PDA

View Full Version : Widows Defender keeps needing to be run

Loose rivets
15th Dec 2016, 19:59
. . . by me. I've set it to do it's own thing but I keep getting the amber Defender screen and have to start the scan.

I can find no timing settings at all.

Also, it seems to have to be run a lot which is kind of retrospective, certainly not real-time.

It never used to do this.

Oh, as someone with free Kaspersky entitlement, I'm opting away from anything Russian. Not a moral thing, just don't want a madman in control of something in my computer.

Paranoia? Maybe, but it's the first time I've let anything like this worry me and I feel it's a very real threat. One man could shut down millions of computers.

Guest 112233
15th Dec 2016, 21:38
Have you tried Malware Bytes (Free) as a standby test; to look for something nasty.

The other option is will Win Defender run in safe mode try that.

Crap Cleaner. CC Cleaner: run the registry cleaner option and see what comes up. Do not a this stage, delete anything unless you are sure.

I take it Windows Defender is your primary anti malware/ anti virus package - Groogle "Defender restarting repeatedly

Haver you just had a windows update ?

For starters

What version of windows O/S are you running ?

CAT III (Win 7/8.1 user.)

Edit: (Nov15 Post: Norton and Win Defender fighting each other results in this scenario.)

Loose rivets
16th Dec 2016, 13:32
Yep, got MB, and the MS defender keeps working (or so it says) but still the warning on the bar shows an ! - Set to custom it enables me to pick the targets etc.

It's just that their Hello screen prompts me to start a scan, the buttons and top are amber.

Despite this it shows up to date and Real time protection on.

There is no "timing setting" to say when it will run so that I can make sure the computer is on.

It's so frustrating to have the full version of what was once the top-rated AV in the world, but be very nervous about using it.

Guest 112233
16th Dec 2016, 14:08
I cannot seem to find details of a windows Defender schedule option either in Win 10 - Am I missing the obvious somewhere ? I assume you are running Win 10 in one of its release forms.

I think the best option is to install an alternate Anti Virus program of your choice.

For the moment I'm running Norton (used because of a remaining licence) and will be replacing it with AVG free in Feb 17. on both the Win 7 Pro & Win 8.1 PC's.

My main problem at this time is possibilities of external vulnerabilities with my router.

Does Win 10 support SFC/Scannow as a quick check on system file integrity.

Try this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/instantanswers/66eb0a31-2a59-4c90-ba5b-23bcdfb6f185/schedule-a-scan-in-windows-defender

CAT III

Loose rivets
17th Dec 2016, 00:05
Yes, 10 Pro. I knew there was another thing I'd forgotten mention or do. :ugh:

It's been my intention for a long while to call Barclays bank AV department, but just haven't got around to it. Doing very little takes a long time these days.

I'm surprised no one, including other forums I go to, don't see a danger in using a Russian company.

AVG may well be the answer but I didn't much like the Skin on some of those freebies. Childish, comes to mind.

The trouble is, or might be, if I lost money by fraud, it's likely Barclays would use the absence of their AV as reason not to pay out.

EGTE
17th Dec 2016, 09:07
I had the same thing with Windows Defender always needing to run.
It wasn't Windows 10, CCleaner was the cause.
I unticked the Windows Defender box in CCleaner Cleaner > Applications > Utilities.
Windows Defender now runs when I want it too.

It might be an idea to check that any cleaner application you use is not deleting the Windows Defender entry.

Loose rivets
17th Dec 2016, 20:17
It was! And now it's off. I wasn't thinking laterally - I'd even had some experience with that when the 'Recent' files in MS Word were being deleted by CCleaner.

Waiting with bated breath.

Either way, thanks for the heads up.