PDA

View Full Version : Importing a helicopter to the UK

buttline
6th Jul 2002, 08:07
Does Anyone know about the issues involved in taking one from the U.S. back to the U.K.? I know that shipping will be about 15k USD. Can I fly it as 'N' reg or will it have to be CofA'd in the UK? If it stays 'N' reg, will there be restrictions on using it for commercial gain or leasing it to a school? Would VAT be due immediately or are there schemes to get around it, like with boats? Or maybe UK prices aren't that different and it's not worth it...?

'spose I could just stay in the U.S. instead but I've been out here for 5 years and my Mummy misses me.. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for your ongoing advice - I appreciate it and will stop bugging you with questions as soon as I figure out what the %#* to do next in the pursuit of this strange but burning desire I have to fly professionally!

flygunz
6th Jul 2002, 09:20
Buttline, not sure about shipping from the US but i recently bought an 'N' reg into the UK from Europe. Initially it seemed complicated but turned out to be straightforward in the end. You might need to consult an aviation Lawyer to get all your facts in order which although costly is less costly than sorting out tax issues at the port of entry!
As to using a 'N' reg here in the UK for commercial gain, hire & reward etc, very difficult. The CAA are not keen that foreign registered a/c take a living away from UK registered a/c. Having said that it's not impossible but a dry lease contract is usually the way. A potential client would dry lease the a/c at its DOC, hire the pilot separately and then pay the incidental costs, fuel, ldg fees etc.
The other fact is that its unlikely that a company would take your a/c on its AOC unless they sold it to you in the first place, i may be wrong and stand by to be corrected.
If you are intending to bring one in make sure you understand the rules within th ANO for public transport, floats etc for singles, if its a twin then not so much of a problem.
i've probabaly only scratched the surface here and there are many more knowledgeable dudes around with this sort of information, but i hope this helps.
Personally, i would stay in the states and enjoy the sunshine!!!

Rob_L
6th Jul 2002, 10:05
Mofification and equipment standards are a big pitfall. Many American mods are not UK approved and can cost megger bucks to approve or they have to be removed. For uk import certain modifications are mandatory and again can cost a fortune. If uk registering you need to find a maintenance organisation that has type experience and import experience for that type.

Helinut
6th Jul 2002, 21:29
It may be an attractive prospect but there are many pitfalls to trap the unwary and badly advised.

There is the major issue of UK certification, if you want it to be G- reg. You may need various mods which can cost a lot. If something on the aircraft is new to the UK you may need to go through CAA mod procedures. You should get a thorough survey by an engineer who is familiar with the type and get a complete list from him of what is needed, so you can gauge the cost.

A number of people have tried to prompt the CAA to allow them to use N reg helicopters for UK flying training - this has always been blocked by the CAA. I am almost certain that a N reg helicopter cannot be used for UK AOC work.

There is the option of "dry leasing" which is a bit of a loophole. It is not clear how much of it goes on - anyone involved in it is likely to keep a low profile, but you do see more and more N reg helicopters at the traditional special events.

I thought it was the case that only a US citizen could own a N reg aircraft which was why there are companies that set up US trusts to get around this??

Vfrpilotpb
7th Jul 2002, 12:06
The VAT on imports,

You would be well advised to talk to the Customs and Excise people, they will give you the A1 information that you need, also they will give you any details of any import taxes that HMG may try to levy on any goods that are seen to be being imported into our over regulated country, it is no good listening to any part timers, especially with the VAT conditions the Vat boys play hard games, and to be misinformed at the outset could make for a bad day , ( I once had five RR engines impounded by these folk, all for the lack of one cross missing in one little box on the export documents).;)

md 600 driver
7th Jul 2002, 12:08
i have imported 2 iinto the uk theres no big problems in opperating on the n reg
you need to register it in a us trust
you realy need to pay the vat
you can legally fly it on your uk licence in the uk
you will need a faa annual inspection[no probs here]
thats the short of it
you could fly it from the docks both mine have

if you want email me for tel no and we will speak

md 600 driver
9th Jul 2002, 17:23
butline
your email address does not work it just returns mail
steve

flygunz
9th Jul 2002, 19:54
MD600 dvr, presumably the heli must be on the UK register to fly using the Uk licence, am i right in thinking that limits you to the UK FIR? It would be interesting getting ramped in France!