PDA

View Full Version : new AME looking for advice

flyer_doc
15th Dec 2016, 11:09
I've recently upgraded from class 2 to class 1 AME for UK CAA

I'm in the process of actually going through the clinic set up process and wondered what pilots thought was good/bad about their experience of AMEs

I guess what I'm asking you all is what helps or hinders in your booking of an appointment, actually having the examination itself, and then the bureaucracy afterwards of certificate issue/seeking further information.

I'd love to hear from CAT, FIs anyone who has something semi sensible to say.

Also- who do you approach in the airline companies to discuss their needs-is if HR, chief pilot?

Thanks in advance.

Capt Scribble
15th Dec 2016, 19:57
I have had the odd medical problem as an older commercial pilot. What I appreciate from my AME that he makes the solution to that problem as simple as possible. He generally knows the options on the administrative procedure, and I get on and do what he needs. I stick with the same AME as I feel that someone who knows my history is able to give me the best advice to keep my medical going. On another tack, I like a good web based booking system. If you need the one I book through, pm me.

blue up
15th Dec 2016, 21:35
I've always thought it would be good to have a list in the AME filing cabinet of peeps with certain medical conditions that would be willing to talk with fellow pilots about their experiences. After I lost my licence I discovered that several other pilots I knew had suffered from the same issue but none of us had ever spoken about it. There is no central port of call for such things and the AME was the only person who knew about all of us.

It is a lonely sort of lifestyle that makes it hard for problems to be brought into the open.

My AME is also very good in that he is willing to interpret the rules in a sensible fashion.