "glide".

All they ever see is the recovery to the hover, and away to fly another day.

Weird world of nanny state we live in.

ShyTorque
21st Dec 2016, 18:45

I'd think overall, about as many as fixed wing pilots who get to practice glide approaches to a landing in an airliner.....

Simulator EOL practice for the lucky ones.

muffin
21st Dec 2016, 19:20
My previous insurance policy specifically forbade solo autos, let alone EOLs.

albatross
21st Dec 2016, 19:23
When I used to fly single eng in Canada years ago.
All of our practice outos were to the ground ...47, 206, 206l, 350 and 205.
The good old daze.

n5296s
21st Dec 2016, 19:54
Curious to the difference between an EOL and an auto? Does EOL mean actually shutting down the engine? You'd have to be insane to do that imo. Or do you mean a full-down auto to an actual landing, as opposed to a power recovery auto?

fwiw, in the US at least, for a PPL-H you need to demonstrate competence flying an auto, but not a full down. That is needed for CFI-H (not even needed for CPL-H).

Personally I was lucky to have an instructor for a time who was happy to do full-downs but since I stopped flying with him, I have not done one. Most US schools etc REALLY do not want to do them. The outfit I currently fly helis with has one instructor (their chief pilot) who is willing to do them, though I haven't flown with him.

I regret it, because they're a real challenge and a lot of fun. But there it is.

Squeaks
21st Dec 2016, 21:11

Fairly standard in Oz. Including 50ft/50kt EOLs for currency if you have a low level endorsement.

Thomas coupling
21st Dec 2016, 21:44
Squeaks: kindly expand on your statement would you?
Is this PPL's, instructors, who does this? You are right on the edge of the dead mans curve @ 50/50. I challenge any PPL to survive this without trashing the cab.

krypton_john
21st Dec 2016, 21:50
50' 50kt and lined up on finals to a nice smooth paved runway?

MightyGem
21st Dec 2016, 21:56
Does EOL mean actually shutting down the engine? You'd have to be insane to do that imo.
In the AAC, we used to do EOLs all the time with students, in Gazelles, with the engine at Ground Idle. Once committed to a landing there was never any option to go to Flight Idle and fly away, so one day I shut it down completely. Guess I must have been insane.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
21st Dec 2016, 22:01
Mighty Gem,

Dead on. My instructor in Advanced Rotary only arrived at Wallop with an EOL to the ground, sometimes zero speed, always in various speed/height configurations. Same with various QHIs on Squadrons, although not all.

NEO

Squeaks
21st Dec 2016, 22:13
50' 50kt and lined up on finals to a nice smooth paved runway?

I wish! Over the grass and following a flight path that would be done when low level, not into wind, but with an area to aim for when the throttle is chopped.

Squeaks: kindly expand on your statement would you?
Is this PPL's, instructors, who does this? You are right on the edge of the dead mans curve @ 50/50. I challenge any PPL to survive this without trashing the cab.

OK, not for PPLs but that wasn't seen as the question. CPL and ATPL stuff, we're the ones with the low level endorsements flying low level here on fires, filming, sling loads, power line patrols, etc etc.

aa777888
22nd Dec 2016, 02:32
I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the relative risks of full downs in low inertia ships, i.e. Robinsons, vs. everything else.

In the Robinson risk vs. reward department, yeah the landing might not be pretty given the average private or commercial U.S. certificate holder almost certainly has never done a single full down in a Robinson, but at least everyone has a good chance of walking away. Trade that against how many Robinsons do you want to write off in training until people can do the full down part well?

Wait, don't answer that last part, because some wag is going to say "All of them, please!" ;)

Gordy
22nd Dec 2016, 03:18
https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/33610895/crashed-helicopter-transported-from-royal-national-park-to-bankstown/#page1

I watched the video but cannot post a direct link to it----but someone needs to go back to basic long line class..... this is pretty sad.

Full video here for those with FB:

https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/videos/1476875899003205/

Senior Pilot
22nd Dec 2016, 03:53
https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/33610895/crashed-helicopter-transported-from-royal-national-park-to-bankstown/#page1

I watched the video but cannot post a direct link to it----but someone needs to go back to basic long line class..... this is pretty sad.

