PDA

View Full Version : frustration

pipergirl
6th Jul 2002, 12:09
hi all
just wanted to get a general view...i have done part of my training and have gotten to the stage where i cannot continue for quite a while...i would finish my flying tomorrow if i could, but the only thing stopping me is money...
is there anyone else out there who feels the same/in the same boat..does anyone have any words of wisdom to help cheer me up/keep the chin up...
i'm getting a bit fed up with the money situation, but my desire to fly is as strong as ever!;)

Foyl
6th Jul 2002, 12:19
Totally understand, have had to put things on hold myself for the same reason.

Have you thought about scholarships? The AWPA here in Oz have a few, and I'm aware that the 99s also offer some international scholarships. Is there a British equivalent?

Good luck!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Jul 2002, 14:21
Piper Girl,

I can only sympathise with you, and I don't really think you can ever have a enough money in the plan, which brings me to ask the question, and please don't rip my face off for asking, but did you have a plan, or budget? Is it a question of you pressing on with the money you had and seeing how far you can get, or, are you near completion with your training, and the account has dried up?

Just curious :).

For what its worth, and it has worked for numerous people I know, total up your training costs, and add between 20% and 25% on top for the unexpected (over running of hours, re-taking exams, flight tests etc).

Hope you come into some cash soon.

jackmilehigh
6th Jul 2002, 16:45
Im in the same boat.
Did my PPL 10 months ago and started working and saving. Im in the trap where I cant really go anywhere fast. Im keeping current but if i go and blow my money ill just end up stuck again.

GAPAN have a ATPL scholarship going at the moment.

gorky
6th Jul 2002, 20:45
I have a secret plan for everybody who want become a pilot and need money: My secret plan is : GO WORK !!!

I_Love_CAA
12th Jul 2002, 16:55
Geeky or I mean Gorky,
u seem a funny and very thoughtful person, but for the realists on this mortal coil, its not quite so simple as GO WORK!!, I think its a testament to how much pipergirl wants to fly, she doesnt have the resources at hand, yet she is hanging on to her dream. Pipergirl, u can come flying wiv me anyday. Gorky, I pity the poor sod that sits in the LH seat nxt 2 u for 10 hrs. GO GEEKY!!

jonathang
12th Jul 2002, 19:43
Gorky, comments like that are just so helpful :mad:

Think we all know that.

JonathanG

Little Miss
12th Jul 2002, 20:11
Pipergirl it took me 2 and a half years to finish my FRZ ATPL and i ran out of money lots of times. I took out a career developement loan. I not sure if this is available still but my advice is if it is don t take it. Run in the opposite direction. It seemed a good idea at the time but now with no job and VERY high repayments life is tough and overtime is my best friend with the crappy job i do have. I m so sorry to hear you have run out of money but your dream will come true and eventually you ll get there and it will be the best feeling and even better when you ve struggled to get there.

Good luck and keep your chin up if i can do it anyone can
If you have the dream and the drive you ll do it.

GoneWest
12th Jul 2002, 22:49
I started flying back in 1973 - did only nine hours and then had to stop due lack of funds (despite lessons being only £15 per hour).

Started again in 1983 - and dedicated wednesday afternoon to be for flying, whatever the weather. If it was crap, but safe, we'd go IFR somewhere - just to be airborne.

The only civilian skill I had at the time (that I also enjoyed) was driving. I ran a driving school for six and a half days, drove coaches (hen parties and stag nights etc.) in the evenings and drove the occassional long distance truck in between.

Also found myself washing cars for relatives and neighbours at the weekends.

Managed to generate enough funds to get through most of the training - just had to get a bank loan for the qualifying cross country. The three hours of aircraft hire cost £120 and I didn't have that much.

I know it sounds a bit "Monty Python" (You were lucky!!) - but it's how I paid for my flying.

gorky
12th Jul 2002, 23:20
for some guys, it took up to 15 years to get the first paid flying job, so I dont see why airlines should give you a job with 200h and a frozen when high qualified are waiting since 10 years to sit in an airliner.
once again , it would be too easy if you just have to pay a school with a bank loan, have a nice job as an airline pilot then pay back your bank.
If you think life is like this, you are on the wrong way. Why dont you try to go to the USA or africa and log time with a friend, guys do banderol, instruct, ...they keep flying.
mmmh! you are not very motivated, because you have been train to be an airline pilot and you dont see why you should fly a small cessna for 4-5 years after spending so much money in a flight school?instead to complain to us on this board , why don t you go ask your school to give you a job.they trained you to be an airline pilot, now you are.If you dont have a job, who to blame, me or you?, me or your school?You should have thought about these things long time ago, in fact before to give your money to these schools.I told you since long time, that the system in europe was a "legal Scam" runed by flight schools, but nooooo way!!!, Ronchy is an idiot, ronchonner is wrong.Now who is wrong, him or you! Now I can see your face, you can not look at him in his eyes, he was so much right!and you were so much wrong , wrong at a point you don't have money anymore.the only thing you bought with your money is a dream, the dream to become an airline pilot.(you are an airline pilot, on the license, so why do you complaint?)
Continue to play the Tom cruise in your damn schools, with your nice shoes and your briefcase full of useless jeppesen Chart and you expensive headset and aviator watch(you are ridiculous and you make me laugh!).You think you will become an airline pilot and you dont want to fly a plane smaller than a B737. Who are you?what do you expect?Be a pilot is an attitude, if you want be a real pilot, you must first to learn to wash a plane.I know teenegers who wash planes in their aeroclub after school, why they do that? because they like planes! any plane!so why dont you do the same thing and in exchange the club will give you some free hours.
Dam it, stop to complaint, find a way to fly, I place a thumb up on this thread, because if you want something in the life, you want something very strong, you will get it, in 5 -10 or 15 years.
this is valid for evertbody, even for me!:)

