PDA

View Full Version : Expat Insurance For Aviators

brendan.lidster
14th Dec 2016, 23:32
Hi All,

I'm an Australian currently based in Brisbane, but about to spend a lot of my time over in the Philippines for my current day job in Advertising. This will be going on for the next few years.

The goal while I'm over there is to do a licence conversion, get a local instructor rating and use this as a ticket for hour building on weekends. I currently hold an Australian CPL with ATPL subjects, a Multi-Engine Instrument Rating and an extraordinarily healthy 230 hours.

The big question is this: Where can I get cost effective insurance that would cover for piloting a light aircraft abroad?

My employer is happy to pay for Expat Insurance, but it's incredibly difficult to find one that doesn't exclude "piloting an aircraft" from coverage, or that charges a $5000 additional charge or more to remove that exclusion.

I'm not too worried about including life insurance or the likes, mostly health and third party damage coverage in the highly unlikely event of an off-field landing.

Happy for any skerrick of advice/wisdom that anyone can give me on this front.

Thanks all,

Brendan.

tail wheel
15th Dec 2016, 04:19
The goal while I'm over there is to do a licence conversion, get a local instructor rating and use this as a ticket for hour building on weekends.

Have you verified this will be possible in the Philippines and you can gain part time instructor employment?

I sincerely hope you are a very patient person........ :}

:E

ChrisJ800
15th Dec 2016, 05:48
There are some expats flying charter out of Angeles City Flying Club at Magalang Pampanga so you should talk to them. They have a website at Angeles City Flying Club- An Ultralight Flying Club and Pilot School (http://www.angelesflying.com/index.php)

pilotchute
15th Dec 2016, 08:06
I had Bupa whilst in Asia working as a Pilot. It was about $200 USD a month. It is Bupa UK not Australia that deals with expat insurance for Australians

LeadSled
15th Dec 2016, 13:11
Folks,
BUPA Denmark is really worth looking at, better terms and conditions than BUPA/GB or /AU, and lower premiums. Something to do with local legislation.
Tootle pip!!

brendan.lidster
15th Dec 2016, 22:33
Have you verified this will be possible in the Philippines and you can gain part time instructor employment?

I sincerely hope you are a very patient person........ :}

:E
Thanks everyone!

I sincerely hope you are a very patient person........

I know exactly what you're referring to there. Definitely not my first trip to the Philippines Sir, so I'm fully aware of what I'm in for. Lots of deep breaths and pausing will be required.

I've met up with the guys at Omni Aviation out at Clark on a previous trip. They generally hire directly from their Instructor Course pool, provided you prove to be competent and there is demand.

They've previously hired an Australian who trained at the Gold Coast.

However, in the vein of "I sincerely hope you are a very patient person" I'm not pegging anything on this falling remotely in to place of course!

Sue Ridgepipe
18th Dec 2016, 03:29
Check out Baymac as well. You have to pay to become a member to get access to their services, but it's not that expensive, and they have some good options for different types of insurance.

PilotInPink
18th Dec 2016, 10:54
ALC Health have an expat scheme specifically for pilots. They call it Flying Colours. I found it to be more cost effective than most other expat schemes and it's one of the only 'medical history disregarded' ones that I've seen (something about having a pilot medical means you must be healthy ha!)