PDA

View Full Version : Is A Bachelors required for becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot

Rohan1357
16th Dec 2016, 12:15
To be a commercial pilot, is undergraduate degree mandatory?
If so, should I take a degree on Aeronautical Engineering or Is it okay if I take a non aviation degree like business or economics.
Which is better? Studying a bachelors in aviation related field or the latter?

If so, should I take a bachelors first and then go for the CPL training or should I try the opposite way.
I saw some colleges giving college credits for completing the CPL programme, so that I can complete my bachelors quicker.

Which is the best option?

gbotley
16th Dec 2016, 16:12
This is perhaps more suited to the Wannabe section..

In the UK a degree is no longer sought after as much as it once was. There are many degree programs cropping up like the ones you mention and whilst I can't comment on them personally, I do know of cadets in the industry undertaking them.

Most airline schemes, or those integrated programs at larger schools require you to simply have G.C.S.E.s. easyJet, however, seem quite keen on you having decent A level grades or a degree at 2:2 or higher. They are the only one i know of still looking at it to that level although I welcome others reading to prove me wrong and add additional detail.

I personally have a degree and undertook one (in I.T.) to provide a fallback career as this industry is so volatile it's ridiculous. In addition, I didn't feel suited to flight training at age 18 nor was I in a position to fund it. Looking back university helped me grow up a bit more and for that i'm thankful.

Ultimately, do what's right for you. If you are to undertake a flying based degree, do some serious reading on them to make sure they're right for you.

rudestuff
16th Dec 2016, 22:35
No. You do, however, need a Pilot licence...

RedBullGaveMeWings
16th Dec 2016, 22:57
It is not required in Europe. It's a thing in the US and less so in Canada as far as I know.
If I were you, a degree in another field might form your back-up plan to fall on should your career not take off or worse should you lose your medical.