FRIDAY
12th Jul 2002, 23:55
O dear jesus, hows the anger management working out there gorky. I am all for being realistic and all that, give the facts whether they be negative or positive, but they should be constructive to the person seeking advice. What can pipergirl take from such a slating (nothing), so what the hell was the point in replying like that. Pipergirl wanted words of encouragement and you seemed miffed for some bizarre reason. This is the wannabe's forum, therefore for people who strive and yes "DREAM" of becoming pilots and look for constructive comments off others who have went before them.
Pipergirl you already know what needs to be done, you need the cash so earn it,and when you've finished for the day you should be hanging around your local airfield. keep those skills fresh and your finger on the pulse with the industry, make contacts and network and utilise your time, You will be asked in interviews how you spent this time so what do you think they will want to hear.
Gorky, go easy now. :rolleyes:

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Jul 2002, 23:58
I despair!

robpowell69
13th Jul 2002, 00:16
Gorky, u r the weakest link.

Non Iron Chippy
13th Jul 2002, 02:30
Pipergirl

You posted a few weeks ago looking for info on the BFS Flying Club, don't know if you managed to get in contact with anyone.

I was certainly helped immensely by everyone there throughout my training.

How far advanced are you? PPL or a CPL/IR looking for options?

whisperbrick
13th Jul 2002, 15:58
Pipergirl,
we have all had moments like this.Try and stay current, but if I were you i wouldn't rush to qualify because there is not much out there;aim to complete in about 9 months to a year.

Personally 3 months after being made redundant i am going to take a poor job,try and forget about flying until the end of the year and chill,i could chew my nails to the bone worrying about it.

Gorky, you didn't have a relative called manuel who worked in a guest house in the south west of england did you?

gorky
13th Jul 2002, 21:57
sorry piper girl,
I have been a little rude. We know, truth is not always nice to hear.We are all in the same boat, so welcome on board.
Try to take a small job, keep ur lic. current and go fly sometimes if you can.
:)

G SXTY
15th Jul 2002, 11:36
That’s the spirit Ronchonner. You just keep taking the happy pills. :rolleyes:

Pipergirl
There can’t be many of us who haven’t been in your situation at some stage. I’ve had to stop flying twice in the last year because of the missus being unemployed. It’s frustrating as hell (although not as bad as being unemployed), but you’ve just got to keep slogging away at it. A couple of thoughts, for what they’re worth:

(1) It could always be worse. There are plenty of people who will never get the chance to fly, either because of finances or medical problems. I consider myself privileged to be flying at all. (Off topic slightly, but it illustrates the point: I did a 60 mile charity bike ride yesterday. Half way through, with a very sore bum and feeling very sorry for myself, I passed a bloke on a mountain bike with a false leg. Stopped me moaning for a while, that did).

(2) Take it one step at a time. If you look at the blood sweat and tears required to get from zero hours to the right hand seat of an airliner, it can be daunting to the point of putting you off completely. Break the challenge down intro smaller, incremental chunks, and it starts to look less scary. I don’t know what stage you’re at, but taking the PPL as an example: aim for the exams, then 1st solo, then solo land-away, then the QXC, etc etc. You don’t climb Everest by running all the way to the top . . .

Good luck, and hang in there!

pinkpilot
22nd Jul 2002, 16:14
I spoke to HSBC bank in Oxford cos I will probably to the CPL in Oxford and the bamk will give a professional development loan. I told her that I would be in Ireland and she said that there was no problem with that. And there were no s******s on the end of the phone line when I gave the figure I wanted to borrow.
Pp

quidam
22nd Jul 2002, 22:44
Roy Castle reckoned "Dedications all you need"

Think in this industry sheer determination is more accurate.

We've all faced the financial juggling games, and its only reallythe thought of the gold bars that keep most of us going and sane :)

Think positive. You could ahev gone rotary (I did) - frighteningly far more expensive :(

I'm also not flying for a time. Not due to money but due to a very brief arguement I had, and lost with a lorry. Not good when you're riding a motorcycle :(

Have ages till i'll be able to try and regain my class1 medical so everything is at risk all due to someone else.

after the initial low I'm now just concentrating on using the time when I'm not having to work to study like mad for my remaining ATPL exams.

Think it all comes down to using the situation to your advantage. focus on something that you need to achieve, do that now, and then free up the flying time when you've got the dosh.

best of luck

Q

fesmokie
22nd Jul 2002, 23:48
Thats what happens when you land inverted too many times. Dain Bramage