Full video here for those with FB:

https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/videos/1476875899003205/

Gordy, this has been discussed since post 37 :ok:

Gordy
22nd Dec 2016, 16:40
Senior Pilot

Gordy, this has been discussed since post 37

I think you mis-understood my post. I think the original pilot did an excellent job of getting the aircraft on the ground with no injuries.

My post was referring to the pilot of the recovery team slinging the R-44. He had the aircraft swinging everywhere and never actually got the thing fully on the trailer. The only post that talked about that was number 38, all the rest are discussing EOLs.

22nd Dec 2016, 17:12
It is part of the problem with having an aerodynamic item (ie a helicopter) underneath another helicopter - it wants to fly and is badly affected by the swirl of the downwash. Add in some crosswind and it can get quite sporty.

However, using more lines attached to the 'load' would have helped the ground team keep it all in order.

I watched a Lynx, underslung from a Chinook start to swing and then suddenly fly back and up with the tail boom of the Lynx coming very close to the rear rotor of the Chinook. South Armagh circa 1985.

Nubian
22nd Dec 2016, 18:18
Crab,

The aerodynamics of the 44 helped the sling pilot to it's target being a VERY stable load. For the start it looked good, but the swinging of the load was induced by the pilot stirring the pot and not being in control of his load.
The oldest excuse in the book for this, is to blame it on the wind or downwash and I see it all the time with pilots not being current in longline work or with new pilots.
The ground crew could have helped out a bit with good hand signals though...

Your aerodynamic instability is true if we talk about light plane recovery, boats, parabolic antennas, survival shacks, drill floors, flat packed containers, packs of corrugated roofing sheets etc, not a 5-600 kg (lawn) dart

All external loads have it's own Vne which will ruin your day if you go past or at least scare you, and In your Lynx story the pilot of the Chinook flew past the Lynx's Vne as cargo :E

The video of the CH53 that dropps the CH47 that got out of control is a perfect example.

Gordy
22nd Dec 2016, 20:46
Well put Nubian:

The aerodynamics of the 44 helped the sling pilot to it's target being a VERY stable load.

I agree 100% :cool:;) This one was an auto to a field in the middle of the Trinity Alps in Northern California:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/Helo-general/100_1438_zpsugr9yjet.jpg

22nd Dec 2016, 21:12
Nubian - you seem very quick to blame the pilot without being able to assess the conditions of the day.

A helicopter fuselage will tend to weathercock into wind - fine if you have decent airflow over the length of the fuselage but not at slower speeds. An aircraft with a bigger tail assembly (tail boom and fin) would be better but the Robbie has very little windage aft of the rotor mast.

Why else did they attach a drogue to the tail other than to try and keep it straight?

ShyTorque
22nd Dec 2016, 21:15
Curious to the difference between an EOL and an auto? Does EOL mean actually shutting down the engine? You'd have to be insane to do that imo. Or do you mean a full-down auto to an actual landing, as opposed to a power recovery auto?

fwiw, in the US at least, for a PPL-H you need to demonstrate competence flying an auto, but not a full down. That is needed for CFI-H (not even needed for CPL-H).

Personally I was lucky to have an instructor for a time who was happy to do full-downs but since I stopped flying with him, I have not done one. Most US schools etc REALLY do not want to do them. The outfit I currently fly helis with has one instructor (their chief pilot) who is willing to do them, though I haven't flown with him.

I regret it, because they're a real challenge and a lot of fun. But there it is.

The RAF taught and required EOLs to the ground. On the Whirlwind 10, students had to complete a 45 minute solo EOLs sortie as part of the basic rotary course (prior to wings standard). It was discontinued after the introduction of the Gazelle. Once the speed select was brought back with the flight idle stop out, it was prohibited to attempt to bring the turbine engine back into play. So you were committed to land one way or another. Same with the Gazelle, once the throttle was back, you were committed to a landing.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
22nd Dec 2016, 23:05
Shy Torque,

:ok:

Same in the Army.

NEO

megan
23rd Dec 2016, 00:21
Same with the Gazelle, once the throttle was back, you were committed to a landing. Why was that Shy? Went for a ride in a 341 when it was on demo in Oz in the early '70's and this feature always puzzled me. Didn't have the opportunity to quiz the demo pilot.

23rd Dec 2016, 05:53
Megan, it wasn't impossible - I have done it once - but it was actively discouraged to prevent damage to the clutch ISTR. Once you pulled the throttle back to idle (lever in the roof) you weren't supposed to advance it again until you had completed the EOL.

