PDA

View Full Version : Survey Flights operating in the Transition Layer?

Tikehau63
13th Dec 2016, 04:50
This is regarding the portion of flight during the actual flight SVY area and not transit to and from the SVY area.

Am I able to conduct a survey within the Transition Layer (i.e. FL107) in CTA or otherwise?

AIP states that and aircraft shall not 'Cruise' within the Transition Layer - however during the SVY the aircraft is not configured for 'cruising' - it's operating on reduced power, reduced speed and often not 100% clean - therefore it's technically not cruising is it?

13th Dec 2016, 21:34
If we had to operate at a true altitude, we would request a block i.e. A090 to FL110.

Tikehau63
14th Dec 2016, 00:03
I forgot to mention the survey area is entirely in Class E airspace - so block levels can't be used.

mcgrath50
14th Dec 2016, 01:43
AIP states that and aircraft shall not 'Cruise' within the Transition Layer - however during the SVY the aircraft is not configured for 'cruising' - it's operating on reduced power, reduced speed and often not 100% clean - therefore it's technically not cruising is it?

I think your logic of why you can do it is faulty but sure you can do it. For me it's airwork. When you submit your details for the survey area to ATC give them a buzz and ask if they'd rather a block or specific altitude request.

Tikehau63
14th Dec 2016, 08:48
I did this but they just wouldn't entertain the idea and I was quoted AIP that 'I can't cruise in the transition layer' - regardless of commercial SVY (or AWK) status.

Ixixly
14th Dec 2016, 11:11
Better yet, just call up ATC on the phone and ask them, if they say they're happy to give you clearance then it's all good! You could be worried about this one little rule but find they have other reasons they won't give you clearance anyway!

KRUSTY 34
14th Dec 2016, 18:54
I heard your exchange with ATC the other day. Thought it was a strange request.

Curiosity now satisfied.

ollie_a
17th Dec 2016, 03:13
Would VFR-on-top meet your requirements or do you need to be receiving a separation service?

17th Dec 2016, 05:23
Having only done survey work before the alphabet airspace was thought off, things may now be different. But ATC are there to "control," not dictate.

If you hare having no joy with Airservices, I would approach CASA explain what you require and see what happens.

andrewr
17th Dec 2016, 22:53
"Cruise" probably means anything other than climb or descend through the transition layer.

I expect the problem (and the reason the transition layer is defined) is your altimeter setting. What setting do you use on your altimeter to stay within your upper and lower bounds e.g. if you request a A090 to FL110 block level?

What setting do you report to ATC if they ask you to confirm your altitude? Can ATC be sure of your altitude on their displays relative to someone cruising at e.g. A095 or FL110?

Depending on QNH, there might be an altitude where you switch back and forth between FL and A altitude on the ATC display.

18th Dec 2016, 11:11
there might be an altitude where you switch back and forth between FL and A altitude

It can also be the case where you are doing survey at a true altitude. A block level is the only solution in this case.

Band a Lot
18th Dec 2016, 12:55
Request in written form your flight requirements from ATC in advance.

Ask them if they have a preference that a refusal should be directed (Labor, Liberal, Green in Melb) if refused.

I am no expert but ATC must accommodate aviation requirements, not make them

topdrop
18th Dec 2016, 21:23
I don't know of any controllers that would ping you for doing a survey in the transition layer - though I am sure it happens.
I suggest your company puts a Ops manual amendment into CASA for approval subject to whatever conditions - then just quote CASA approval to querying controller - that should shut them up.