PDA

View Full Version : Flag_Carrier_Market

austrian71
16th Dec 2016, 07:22
Hello Guys!

As you realized the Flag Carriers are hiring more and more direct entries in these times. I would appreciate your advice concerning my specific situation:
Capt. A320, 46y., with an european charter airline, china and dessert is no option for me due to principles and political reasons, so now my home airline invites me to join as F/O, yeah - maybe coming home again :)
My two small boys are 1 and 6, so you can imagine family is a major issue for me, the money as F/O would be enough, I also dont see a problem to wait another 10-15 years for the upgrade, but many friends dont advice me to that step giving up my command. Now I am not sure and hope for a lot of inputs from you,

EGKK.
16th Dec 2016, 07:34
Easyjet?? it's really not a national carrier but it pays as well and allows you to keep your command. Various european bases to choose from inc London which allows you to commute to most places in the world.

Nerdu
16th Dec 2016, 08:45
My guess is that we are talking about Austrian here. If you can live with the rather lowish starting salary now is a good time to join. There are now 200+ NFF on 2-year contracts and only a very small number of these is considering to sign a permanent contract (maybe some austrian citizens who don't mind to lose their ticket to Lufthansa). This means that everbody who joins now will gain a lot of seniority in a very short timeframe. Careerwise things are picking up quickly now with Longhaul F/O positions now down to 4 years of seniority and commands under 10 years, this will however slow down again in my opinion as expansion is uncertain (and very much depandant on what happens in Luftyland).

Generally speaking it is a nice company with most guys being fun to work with and if you live or want to live in eastern austria it is really the only viable long term option.

PlankBoy
16th Dec 2016, 09:08
http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/538503-ba-direct-entry-pilot-5.html#post8478826

Council Van
16th Dec 2016, 09:11
Look at the roster, look at the salary, look at your finances, is the job with the national carrier secure in the long run?

Now place a value on the amount of time you have with your family.

Decide what is most important to you.

Come to your own decision that best suites you and your family.

Your children are only young once, you can never get time spent/not spent with them back.

MD80rookie
16th Dec 2016, 15:29
Go for the F/O position, you could always find another CDR position should you wish. If you have a few thousand hours PIC you will easily get a job somewhere else later on.

What counts in my opinion is:
-family
-family
-family
-family

We pilots are generally (more than other professions) tied to one job, and afraid to make a jump.

Best wishes whatever you choose!

Elephant and Castle
18th Dec 2016, 07:00
Once you have been in the RHS for 12 months it will NOT be easy to find a DEC position as most jobs require PIC time within the last 12 months