Nubian
23rd Dec 2016, 07:21
Crab,

I take it from your other posts on here that you're not a production longline pilot, hence you don't see the situation as Gordy, myself and proficient pilots in our game.
The fact that the pilot is not able to get the load under control although using a horrible long time, only to put it down on the ground and be helped by the ground staff tell the tale.

But it amazes me that whenever things like this is being pointed out, there is a resistance to accept the facts and there is excuses left and right and finishing with the conclusion: job well done chap! windy conditions, gusts, downwash etc......

Then it is time to RTB for tea and medals......

Sorry to interrupt the EOL debate.

Happy holidays!

Squeaks
23rd Dec 2016, 09:04
The pilot in the Huey is a very, very experienced operator with some thousands of hours sling work. Look a little more closely at the video before hoicking insults at him.

The crewie could have done a far, far better job than standing under the load and getting in the way. The load should have been rigged with three or four tag lines, and two or three helpers positioned and briefed to stabilise the R44 onto the trailer.

The trailer was parked crosswind, a wide shot seems to show room enough for it to have been parked into wind.

And watch the surrounding scrub being blown around by a fairly gusty wind, taking the load (already trying to weathercock) away from the inputs by the pilot.

We all have bad days but there were some holes in the planning which had a far greater input than the driver!

Frying Pan
23rd Dec 2016, 13:31
So, to conclude perhaps, a PPL pilot does a great job of an auto into bush land, narrowly avoiding the sea. He saves his family although he is just a PPL. But, the video proves how comical the professional pilot performs in lifting the survived machine. Nothing better than watching someone else not doing it your way. :)

23rd Dec 2016, 17:32
Nubian, although I have done plenty of underslung load work from 8 to 80 ft strops but not production long line work.

However, a pink body on anything up to 245 ft of winch wire being delivered to the back of pitching and rolling fishing vessels or the tiniest of footholds on a dark and windy mountainside was my usual 'longline' load. All the same handling skills are required.

I think you are being too harsh from the comfort of your armchair on the pilot in question.

ShyTorque
23rd Dec 2016, 17:41
Why was that Shy? Went for a ride in a 341 when it was on demo in Oz in the early '70's and this feature always puzzled me. Didn't have the opportunity to quiz the demo pilot.

As Crab wrote, pilots were prohibited from attempting to re-engage the engine to avoid shock loading the transmission via the centrifugal clutch.

albatross
23rd Dec 2016, 17:45
The pre lift planning and ground crew briefing/training seems to be the big problem.
Wind conditions must have been pretty bad looking at the height/position variations in the hover.

23rd Dec 2016, 21:15
Not saying it was a pretty operation but I wouldn't automatically blame the pilot without justification.

Nubian
23rd Dec 2016, 21:47
Crab,

If I had the experience level as Squeaks say, and was performing as in the clip, I would not be insulted from the comments made here.
You compare is apples and oranges, but I'll refrain from starting a discussion on the differences. But I'm sure you're good at your ''thing''

Armchair?! he-he, have a look at the amount of post you have generated....

Squeaks,

No doubt you can have a bad day, and if the pilot is as experienced and proficient as you say, I am pretty sure he won't be insulted. The quality of the flying is not only down to the hours flown, although many believe so.

24th Dec 2016, 09:56
I'm sure you would have done a much better job than him Nubian:rolleyes:

newfieboy
24th Dec 2016, 21:50
:ok:I lifted an R44 out the Boreal Forest last year. Although in a slightly more bent shape. Both occupants unfortunately killed. They fly fine in the cruise, but once rotor wash hits them on short final....same deal, putting it on a low loader with a cross wind. She went on no probs, but quite a work out and that's with over 10G hrs doing precision/production stuff. Also had the pressure of the RCMP, OPP and TSB looking on.That was probably the tenth A/C longline recovery for me.Mind you hadn't long lined in a couple of months as been on forestry spray. I agree Crab et al...you might have a few tho hrs doing strops ,decks and wets etc....but single pilot longline bit like IFR, if you haven't done it in a month or so, first couple of turns take a bit to get into. No SAS,auto hover and crew looking out the door. Anyways back at her on Boxing Day, be safe boys/girls....Merry Xmas!

Octane
30th Dec 2016, 06:58
Was the machine completely undamaged?!